Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

REAL DMD pinDMD users (are you running a real DMD?)

russdx

Would you guys running a real DMD with a pinDMD1/2 be able to leave a testimonial in this thread with your experiences using pinDMD.

How did you find installing it?

Are you happy with the product?

How does it compare to the LCD.

Would you recommend it to other pincab builders?

Has it improved your cabinet?

Plus any other comments you may have. :)

Please be honest :)

Going to add them to pinDMD.com :)

Regards

Russell Pirie

Installation of the pinDMD and real DMD is faaaaaaaaaaaaaarr easier IMO than trying to size and position a dmd on an LCD screen.

The brightness is incomparable to how poor an LCD looks.

Anyone building a cabinet, dont think twice. If you can afford it, get a real DMD>

Installation of the pinDMD and real DMD is faaaaaaaaaaaaaarr easier IMO than trying to size and position a dmd on an LCD screen.

The brightness is incomparable to how poor an LCD looks.

Anyone building a cabinet, dont think twice. If you can afford it, get a real DMD>

Agree 100%

I also agree 100%.

To use the pinDMD Board isn´t cheaper but much easier than a 3 monitor setup.

I use the V1 and the V2 of the board with a pinled and a cherry DMD without any problems.

In the next few weeks i want to open a onlineshop in germany like virtuapin. So i decided to take the V2 board

into my shop.

In the testing phase of building my cabinet, I had the DMD displayed on the same monitor as my backglass and it worked pretty good. But when my real DMD and PinMD1 board arrived, I was floored with how much better it was. As others have said, it's MUCH easier to use than using a dmd on a monitor. No moving, resizing or rotating of the DMD display when first setting up a table makes it much easier. When using the monitor some DMD displays on some tables just did not look right no matter how much I fiddled with resizing it. With the real DMD and PinDMD1 everything just works and works well! It also fits inside your cabinet a lot better than trying to shoehorn another display in there. Another advantage is you only need a single video card to drive your displays instead of two. The small amount of money you might save by using a monitor instead of a real DMD isn't really worth it in my opinion.

Materials and associated costs needed for Real DMD

PinDMD

DMD plus power supply

Materials and associated costs needed for using a monitor

Monitor

Extra Video Card to run the third monitor.

Modifications to cabinet (This may or may not cost you more depending on if you are building your own cabinet or if you are buying one that will need to be modified.)

Your time (Remember your time is valuable, it may not seem bad to move and resize a dmd when installing a single table, but if you plan on installing several hundred of them on your cabinet, it adds up.)

Would you guys running a real DMD with a pinDMD1/2 be able to leave a testimonial in this thread with your experiences using pinDMD.

How did you find installing it?

Are you happy with the product?

How does it compare to the LCD.

Would you recommend it to other pincab builders?

Has it improved your cabinet?

Plus any other comments you may have. :)

Please be honest :)

Regards

Russell Pirie

I'm using a Amber X-Pin DMD with the pinDMD2.

Installing was straight forward using your guide with no issues what so ever. After installation and no fault to the pinDMD my drivers were corrupted due to the WiniPac software installation. It would be nice to use both but having both installed causes me huge issues making the re-installation of the pinDMD drivers a must.

I'm yet to flash any firmware as I usually don't do that without a real big reason to do so.

I am VERY VERY happy with the product as without it I wouldn't have a DMD. The DMD to me is almost as good as playing a table itself.

In respect to LCD vs real DMD. The only way I know how to explain it the real DMD is alive and LCD is dead. The video on your webpage shows that I think but nothing is like real life.

I always recommend a real DMD to new cab builders but it's the builders trying to save money who take the most convincing. I wish there was a better way to explain or show the benefits vs the LCD. I usually just tell them that a budget cab was my priority when building and I'm using a real DMD, that must say something.

I wouldn't run a cab without real DMD, yes it's that good.

My only concern about the PinDMD board is what to do later on if there's a failure. It's a specialized product and I get worried if there's a failure will another one be available.

re: pindmd.com

- I would like to see a firmware change log on your webpage so without following the threads one has an idea to what the changes were and if they are important enough to them to risk flashing.

- I think there should be some explanations or special info about the different DMD's that are compatible. ie, not having the DMD un-powered with the pinDMD powered etc.

It is definately a timesaver. I have had 0 problems with drivers or USB ports, everything just worked oob. I am using a real cabinet with a real speakerpanel, so installing the DMD + pindmd2 was like 5 minutes, and bam: working DMD display.

However: it all comes down to time and money, if you have the time, but funds are limited, keep in mind that a DMD+pindmd2 are going to cost at least 300 euro, while a third monitor solution is often free (as you can get a used 15 inch monitor for free or like 5 bucks second hand). The "extra video card" argument is a bit outdated, both Nvidia and AMD support 3 monitors on one card (on windows 7), and/or you can use onboard graphics& a dedicated card.

Also if you are into EM's, originals, hybrid bowling games and other tables, then the pindmd is not going to do much for you, as it will not work with those.

If you have the cash, and love the 1990's tables, then you will definately want the pindmd though.

I've installed a dozen or so of the PinDMD2 boards and they have been nothing short of amazing. This is one of those great little products that have helped to change the VP world for the better and make playing pinball way more fun.

From a customer service standpoint Russ has been top notch. He answers emails at all hours of the day and night and promptly helps take care of any issues that may come up.

Thanks Russ for all your hard work and dedication.

What do you real DMD users do about pins that have the larger or 'non-standard' dmd sizes? Do they work?

What about non-DMD games if there is no directb2s available. How do you see the score?

I'm constantly torn about adding one to my cab.

Bill

there are only like 5 games that use the 192x64 size DMD, it is scaled to fit into the 128x32 but looks crap

*most* of the alphanumeric games are also supported the scores are displayed on the DMD using virtual alphanumeric fonts.

ahhhh its horrible lol, when your working with images that have been painstakingly drawn at 128x32(pixel art) to look good, you can not scale them unless you do it by a factor of 2. Because it will look utta crap hehe.

Those 16x16segment DMD's are pretty dam sweet. I think pinLED have a good product now. Any dead pixels?

The Pinled display looks good, and is still going strong (no dead pixels). Still think the power issue they share with the Xpin display is annoying though. I had to buy a usb pci card, just to get a usb port that powered off. My motherboard only supports shutting down power to usb when paired with a verry recent power supply (meaning ERP compatible), which i dont have.

Most new motherboards seem to prefer usb to be powered on all the time, even when the machine is off. The option to change this, is often very well hidden, and is named differently from manufacturer, to manufacturer. And then there are cases in which it is not even possible to turn this off......

Yeah

its not really a fault as these DMDs have been designed to be a replacement for real pinball machines where all the hardware is switched on/off together. They where not designed to be driven by a usb board from a pc that *may* not power down completely hehe.

• 8 months later...

when you say real dmd.. do you mean one of the original plasma models from an original pinball machine or one of the DMD units from Vishay / X-pin that are designed to run from 5 - 12v?

if you have the former then you will need a transformer to supply the weird voltage requirements that they need. the latter on the other hand just needs an appropriate voltage line from your pc power supply.

when you say real dmd.. do you mean one of the original plasma models from an original pinball machine or one of the DMD units from Vishay / X-pin that are designed to run from 5 - 12v?

if you have the former then you will need a transformer to supply the weird voltage requirements that they need. the latter on the other hand just needs an appropriate voltage line from your pc power supply.

Original from a Real Pinball Machine. Thanks for the info, I will hunt for a transformer information because I have one laying around and will see if I can use it. Do you know where i can find about what type of transformer i need? Are they universal?

Thanks for the help mate!

I think this answer my question: http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=23249

Damn ... It will be more expensive than I anticipated. Better sell it and buy those Visahy...

If you already have the plasma DMD. all you need is a transformer + power supply board. The actual DMD is the most expensive part and you already have it.

A real pinball Plasma DMD looks a MILLION times better then a crappy lcd.

Hi Russ! Yes I know, but where I can purchase the transformer step down 120vac to 100v/80v? The other two things I need aren't available at this moment on Zebs website :(

The DMD High Voltage Driver from Zebs and the pinDMD from you ... purchased trough Zebs website ... :laugh:

So to resume I need: $50 +/- for the transformer + $55 for the DMD HVD + $80 for the pinDMD + S/H .... right? :)

edit: Saw that virtuapin have the transformer, $40. and the pinDMd but it is also unavailable :( .. and I want to order everything at once so the s/h be cheaper.

edit2: ohhhh boy, Page 17 to 19 is chaos there. I appreciate all the effort, money, time, and work done by everyone, not just a few, everyone is accredited equally because this isn't a job is a hobby, every post, thread, picture and idea is shared freely. So, In my opinion, hugs and kisses to everyone :) lol

Archived