The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

A sub forum with installation guides of each systems only?

Zeaede

Something i would like to make thing easier, how about a sub forum with guides turtorials and step by step how to install each possible system om hyperspin that is allowed with video and pictures?

For me as kind of new i think it's to much information at once when im reading the forum

For example how im thinking, when you are reading the Main forum

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?2-HyperSpin-Main-Forum

There you have a couple of stickys, i would like each oneof this sticky on the new sub forum be sticky for setup guides for each system instead.

Say one Sticky is setup guid for Spectrum, the 2-4 first posts explains how to setup emulators video wheels etc

Just to make things easier

I had a look over at EMU movies and what systems their videos supported and it was over 100 so a subforum for this would be nice

I agree. Since this is the official HyperSpin forum, there should be a easy place to find step by step installation and configuration instructions on exactly how to set up each system. I know some of these guides do exist somewhere on the net, or even on this site, but to have a central place for them would be fantastic, and is very much needed.

- J*

This should have been done years ago. The Wiki, although very well done has been terribly unreliable and probably most have no clue of it's existence. Quite some time ago I asked "why is it not part of the main menus or tabs up the top of the page?", the only way to find it is in someones signature or via search, it's not even a sticky on the main forum.

Yes the new forum needs to be in a separate section, yes it needs to be locked and it would need to be mirrored at HyperLaunch.net, having bit here and bit there won't work. Most new members come here for help, having a "continue reading at HyperLaunch.net" is confusing.

One massive issue though is a lack of people with the time and skill to write guides. They not only need to know how to set up lots of systems, but also know how to convey that to not just tech geeks but also the lay person. It would need a dedicated team who are willing to dig into to each system, we already have some wonderful guides from RFancella and the work sjignacz did on the Wiki is stunning, that can be transfered over straightway in my opinion.

HyperLaunch is also compatible with a host of other front ends, who will be dealing with those guides?

I really would like to see this happen, how difficult is it to open a new section of a forum?

HyperLaunch is also compatible with a host of other front ends, who will be dealing with those guides?

Those guides need to be dealt with on the other front end's forum or on HyperLaunch.net. Only HyperSpin related guides should go here, obviously.

Also, there are many guides here already - all we need is a new forum and a post for each emulator with a link to the proper guide, or rewrite the guide in that post. Should be quite easy to create a new forum...

- J*

Setting up systems has everything to do with HyperLaunch and almost nothing to do with HyperSpin, so the HyperLaunch forums would actually make a lot more sense for this kind of stuff.

Only thing you need to do in HyperSpin is make sure HyperHQ is set to use HyperLaunch on that system, nothing else needs to be done as everything else is totally independent of HyperSpin so as far as a HyperSpin guide goes that's it. Once you get a system running through HyperLaunch it will run from whatever frontend you want it can be HyperSpin, GameEX or even batch files.

That being said I have to agree with jeremy, for 90% of the systems this will be pretty much all the same where the main thing is getting the emulator to work and the module notes show normally contain most of the relevant info for that already. You can have most systems working in 5 minutes each.

Some particular systems like Type X or some PC based machines (Amiga for instance) might require some more detailed guides, but other than that things are pretty much trivial.

If you guys want to start then by all means go ahead, but this isn't the first time something like this comes up and when the time comes to actually start working on it, it always end up being the same guys doing it as we all know (remember the wiki?).

Setting up systems has everything to do with HyperLaunch and almost nothing to do with HyperSpin, so the HyperLaunch forums would actually make a lot more sense for this kind of stuff.

Only thing you need to do in HyperSpin is make sure HyperHQ is set to use HyperLaunch on that system, nothing else needs to be done as everything else is totally independent of HyperSpin so as far as a HyperSpin guide goes that's it. Once you get a system running through HyperLaunch it will run from whatever frontend you want it can be HyperSpin, GameEX or even batch files.

That being said I have to agree with jeremy, for 90% of the systems this will be pretty much all the same where the main thing is getting the emulator to work and the module notes show normally contain most of the relevant info for that already. You can have most systems working in 5 minutes each.

Some particular systems like Type X or some PC based machines (Amiga for instance) might require some more detailed guides, but other than that things are pretty much trivial.

If you guys want to start then by all means go ahead, but this isn't the first time something like this comes up and when the time comes to actually start working on it, it always end up being the same guys doing it as we all know (remember the wiki?).

Problem is, Brolly, this is the HyperSpin forum, not HyperLaunch. People come HERE for HyperSpin help, not HyperLaunch.net. The wiki is very nice when it works and has a link somewhere pointing to it. But that said, it would be so nice to come to the HyperSpin support forum and find the setup assistance you need without having to go to a bunch of other places to find what you need. Let's make it easier for people, not harder. HyperSpin has a great enough learning curve for newbies. No need to make it harder.

- J*

Those guides need to be dealt with on the other front end's forum or on HyperLaunch.net. Only HyperSpin related guides should go here, obviously.

Also, there are many guides here already - all we need is a new forum and a post for each emulator with a link to the proper guide, or rewrite the guide in that post. Should be quite easy to create a new forum...

- J*

You would obviously include the Hyperlaunch setup then, not just HyperHQ? ;)

The Hyperlaunch guys have said they prefer people to post Hyperlaunch related questions over at their site not here. So guides would need to be at both sites, and if someone asks a question here relating to Hyperlaunch, all we need do is tell them to read the setup section of the forum or post them a link to Hyperlaunch.net.

I would hope it's easy to set up a section in the forum, I wouldn't want to see it just filled with links though, each sub section should have the full guide. With the authors permission I would help to move those that are already available.

You are quite right, really it ends up being an emulator setup guide.

No it doesn't. You don't have to tell people how to configure the emulator, just the front end! Why make this more difficult than it needs to be? This site has no organization at all. There are posts for all different topics in most forums and it's very difficult to find what you need. You need to make things easier!

- J*

No it doesn't. You don't have to tell people how to configure the emulator, just the front end! Why make this more difficult than it needs to be? This site has no organization at all. There are posts for all different topics in most forums and it's very difficult to find what you need. You need to make things easier!

- J*

How can you not include the emulator, it's the main part and normally the must confusing. If you look at Rons Amiga guide, it mostly emulator setup.

If it's completely necessary then include it, otherwise don't. A prerequisite for running HyperSpin is to have the emulator working before you start anyway. Shouldn't be HyperSpin's responsibility to make sure your emu runs the way you want it.

- J*

HyperLaunch.net? Wiki? What are these places? Like everyone is saying, there should be a sticky with links to guides. I've mentioned this before as well. No one goes to these other places because no one knows about them.

Yeah just like the ftp must read first sticky everyone reads. Ha ha. ;)

I think a step-by-step set up section would be an excellent idea,

As Giga and Jeremy know, i am a prime example of why we need it - they both were very helpful over the weekend fixing my stupid mistakes.

I was guilty of trawling the web, reading guides, set up, tips on various pages and grabbing downloads that i thought would make life easy for a lay person.... oh boy was i wrong.

The problem is, there are a lot of out of date set up guides, links and downloads out there and us less tech savvy people absorb all this information blindly (well i did anyway)

If there was an admin controlled section here with only current guides to each emulator i think people like myself would get things done on their own and therefore stop bothering you smart guys with hundreds of posts about screwed up installs and set ups.

For the record i took Jeremy and Gigas advice and did a complete fresh install and so far, nothing has screwed up .............so far....

So please get this section up and running before i blow my brains out trying to install PC Loader and Taito Type X !

thanks

Jumpstile, from your last post I'm not really sure about the type of guides you want exactly. I mean like giga said configuring the emulator is pretty much the most important thing here, the remaining part is setting up the emulator on HyperLaunch.

When you mention the guide should mostly tell people how to configure the frontend what do you mean? Because setting up HyperSpin for ANY system is just the same, open HyperHQ, select the system and enable HyperLaunch and you're set nothing else needed so you don't really need a guide for this. You have the artwork part, but that's the same for all systems as well. Guides should contain Emulator configuration + HyperLaunch setup and that's basically it. If you assume emulator is already configured then it will be HyperLaunch settings only.

Am I missing your point here? What exactly did you want to include on the guides?

Anything needed to run the emulator in HS!!

Look, MAME needs a little setup to run properly in HS, but not much. If MAME is working the way you want and plays games ok then that's fine. You now have to set up HyperSpin. Give us step by step instructions.

Taito Type X needs some specific configuration to work in HS. Give those instructions as well as the HS configuration info.

Again, you're making this tougher than it needs to be.

- J*

Brolly for someone like yourself who has clearly been involved in thsi scene for a while and knows what they are doing, it may all seem simple and basic to you but some people (me included) need a little more hand holding to get things worked out at the start.

for example, what if there are a couple of module's available for a system, which is best? what if we want to add a different system/game such as SSFIV or Taito Type X emu that needs PC loader.

I only found Hyperspin by accident on a google search last month, it has blown my mind, i love it but i am by no means a tech guru, so please think of the little people n help us out if you have the time

Anything needed to run the emulator in HS!!

Look, MAME needs a little setup to run properly in HS, but not much. If MAME is working the way you want and plays games ok then that's fine. You now have to set up HyperSpin. Give us step by step instructions.

Taito Type X needs some specific configuration to work in HS. Give those instructions as well as the HS configuration info.

Again, you're making this tougher than it needs to be.

- J*

:top:

That's exactly my point. None of those are related to HS, there's no HS configuration info for Type X, it's all HyperLaunch stuff.

And yes some emulators need some setup, that's exactly what giga was saying and you told him you only wanted HS related stuff that's why I wasn't understanding what you wanted to see on the guides because that's the most important part.

So again what you want are HyperLaunch guides not HyperSpin guides, unless you don't use HyperLaunch at all in that case yeah there would be some extra settings needed on HyperHQ.

Call it what you want. What I want are guides to get emulators running in HyperSpin, from beginning to end. Tell the people what they need to acquire to get it working and give them the steps to get them working under HyperSpin. If it turns out to be more HyperLaunch stuff than HyperSpin stuff, so what? At least the people will have a convenient place to find what they need on the site they logically expect to find those answers on.

- J*

A HyperSpin guide should probably be a link to the official database file, how to make the wheel in HyperHQ, where to get the artwork, and finally a link the HyperLaunch wiki on how to setup the system's emulators with HyperLaunch.

I'll put links in my how to install guide post, I just won't look for guides nor will I try to write all of them. I'll write my guides for the systems that I want to setup when I set them up.

Archived