Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperspin HD size guide!

Ledwallet

hi guys!!

Just wondering what size of HD's you guys are using to contain your setups? im not a completionist by any manner of means, I don't want to just have every rom & every system just for the sake of it.

I'm an '80s kid so my first foray was the C64 then an Amiga 600 so for me they're absolutely necessary, then things like the Megadrive and Snes as well old cartridge based systems whch aren't overly mem heavy. I guess the biggest problem is obviously the CD based sytems. I would like to have Dreamcast, Saturn, Ps1, Ps2, Xbox & Gamecube as well as the regular MAME, TypeX, Naomi, CPS etc

I guess what im really asking is what are the minimum space requirements for the cream games of each system? if anyone could find their way to a rough answer i'd be much obliged!! I guess I should add I have a 3TB WD drive set aside for my project which will also house my XBMC setup running through HS. is that large enough?

I cant be the only person who is of a mind to just have the must have games for each system can I?

If this is in the wrong place I apologise profusely, I planted it here incase anyone could give suggestions for specific sites and sets that would help me out. currently signed up to Bitgamer & PD although i am having trouble actually building up a ratio on PD that would allow me to actually DL anything decent!

Thanks in advance guys!

Here is a breakdown of mine most near 100%:

Saturn Redump (USA/Jap/Euro) = 461GB

PSX Redump (USA) = 538GB

PSX Redump (Japan) = 720GB

PSX Redump (Euro) = 700+GB ( I dont collect)

PS2 Redump (USA) = 2.5TB

PS2 Non redump (Japan) = 3-4TB

Gamecube Redump (USA) = 660GB

Gamecube Redump (Japan) = 180GB

Gamecube Redump (Euro) = 700+GB ( I dont collect)

Sega Dreamcast Trurip (ALL) = 638GB

Sega Mega CD Trurip (ALL) = 165GB

Sega Saturn Trurip (ALL) = 446GB

XBOX ~ 1.5/2TB worth out there (I dont collect)

Wii non scrubbed = 3+TB easy ( I dont collect but certain games/series)

PSP (ALL) = ~2TB+

Panasonic 3do Trurip (ALL) = 189GB

MAME/CHDs/FBA/Demul/Nebula/Winkawa/Type-X/No Intro/Maybe Intro/Hyperspin ready sets = 1.7TB

I have a 36TB NAS to store all of my roms and other media files. I have backups on external drives.

Less than two terabytes (including media). I get picky on the later systems with bigger games (also mame CHDS) but full lists on everything else. over 100 systems and 40k games. I think I'm at about a terabyte and a half. I can't lie though I'm looking closely at filling it up with exodos.

134 Systems about 3,5tb use a custum psp set about 500 Games, custom Gamecube 207 Games, Full Psx NTSC set, Ps2 only 3 Games (Gran Turismo 3,4 & Prologe) Custom Wii set about 50 Games, NDS only the NTSC Games and all other 8-32bit System not worth talking about! Not updated Sega DC and saturn set! Hyperspin with Artwork on C: Drive 129GB. Today working on exodos it will fill the 4tb extern drive and makes my setup finished ;) Thats enough to play i think :) How long does it take to start every Game to see the title screen? 70 Years? :)

Edit: 2 Backups of setup exist! I am not a prepper ;) But if my House burning or floating i find a Backup Solution by my brothers home! And one is here. ;)

Hi Nexus, thanks for the info buddy! more in keeping with what I was kinda looking for! Im not looking for that many systems, probably about 40-50 but not after every ROM possible. i'll probably end up chopping out what I don't want, then just create a new XML using hypertools! So I think i'll be able to squeeze everything I want onto my 3TB drive.

Thanks to everyone for their comments, they're all much appreciated!

Hello,

You can fit all systems released before PS2/PSP/WII/DS with a 3TB HDD is you compress with 7zp (ultra compression) all CD based systems (DC/Saturn/PSX/3DO/GC/PCE etc...). They compress well, very well.

I have such setup with uncompressed rom (for RetroArch) and compressed CD systems (I store PAL + US/JP exclusive games).

Uncompressed, I would have to buy an extra 4TB to store them. For example I have just downloaded 560 PSP PAL games, uncompressed (.iso) it's like 480GB, compressed with LZMA2 it's only 250GB.

You can also compress roms to ZIP if you are planning to use MESS (you wont have to wait for uncompressing since MESS support ZIP files) to save space.

I hope it helps you.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...

you should be just fine with the drive you have if you just want specific games. in fact your drive may be overkill for what your lookinng for. keep in mind, the artwork to make hyperspin shine can be larger than the games. you may find out that its easier to get what you want by just grabing entire systems vs individual games so keep that in mind. you will find your quest adicting and I think we where all of your mindset at one point. i would say. I have 4 tb and over 60 systems more or less completed with just a little bit left over.

I am building my HS with 2tb drive and trying to put all the old systems upto psp , later will get bigger drive towards psx , ps2, etc. How do you manage to get so many roms . I am a member of PD and BG but ratio I have never gonna allow me to download anything except those free .

You can build up a decent ratio as long as you are patient and take advantage of certain opportunities.

At PD you get a custom free ticket once a year on your join date, and loads of stuff is set free every Christmas. Also try joining the Folding@Home team to earn upload credit.

At BG, some things are free and have 2x upload bonus (so-called golden torrents).

• 4 weeks later...

Here is a breakdown of mine most near 100%:

Saturn Redump (USA/Jap/Euro) = 461GB

PSX Redump (USA) = 538GB

PSX Redump (Japan) = 720GB

PSX Redump (Euro) = 700+GB ( I dont collect)

PS2 Redump (USA) = 2.5TB

PS2 Non redump (Japan) = 3-4TB

Gamecube Redump (USA) = 660GB

Gamecube Redump (Japan) = 180GB

Gamecube Redump (Euro) = 700+GB ( I dont collect)

Sega Dreamcast Trurip (ALL) = 638GB

Sega Mega CD Trurip (ALL) = 165GB

Sega Saturn Trurip (ALL) = 446GB

XBOX ~ 1.5/2TB worth out there (I dont collect)

Wii non scrubbed = 3+TB easy ( I dont collect but certain games/series)

PSP (ALL) = ~2TB+

Panasonic 3do Trurip (ALL) = 189GB

MAME/CHDs/FBA/Demul/Nebula/Winkawa/Type-X/No Intro/Maybe Intro/Hyperspin ready sets = 1.7TB

I have a 36TB NAS to store all of my roms and other media files. I have backups on external drives.

DR9, I am truly impressed now. I am working on my setup for 7 months. I have about 3.5TR and 139 different systems (custom). My target was to have fullsets of old systems and good roms for disk systems but with database with only what is good. I was expecting that 8TR would be a good size but 32TR, this was unthinkable. Now I have to rethink everything again and start "negotiating" with my wife to buy such storage some time. :)

Archived