Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Xpadder, my darling, I hate you. [How to use with HS AND emulator?]

Mydriaze

Hello everybody,

2 days i'm on Xpadder, and i'm struggling to get it works properly. (I've follow the youtube tutorial as well)

My goals: Using my XBOX 360 pad to control Hyperspin (browse games, exit HS, launch games etc...).

Right now I have issue with the settings. Works great in my Genesis emulator, but not in HS. I'm doing something wrong, but don't know what.

In HLHQ>Global>General settings tab>Third party tab:

K680CCQ.jpg

In HLHQ>Global>Keymapper>Xpadder tab: I have the choice to add a "New Xpadder profile". I have the following choice: default, frontend, hyperlaunch, or blank profile. I don't know which one to choose.

Questions:

1.Where I need to set up my xpadder profile in order to "control" HS? Is there's any screenshots or tutorial available?

2. Don't know exactly how to describe my issue... Once i've set up xpadder for Hyperspin (or I guess i've set it up correctly), i'm clicking on the system on the left column, select Keymapper tab>Xpadder tab, then I select "emulator profile".

F00Qy10.jpg

I'm a bit lost, i would like to start again from scratch the xpadder set up with your help, if possible. Can't wait to play my game on TV with my Atrox.

post-46168-142870636209_thumb.jpg

1.) If you're trying to control HS with your 360 pad you'll need to do that in HLHQ>Global>Keymapper. Choose "Frontend Profile" to create the profile HL uses with the frontend associated with it. It will initially only create a player 1 (p1.xpadderprofile) which you can edit in the lower section of that page. After your profile is created, all that's left to do is map the keyboard controls in HyperHQ to this profile.

*HyperLaunch was designed to load this profile after exiting a game and returning to the fronted (HS) so don't expect it to load when starting HS. The profile must be loaded to xpadder first and there's various methods to auto load that profile.

2.) Choose "System Profile" if you're not gonna get too deep off in customization imo. There's only a few systems that I really use more than one emulator for & if I can bypass mapping keys and losing translation, I try to. I generally choose "System Profile" with my HyperPause & exit keys mapped out. There's a few systems that use the Multidisc option but that's the basics, I believe.

Basically if you went into your Hyperlaunch/Profiles/Xpadder/System Name directory you will see a folder called _default. In that folder you will see p1.xpadderprofile and p2.xpadderprofile etc. You will also see folders named for the controllers you use. My player one is a Hori pad and my player 2 is a batarang, both 360 controllers. Those two folders contain a copy of p1.xpadder profile in the folder for controller 1 and, you guess it, a copy of p2.xpadderprofile in the folder named for controller two.

I usually create a "System Profile" in HLHQ and set things up how I want them in xpadder. Then I create a Controller Profile for each controller. Close X Padder and then copy the p1 and p2 xpadderprofiles over the newly created blank ones in the controller folders. Also, always SAVE AS when saving profiles from HLHQ.. I've found that just hitting SAVE can wreak havoc because it will save over the last profile that I created which would most likely be one for a different system :P

2 is the most important buttons you can use when adding profiles to Hyperspin

I'm going to use my N64 system as an example

System Profile: creates a generic default profile

adds a folder to

C:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Profiles\Xpadder\Nintendo 64\_Default\(ALL YOUR PROFILES GO IN HERE p1,p2,p3,p4)

This creates a default system profile that will be loaded when ANY N64 game is loaded.

this option should be avoided as it creates a generic default profile folder

if you switch emulators or have multiple emulators their is possibility of loading incorrect profiles for the emulators.

Emulator Profile: creates a emulator specific profile

if you add an alternative emulator to launch a specific game, you will want to load the correct profile to go with that alternative emulator

this adds a folder to

C:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Profiles\Xpadder\Nintendo 64\1964\(ALL YOUR PROFILES GO IN HERE p1,p2,p3,p4)

C:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Profiles\Xpadder\Nintendo 64\Project64 2.0.0.14\(ALL YOUR PROFILES GO IN HERE p1,p2,p3,p4)

My default emulator is Project 64, when I launch a game through Project64, I wan't my Project64 Xpadder profile to load.

When I launch a game through 1964, I wan't my 1964 Profile to load.

If I just make System Profile I will not be able to do that. When ever possible make emulator specific profiles.

Games Profile: Makes game specific profiles

I'm going to use Model 2 as an example.

In model 2 most of the games have their own unique controller,

Gun, Fighter or Racing.

you can't make a single profile to accommodate for all the configurations.

You can't use the System Profile or the Emulator Profile. You will have to make a

game specific profile for most of the games.

the 3 (arrow down) in your picture lets you test create and modify the actual profile. I created all my profiles outside of Hyperlaunch (I created them for Hyperlaunch 2).

I simply renamed them to P1-P4 and dragged and dropped them into the correct folder.

for your Hyperspin profile

select global (2 your picture) add a new set up under "Frontend Profile"

it will create a HyperSpin folder in

C:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Profiles\Xpadder\HyperSpin\Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)\(ALL YOUR PROFILES GO IN HERE p1,p2,p3,p4)

I'm not using a start up script, I simply set Xpadder to start when windows starts and auto load the Hyperspin profile.

open Xpadder click on the wrench Icon

check

Start with Windows(auto-minimized)

AutoOpen last used profile

in theory, the last profile used should always be your Hyperspin profile (before you exit Hyperspin).

I have to mention this because I'm not sure what will happen if your PC crashes and the Hyperspin profile is not the last profile used.

First of all, thanks to everyone. I was not waiting for so much answer. Honestly, this is perhaps the first time I found a message board with so many cool guy trying to help and answering 10 000 times the same question without any aggressivity.

@zero dream: In frontend profile, (global setting>General setting tab>third party) I already choose "xpadder".

On your screenshot we can see "hyperlaunch" profile on the first row. But you seems tio have selected the second row, which is the "frontend" profile (renamed into Hyperspin?). It's a crucial step, i don't want to miss it.

Just to sum up:

K680CCQ.jpg

And how I set up my controller to control hyperspin:

s1Y4XCP.jpg

It works when testing using the green thunderbolt.

Basically if you went into your Hyperlaunch/Profiles/Xpadder/System Name directory you will see a folder called _default. In that folder you will see p1.xpadderprofile and p2.xpadderprofile etc. You will also see folders named for the controllers you use. My player one is a Hori pad and my player 2 is a batarang, both 360 controllers. Those two folders contain a copy of p1.xpadder profile in the folder for controller 1 and, you guess it, a copy of p2.xpadderprofile in the folder named for controller two.

I usually create a "System Profile" in HLHQ and set things up how I want them in xpadder. Then I create a Controller Profile for each controller. Close X Padder and then copy the p1 and p2 xpadderprofiles over the newly created blank ones in the controller folders. Also, always SAVE AS when saving profiles from HLHQ.. I've found that just hitting SAVE can wreak havoc because it will save over the last profile that I created which would most likely be one for a different system :P

I have 2 controllers: wirelss xbox 360 and a wired Razer Atrox (love this stick, played 2 min only since Christmas). What happen most of the time is that I set up a Hyperspin profile to control Hyperspin (like you can see the screenshot above) then I set up xpadder to my emulator, like screenshots below. I usually SAVE AS the name of the emulator, like genesis.xpadderprofile etc... But I believed it was problematic?

If your still having trouble, you might try this, but only after exhausting the normal route.

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?28986-HyperSpin-Startup-Script

I will have a look later and follow your advice, trying to keep my set up simple.

Here the screenshots for Sega Genesis:

z7gv5U1.jpg

And yes, p1.xpadderprofile is in D:\Hyperspin\HyperLaunch\Profiles\Xpadder\Sega Genesis\_Default.

Now, the results!

Everything seems ok. I was a bit confuse with the p1 story. Now, I can control hyperspin, and control my Genesis game without any issue. Will try to do the same with others emulators.

Last thing now, how to exit emulators and come back to hyperspin?

no the default escape is simply ESC, if you like to use a combo sequence like the one you mentioned (the one I'm using) Select+Start = ESC

you do it with the Xpadder shift options

in page 1 you assign your keys to Start and Select (example mame Select = 5 Start = 1)

you enable shift to page 2 (on the start button) while pressing down

on page 2 YOU HAVE TO ADD THE SAME KEY YOU HAVE ON PAGE 1 FOR START BUTTON (example mame Start = 1)

you assign the ESC key to your Select button. (example mame Select = ESC)

My blank profiles are not completely blank, they all escape using the same sequence.

page 1

Select = Blank

Start=Blank ( shift to page 2 enabled)

page 2

Select = ESC

Start = Blank

You wrote me this on another thread. sorry but it's a bit confusing for me. What do you mean by "page 1 and 2"?

right click on a button --> Set Selector --> Set 2 --> While Held

go to page 2
Make sure you set Start = Enter  (Same key you have in page 1)
Select = ESC

you will set

Start(While Held) + Select = Escape.

the shift option with multiple pages lets you assign multiple keys to the same button
if you add this to your profile
Page 1
Select = Right Shift
Page 2
Selct = ESC

ok, I think I get it. It's not easy as i'm not an english native, sometime I need more details.

I have to do that for Hyperspin profile or emulator profile? For example, in Fusion, there's no possibility to exit via a key. Esc is only to shift between Fullscreen and sized screen.

ok, I think I get it. It's not easy as i'm not an english native, sometime I need more details.
I have to do that for Hyperspin profile or emulator profile? For example, in Fusion, there's no possibility to exit via a key. Esc is only to shift between Fullscreen and sized screen.

you have a correct statement but, its been taken care of by the Module gurus

Launch Fusion outside of Hyperspin/hyperlaunch the escape key Esc = emulator minimized
Launch Fusion with Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch the escape key ESC = exit emulator

The same thing is going to happen if you add Visual Pinball
you will have to disable the ESC key in the actual emulator settings; in order to use it with Hyperlaunch or your program will crash every time you exit a pinball game.

Outside of Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch, the only way to exit will be with the "Q".

Inside of Hyperspin/Hyperlaunch, the "Q" will exit Visual Pinball but it will not give you a proper exit. Hyperluanch will be running in the background and you will
not be able to launch other games until you force close Hyperlaunch. Even though I disabled the ESC key in the Visual Pinball emulator, I'm still using the ESC key to exit the emulator.

I actually have ALL my emulators exiting with the "ESC" key, I did not change any settings in Hyperlaunch.
I only have 41 systems, I can't tell you that every single emulator will work with the ESC key. Fusion is one of the emulators I use and the exit is set to the Esc key.

edit

the Esc key will cause problems with Dos games,  You use the Esc key to close in game menus.

1.) The HyperLaunch profile is used for the HyperLaunch menus that use the navigation keys. Features that currently support this profile are MultiGame and HyperPause.

2.) The functional purpose of HyperSpin as a mapped key is to make the wheel spin faster when held in conjuction with a direction such as up or down. Holding "up" will spin the wheel but holding it with the HyperSpin button at the same time makes it spin even faster.

3.) Maybe not recommended by all but as for controlling HyperSpin, I simply mapped the exact same keyboard controls to the player 2 controller to navigate HyperSpin as there aren't really any differences or conflicts in my opinion.

4.) You will find a wealth of knowledge about the keymappers here and HyperLaunch here.

Also, don't forget about HyperLaunch.net as it is the new home of HyperLaunch.

1.) The HyperLaunch profile is used for the HyperLaunch menus that use the navigation keys. Features that currently support this profile are MultiGame and HyperPause.

2.) The functional purpose of HyperSpin as a mapped key is to make the wheel spin faster when held in conjuction with a direction such as up or down. Holding "up" will spin the wheel but holding it with the HyperSpin button at the same time makes it spin even faster.

3.) Maybe not recommended by all but as for controlling HyperSpin, I simply mapped the exact same keyboard controls to the player 2 controller to navigate HyperSpin as there aren't really any differences or conflicts in my opinion.

4.) You will find a wealth of knowledge about the keymappers here and HyperLaunch here.

Also, don't forget about HyperLaunch.net as it is the new home of HyperLaunch.

Hyperlaunch.net???

Must have missed that announcement. Is the information there not duplicated from here?

If it is the same what is it's purpose other than having somewhere else to navigate to?

A little confused

• 11 months later...

I am glad I found this thread I was having major issues... All seems corrected. Only issue I av now is auto loading a profile so hs works to navigate it and when I go into an emulator and exit I want it to re load? Anyone know how? I have tried start program in hyperlaunch but no luck.

Wow this was a lot of stuff to go through.  Just get pinnacle game profiler, or antimicro, and set up a default hyperspin navigation profile to auto-start when hyperspin.exe is launched.  Go into the emulators and map all the controls to the controller.  Haven't had a problem ever. :)

oops, just saw it was wireless.  My controllers are all wired, so i guess that might be why you need all this stuff going on.  

I am glad I found this thread I was having major issues... All seems corrected. Only issue I av now is auto loading a profile so hs works to navigate it and when I go into an emulator and exit I want it to re load? Anyone know how? I have tried start program in hyperlaunch but no luck.

why don't you use the Hyeprspin Start up script,  I still use Xpadder for all my emulator but I use the start up script to control Hyperspin.  

And yes I'm using HS 1.4  but I noticed a better response with the start up script compared to the HS joystick support.

make sure you install the latest version,  old versions will not work with Rocketlauncher 

( I would suggest you follow this post to make sure you get a PM when the file is updated)

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/files/file/7415-hyperspin-startup-script/

I got it setup via auto start in windows and setting the frontend XPADDER file, however this script may be more efficient? Can I remap the keys?

Just easier to use, and more efficient on your time setting up. It's more inefficient on system resources than xpadder (this does not mean it will affect your system just not as light as xpadder). 

Yes you can remap keys.

• 3 weeks later...

It's probably been mentioned before but I've used ghutchs start up script in the past, then it stopped working, I think because of the change from HL to RL for me. After cursing out xpadder for the longest time because these frontend profiles are set when exiting a game and not when hyperspin starts, my issue was not being able to control HS on startup. Anyway, if you are just after trying to get xpadder to start when HS is run (without loading anything else) you could use the startup script app or do this:

1. Set HyperHQ to run xpadder on startup, under params put "p1 /m"

2. Open Xpadder, go to the main settings (wrench icon - top right), under autoprofile, create a new entry to load a profile when it detects Hperspin.exe is run, set up your profile and save it as p1 under \hyperspin\utilities\xpadder

It's not the most flexible set up since you're only loading the one program instead of the startup script which can do much more but these instructions may help other people who just want to load xpadder only. Plenty of ways to skin a cat though....

Option 3 with the startup script

Program_To_Run_Target_1=C:\Utilities\Xpadder\xpadder.exe "C:\HyperLaunch\Profiles\xpadder\HyperSpin\p1.xpadderprofile" /M

Program_To_Run_Target_1 is a document, URL, executable file (.exe, .com, .bat, etc.), shortcut (.lnk), or system verb to launch. If Target is a local file and no path was specified with it, The script's directory will be searched first. If no matching file is found there, the system will search for and launch the file if it is integrated ("known"), e.g. by being contained in one of the PATH folders. To pass parameters, add them immediately after the program or document name. If a parameter contains spaces, it is safest to enclose it in double quotes (even though it may work without them in some cases). Paths relative to the startup script are allowed.

• 2 months later...

Guys I need help, I cant fot the life of me to get xpadder to load with HS. Once i load a game once and back out to HS it works fine.

I have a very simple setup, just a handful of Street Fighter games, mame only.

So far I have tried:

1. Basic windows startup programs, pointing it to my HS p1 profile. It opens xpadder but HS doesnt seem to connect.

2. The hyperspin startup script exe. (probably too complicated for what i need? i hope)

3. Adding my xpadder profile as the hyperHQ startup app. Again it seems to load it in the background but HS doesnt respond to inputs.

4. Adding an autoprofile to xpadder that watches for HS. (i get nothing)

Any suggestions for the simplest route?

please Im at my wits end!

edit: Im so close!

Ive got an app that boots apps in order and i have it opening the p1 profile before it launches hyperspin. When i restart the pc i see the xpadder app open and the keys animate in and i see them all nice and mapped, then a moment later hyperspin boots, but with no xpadder connection. BUT if i load xpadder manually, then hyperspin manually it DOES work. What gives?

Archived