Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Watchmen Pinball - 40/27/DMD - Standard Body

mikekim

Update

started cutting the wood today.

got the base wood cut completed, (no pics though - after all cut wood is pretty much the same as other peoples shots).

i will post some shots when starting assembly.

I did however start work this afternoon on wring up the electronics test bed, as i want to make sure that all the toys work before wiring them into the cab.

diodes for contactors:

20120908162233.jpg

test station prior to connecting LedWiz to Zebs booster boards:

20120908200109.jpg

strange how soldering and wiring is quite therapeutic in its own way.

all thats left to do before testing, is to connect the LEDWiz inputs to their corresponding connection on the booster boards and connect the power sources to the boards.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Great build Mike. Love the Watchman theme, hope it's not too late but got to ask - wouldn't the image of Sally Jupiter as Silk Spectre look great on the sides of the back box, like the one painted on the side of the plane in the book/movie? Just my two cents...

That might be worth a look, I'll see if there is any high res artwork available

had a bit of a play with photoshop and came up with this:

screenshot20120921at095.png

figured that it would need to look distressed, as the movie is set in the mid 80's and the original silk spectre was 40 years prior.

the shape of the images are the same as the sides of the backbox design i'm toying with (looking for something different rather than the standard square box)

additional update

flasher caps have arrived - will probably use the octagonal ones, just prefer them to the round ones:

20120921194242.jpg

got the speaker / DMD panel cut today:

20120921194336.jpg

test fit with speaker:

20120921194430.jpg

Cambridge Audio Minx speaker:

20120921194500.jpg

hopefully I should be able to start on construction of the cab body this weekend (fingers crossed), so i should be able to post some pics over the next couple of days.

alternatively i was thinking about this design:

screenshot20120921at161.png

perhaps i should get 2 of the marquee monitors (one for each side and randomize the artwork :P )

Do this, 100%. Love the Miss Jupiter look too, but you need side art to match that. This one compliments your side art perfectly and was a focal point of the movie to boot.

Update:

managed to get a couple of hours spare to finally start finally started putting the cab together.

(been really busy with work and family stuff)

20120930170050.jpg

test fit of body - put together with cabinet connection blocks.

front panel 45 degree mitred for better fit - rear panel straight joint

20120930170058.jpg

coin door will be rebated flush into wood rather than stuck on externally as in most other designs

20120930170114.jpg

rear door with a couple of hinges attached (will be recessed later to make top of door flush with top of cab)

20120930174306.jpg

legs installed - holes drilled from inside out with 6mm pilot hole, then 10 mm main hole.

wooden block compressed on the outside of the cab to stop excessive splitting of wood on drill exit

20120930175552.jpg

Lockdown bar and receiver test fit

the hole in the middle of the cab is for the PC motherboard tray

Wow Mike, this is a super pin in the making. Finding the force feedback stuff very interesting, you make it look so easy. May I ask what transparent film you are using for your button labels or where to find some?

the film i used came from an ebay supplier. ive attached the link so you can look for something similar http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140369027818?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

hope this helps

Update

not a lot of time to spend on the cab this week - damn real life issues!!!

drilled the holes in the front panels, first using a 44mm Forstner Bit for about 5mm deep, then finishing the hole with a 25mm bit (I'm using 44mm starpoint buttons opposed to the normal ones supplied with the V.P. kits)

20121007163914.jpg

not paying attention to button positioning - i stupidly forgot about the lockdown bar, so had to remove a section of it with a dremel and cutting bit (5mm larger than the area shown in purple on the bar) to get the button and locking nut to fit properly.

20121007163935.jpg

test fit of spare launch button and how to play button countersunk into the extra ball hole

20121007164033.jpg

i have decided against using the how to play button, so its relegated to a test fit button.

I also countersunk the flipper buttons using 28mm & 16mm forstner bits, but my battery died on my cell, so the shots on those will appear at a later date.

the transparent flipper buttons I'm using are shorter than the virtua pin kit ones, so i had to modify (cut down) the leaf spring mounting, so it would still work. pics to follow later. (you can just see the modification on the lockdown bar shot)

Archived