Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Is anyone still working on Hyperspin 2.0

achaley

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't looked at the hyperspin 2.0 post in a while but I imagine that there isn't much there that hyperlaunch can't accomplish. As far as I'm concerned hyperspin shows art and lets me move through wheels, hyperlaunch takes care of the rest. But I will say this is a little depressing to hear, but my thoughts go more to the community dissolving rather than a new version of hyperspin.

I haven't looked at the hyperspin 2.0 post in a while but I imagine that there isn't much there that hyperlaunch can't accomplish. As far as I'm concerned hyperspin shows art and lets me move through wheels, hyperlaunch takes care of the rest. But I will say this is a little depressing to hear, but my thoughts go more to the community dissolving rather than a new version of hyperspin.

That's the thing, without updates/progress being made, people will lose interest (ex: original Xbox's emulator forum). Luckily, we have Hyperlaunch and themes being actively worked on which keeps the community for now.

From what I understand BBB disappeared along with the code so I would say no one is working on it. However, not too long ago someone in one of the forums here offered his programing services to help with the development of hyperspin and he got some responses so I don't know what's going on. There might be some work being done but if that is the case, no one is saying anything. I'm waiting for the new GameEx Evolution to see if it offers something similar to hyperspin with widescreen support. If it does, I'll be moving on.

Wait, so BBB has nothing to do with Hyperspin anymore? When did this happen, and where is everyones donations going? Surely someone on here is a close enough friend with him to know what's going on. Maybe this was already touched on in another thread, but maybe someone should mention that Hyperspin is no longer being developed so there's no confusion to new people.

I honestly don't think anyone knows what's going on...

- J*

True enough, but it's safe to assume that BBB has stopped development. The original announcement for "Hyperspin 2.0" was nearly 4 years ago. Realistically, we should have, at the very least, Hyperspin 4.0 by now.

According to Arzoo (ledblinky's author) iirc he tried to get ahold of BBB to correct some issues that arose a few months back, but got no answer back but then stated in the thread "BBB is no longer supporting Hyperspin."

What does that tell you?

But, all is not lost. Hyperlaunch has surpassed the front end anyway imo, from the fade intro's to Hyperpause, and people are starting to work around the things missing in HS right now that were promised in 2.0.

A search function was supposed to be added in for 2.0, well Pietie gave us that and it's awesome.

Widescreen support was supposed to be added in 2.0, well thanks to Gibbawho he has found a way to get themes to display correctly at 1080p.

And now team HL from what I read the other day are working on some sort of Hyperinfo program that will display text/menus on top of Hyperspin.

If it wasn't for them and everyone else, I would honestly call this front end dead unfortunately.

I often dream about the day the HL team just spits out their own front end because they're half a step away. Im glad BBB created Hyperspin, it would be nice to see someone make a successor to it.

Before I used HS I used Game EX. which at the start comparing the initial version of each program; was really ugly to look at but also really easy to use. Whereas HS was really nice to look at and very difficult to use.

As for the donations I suspect they pay for the webspace domain name and ftp server (but I'm not involved in the running of the website so I don't really know)

I will say that Although I have nothing against the guy, I hope BBB isn't seeing any of it. Unless he's on the back end hidden away somewhere and is actually doing something.

I also hope he's still alive at the very least.

Donating gets you enough stuff that it shouldn't matter where the money goes. You can still have Hyperspin for free, which tells me the guy who made it has given it away a thousand times over, so I can't say a bad word about him or what he's choosing to do with his time now. Also, I don't know anything about any of the people that are making this all happen, but I do know I've already had to put Hyperspin down for months at a time for personal reasons; in a word, shit happens, to everyone, so be careful not to jump to conclusions. I think a lot of this is just failing to see the forest for the trees. This community is great. Hyperlaunch is freaking amazing; I see people working on it and updating it all the time. And Hyperspin still looks fantastic and even more people are making art to make it look better. To insinuate that the project is dead or dying insults me on their behalf. Even if production stopped completely this second, its already well worth the donations and well worth the time, but that isn't even the case. Sooooooooo.... yeah, buck up kiddies. When I feel like playing some awesome old games (alone or with friends) we still going to be getting face punched with the dazzle whether BBB is working or not, and I suspect that is true for most of you too.

I'd have no problem with the situation if we could just get the bugs fixed! Not being able to leave my cab on for a few hours without getting the white screen with the exclamation mark is a deal breaker for me and is completely unacceptable. I don't care if HyperSpin never has any more features added - Just fix the bugs.

Also, there's no central place to find all these add-ons. They're all scattered about in posts in the forum and downloads in the FTP. Someone needs to keep the downloads section updated with all the goodies so things don't feel so fragmented. HyperSpin's biggest flaw is that it's a big pain in the ass.

- J*

Donating gets you enough stuff that it shouldn't matter where the money goes. You can still have Hyperspin for free, which tells me the guy who made it has given it away a thousand times over, so I can't say a bad word about him or what he's choosing to do with his time now. Also, I don't know anything about any of the people that are making this all happen, but I do know I've already had to put Hyperspin down for months at a time for personal reasons; in a word, shit happens, to everyone, so be careful not to jump to conclusions. I think a lot of this is just failing to see the forest for the trees. This community is great. Hyperlaunch is freaking amazing; I see people working on it and updating it all the time. And Hyperspin still looks fantastic and even more people are making art to make it look better. To insinuate that the project is dead or dying insults me on their behalf. Even if production stopped completely this second, its already well worth the donations and well worth the time, but that isn't even the case. Sooooooooo.... yeah, buck up kiddies. When I feel like playing some awesome old games (alone or with friends) we still going to be getting face punched with the dazzle whether BBB is working or not, and I suspect that is true for most of you too.

Point well taken, but if he chose to stop/delay development for personal reasons, that's fine. It would only takes 10 minutes max to inform us of his decision to do so. That would be respectable, but instead, he took the "deadbeat dad" approach; going on 4 year now, without giving closure.

I'd have no problem with the situation if we could just get the bugs fixed! Not being able to leave my cab on for a few hours without getting the white screen with the exclamation mark is a deal breaker for me and is completely unacceptable. I don't care if HyperSpin never has any more features added - Just fix the bugs.

I am all for fixing bugs, but about your specific problem, you could at least use as workaround a script that would restart HyperSpin whenever it exited. It shouldn't be difficult to make one.

Also, the same script could save info about what game it was on when the HyperSpin crashed, so maybe you could find if that crash is caused by some specific video or theme that could be incompatible with something on flash, therefore helping on fixing this.

Also, there's no central place to find all these add-ons. They're all scattered about in posts in the forum and downloads in the FTP. Someone needs to keep the downloads section updated with all the goodies so things don't feel so fragmented. HyperSpin's biggest flaw is that it's a big pain in the ass.

That is one of the things that you don't need anyone else to do for you, if you are willing to help the community.

Just create by yourself a post or a forum blog listing the add-ons and info about them. I am sure that the post or the blog could be sticked if the info is well organized.

That would be helpful to everybody and you would give something back to the community.

Honestly, Bleasby, I've given back plenty to the community. I don't have the time to go searching the forums and creating new posts about what's new. Some of the money going to BBB should be funneled into getting someone to do that (site admin).

Regarding HyperSpin itself, it doesn't "exit", it just hangs, so no script would be able to detect the white screen with the exclamation point.

- J*

Honestly, Bleasby, I've given back plenty to the community. I don't have the time to go searching the forums and creating new posts about what's new. Some of the money going to BBB should be funneled into getting someone to do that (site admin).

The intention was not to imply that you should do that. But the idea was to emphasize that anyone can do it.

I don't enter in the money merit, HyperSpin is free, as also HyperLaunch, so if something could be done by the community I don't think we should demand it as an obligation from anyone involved on HyperSpin. That is at least the way I feel.

Regarding HyperSpin itself, it doesn't "exit", it just hangs, so no script would be able to detect the white screen with the exclamation point.

It is possible to use the ledblink info to know that if HyperSpin is stuck in one game too long, the hang happened. That way you know that HyperSpin hanged on the exclamation point.

It is also possible to make a script to move the wheel game one game down if a minimum inactive time was passed, and if HyperSpin does not change the current game, that means that HyperSpin is hanged also.

There are other possible ways to check for that also, as identifying the exclamation point image on the screen, and so on.

So, yes. It is possible through a script to know when HyperSpin hanged, determine the game that made it happen and restart HyperSpin if necessary. It just need some small work doing the code.

From what I understand BBB disappeared along with the code

If it were me, I would have run away with an 18 year old blonde (sorry brunette, either really) and a bag of money.

Bill, wherever you are, I wish you well and thank you for what you created. Without it I wouldn't be here.

:cheers:

It is also possible to make a script to move the wheel game one game down if a minimum inactive time was passed, and if HyperSpin does not change the current game, that means that HyperSpin is hanged also.

There are other possible ways to check for that also, as identifying the exclamation point image on the screen, and so on.

So, yes. It is possible through a script to know when HyperSpin hanged, determine the game that made it happen and restart HyperSpin if necessary. It just need some small work doing the code.

Some good ideas there bleasby, I know very little about scripting, but a script that does a key press to move the wheel after a certain amount of time, sounds logical Captain?

Archived