Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Android User Head Count

thatman84

I'm aware of a few new emulators but they aren't mine, so I'm not able to share details.   I also don't know if they'll be ready in 3 months, 9 months, or more.   I will certainly post here when they are released.

My Android emulation wantlist:

--More arcade improvements: model2/3, zinc, mamedev support, improved retroarch mame support, etc.

--Better onscreen keyboard support in Retroarch for Coleco, Odyseey, C64, Amiga, etc.

--Real3doplayer launcher intent

I'm still here! Busy as of late but here!

Hoping to learn all i can on overclocking my Shield TV. I have 2 of them so if one craps out i'm good.

This weekend i plan on finally getting on that Mame/Mess stuff finally.

Shout if you wanna try the CMD file thing for mess. I don't run much through mess so never really used it much.

my setup is a mess still hopefully it will all pull together soon. On a last big push for PSX & Amiga roms then pimp my mame setups

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

how does the Pi compare to Shield. I keep thinking of getting one. Not seen anyone with both so would be cool to get your thought

I run Linux on pretty much all of my computers. I have 2 Raspberry Pi 3s and one Nvidia Shield Portable. 

Here's my take: If you want to leverage your time investment in your Hyperspin setup... there's no choice. Nvidia Sheild. If you need to run an android app for video that doesn't exist for Linux - like netflix or a similar video streaming app, then hard to beat nvidia shield. Done and done.

Now... In my opinion, RetroPie on raspberry pi3 is totally transforming the emulation scene due to cost and simplicity. You can take a raspberry pi, insert a microSD card, and boot it. Look up RetroPie project - it's designed for raspberry pis and includes emulation station and Attract Mode emulation frontends. You can get an image that's just missing roms and art, that's designed to be quick, simple, and easy to use.

For emulation, rpi3 hardware is not super strong - you're going to have trouble running n64 or better emulators, but... it's $35.

My advice would be to get both and play with them both :)

RetroPie has previously used the EmulationStation frontend exclusively, but recently they've been integrating the AttractMode frontend in as well and the themes / wheels / main menus are evolving VERY rapidly.

Here's an example:

Here's what interesting in Attract Mode frontend talk: Cosmo's Theme main menu - 

Whatever you do, Have fun!

1 hour ago, rcampbel3 said:

I run Linux on pretty much all of my computers. I have 2 Raspberry Pi 3s and one Nvidia Shield Portable. 

Here's my take: If you want to leverage your time investment in your Hyperspin setup... there's no choice. Nvidia Sheild. If you need to run an android app for video that doesn't exist for Linux - like netflix or a similar video streaming app, then hard to beat nvidia shield. Done and done.

Now... In my opinion, RetroPie on raspberry pi3 is totally transforming the emulation scene due to cost and simplicity. You can take a raspberry pi, insert a microSD card, and boot it. Look up RetroPie project - it's designed for raspberry pis and includes emulation station and Attract Mode emulation frontends. You can get an image that's just missing roms and art, that's designed to be quick, simple, and easy to use.

For emulation, rpi3 hardware is not super strong - you're going to have trouble running n64 or better emulators, but... it's $35.

My advice would be to get both and play with them both :)

RetroPie has previously used the EmulationStation frontend exclusively, but recently they've been integrating the AttractMode frontend in as well and the themes / wheels / main menus are evolving VERY rapidly.

Here's an example:

Here's what interesting in Attract Mode frontend talk: Cosmo's Theme main menu - 

Whatever you do, Have fun!

Awesome info thankyou for your time.

Congrats on your 1st post btw

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2017 at 3:31 PM, thatman84 said:

how does the Pi compare to Shield. I keep thinking of getting one. Not seen anyone with both so would be cool to get your thought

It's nice but not enough power for 3do, Saturn and game cube

23 hours ago, rambo32 said:

Always watching what's happening, up to 116 wheels and counting. Very exciting to see some new developments, big thanks to everyone involved

Any weird or obscure systems out of the 116 wheels?....tryna check if I'm missing anything I don't have or haven't tried yet

Nothing really that has not been covered in these forums, attached is a copy of my main menu XML. Only one or two of my Nintedo64DD work, i think it's a rom issue, same goes for Dreamcast indies.  Neogeo CHD's work great but i was never able to get CDI running on my shield, no issues at all running it on my PC

Main Menu.xml

Thanks for posting Rambo32.   Have you had luck with Odyssey2?  

The O2EM core in retroarch hasn't worked for me in Android.   If it works for you, perhaps I'm missing a bios file.   Some games crash and others just display four zeros at the top of the screen.

Archived