Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Android User Head Count

thatman84

Ok...have u tried pico with pico core?...controls don't work for me.........I gotta check cause the only thing I'm missing is Sega Saturn japan...I'm going to upload my xml ...there are 1 or 2 systems that don't work on android but haven't removed yet from xml...but most actaully do work and others aren't there cause I need to further test the emulator like sharp x1, sharp 68000x, and Apple 2.....popcap is there but only 1 or 2 games which are actaully apks....1 I need to remove because when u exit, it skips hyperspin and exits back 2 the shield main menu...u will notice that with a few apks...

Same issue with Pico, they load but no controls. The one I would love to configure controls in is intellivision, I think it can be done but I haven't really spent the time, if anyone knows of a tutorial it would be great 

Well looks like the working systems list thread has some new information!

i still plan on turning that thread into an all in one info thread one day with the help of google sheets.

love google sheets.

i will get there one day

11 hours ago, sanchezmike01 said:

Ok...have u tried pico with pico core?...controls don't work for me.........I gotta check cause the only thing I'm missing is Sega Saturn japan...I'm going to upload my xml ...there are 1 or 2 systems that don't work on android but haven't removed yet from xml...but most actaully do work and others aren't there cause I need to further test the emulator like sharp x1, sharp 68000x, and Apple 2.....popcap is there but only 1 or 2 games which are actaully apks....1 I need to remove because when u exit, it skips hyperspin and exits back 2 the shield main menu...u will notice that with a few apks...

My old pico Roms played. Also used a mouse. Then I downloaded retromaniacs and they don't work. I no longer have my old Roms. What's wrong with your Sega Japan?

I was mistaken...both sega mega cd and saturn japan I have and both work....I could be wrong but I doubt it's a rom issue...because they load and play on the pc...I'm wondering if somehow an update broke the controls....the only way I can find out is by getting an old pico core to test.   .I'd have to grab a super old apk that had cores preinstalled and extract the old core and test it

• 3 months later...

Why hasn't Attract Mode been ported to Android? Not everyone has an Nvidia Shield and had the time to spend countless hours on setting up Hyperspin...Android (at least non-Nvidia devices) doesn't get a whole lot of love.

Arc Browser is promising (there doesn't appear to be video previews for it yet), and Romflix looks ok (I can't get it to work with my Shield Portable- it sees the controller, but I can't configure it)...

I look at hyperspin on Android as the red headed step child. It is still part of the hyperspin family, but doesn't get the love it deserves.

This was a side project by rez, nothing official. If anyone with the dev skills for Android would like to help I'm sure rez would not oppose. Unfortunately, I don't have much I can offer on that front. I would love to see Android get a fully supported port. We can only hope for it in HS 2.0

For now, I can put finishing my cabinet on the back burner since I can play it all on shield tv and am focusing making a virtual pinball machine.

I made a theme for arc browser that gives it a cleaner look which is hosted on their download page under my username.

You may also be interested in retrobox tv which last I used, was gearing towards having video & artwork.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

BiZzAr721,

I wholeheartedly agree. I mean, it's not like we are talking about an OS that isn't really relevant (for retro games at least) such as Palm OS, Windows Mobile, or BlackBerry OS. Not everyone has the time to set up Hyperspin, or wants to deal with a Raspberry Pi.

I really hope we can have a Hyperspin-like frontend. Attract Mode on Android would be a logical solution. Just my opinion...

13 hours ago, XC-3730C said:

I really hope we can have a Hyperspin-like frontend. Attract Mode on Android would be a logical solution. Just my opinion..

Asking for it here makes no sense at all buddy. I do realise you asked on their forums nearly a year ago and still it's not been ported over.

I've used all sorts of frontends. Attract mode is a HyperSpin "knock off" really...I really respect the work David Marti has done with the HyperPie project BUT it's borrowing heavily from the "assets" (artwork & videos) we use in HyperSpin. Hell he even converted the HyperSpin database xml files to be compatible with AM. If you don't have time to setup HyperSpin on a compatible Android device, then I don't see how you will have time to do AM on any device to be honest...it still needs configuring.

I do use Arc Browser alongside HyperSpin...mainly because AB has support for recommendations row and voice search on the Shield TV and HS does not. I could re-use my HS artwork with it but that would mean renaming them and frankly I can't be bothered...I just let it scrape what it can find. I use HS as a "party piece" to impress friends but day to day I just use the voice search with AB. The AB developer has said he'd like to implement video previews. I asked him many months ago if the app could adjust the homescreen wallpaper with Recommendations row. He said he didn't know how BUT he eventually figured it out...so I don't regret buying it as he does listen to his customers.

I understand people wanting HS on other Android devices, yes I'd probably put it on my phone if it was compatible but storage will be an issue. The cheap (like the budgie) Android boxes are based on Rockchip...from my understanding Devs hate dealing with them as they are not easy to work with (Koying who does SPMC/Kodi says himself no dedicated Rockchip support). So no I'm not surprised HS isn't working on those boxes or SOC's.

The RPI is awesome for what it is...it can even do somethings we can't on the more powerful Shield TV (The Daphne games for example), it's all swings and roundabouts. For the best arcade machine you need to have PC components, anything my Shield TV can't handle I just load my PC's HyperSpin setup with Gamestream and play it remotely. I'd like to sympathise with people who don't have a Shield TV BUT it was their choice to "cheap out" and buy an inferior device. I've had mine for two years and it's been supported very well, it was totally worth the £150 I paid. My friends have admitted they regret not buying the 2015 models when they were going for £100 on Amazon just before they were "discontinued".

P.S 

Yes Thatman...I too can be head counted as an Android user :P  

I will prob just bite the bullet and set up HS on my Shield Portable (which still amazes me that it came our 3-4 years ago, and it is still a solid, versatile portable). I am constantly mobile for my job, and it is a struggle for me time-wise to take on that kind of project.

3 hours ago, XC-3730C said:

I will prob just bite the bullet and set up HS on my Shield Portable (which still amazes me that it came our 3-4 years ago, and it is still a solid, versatile portable). I am constantly mobile for my job, and it is a struggle for me time-wise to take on that kind of project.

Oh I was tempted to get one but then I figured the K1 tablet would make more sense...I waited it out hoping they'd do an X1 tablet (the Nexus 9 isn't really the same thing). Can't say I'm impressed with the Nintendo Switch...every time I see one I think "That chip should be in an Nvidia Tablet!" ;)

Baby steps is the key my friend. Decide what systems you'll really play the most and start from there. Even on a 256GB SD card I think you'd be surprised just how much you can get on there (roms & media inc.) once you're done. I've done a thread linking a video of my setup and a few others have showcased theirs to give you an idea of what it can look like. Thatman has taken the time to do some helpful guides and you'll find members on here can be very helpful.

All the best with it, I'd love to see what you end up with :)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to bump an old thread. I recently obtained a like new Shield Portable and just installed HyperSpin on it. I have had a pretty good time creating some new art assets for it. Thanks to everyone who have provided helpful info related to HyperSpin on Android in the past.

20 minutes ago, dragon57 said:

Sorry to bump an old thread. I recently obtained a like new Shield Portable and just installed HyperSpin on it. I have had a pretty good time creating some new art assets for it. Thanks to everyone who have provided helpful info related to HyperSpin on Android in the past.

That's the best bump on a thread yet ?

Sharing art is always welcome also

Archived