Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Question About Coins

Ibanezmike

Hey guys, I am currently building a hyperspin arcade machine that will be running MAME, NES, SNES, Sega, and a few other emulators. I was just wondering if anyone knows if you are able to make any emulators (other then MAME) require a coin to be able to play? I want to eventually put a real coin mech in my machine but at the moment I will only be putting a dedicated coin button.

Thanks -Mike

LOL...

The way I have mine setup:

Mounted a switch in conjunction to the coin eject button. Wired a three way switch into it and the coin trip switch. Flip the switch one way and you have to put a coin in. Flip it another way and you can just push the coin eject button to get a credit and flip it the third way and either works.

Thanks,

Ron

Or easiest yet. Throw on Dragons Lair II and just dump a bag of quarters out the window.

LOL, this all day long. I suggest doing it like Rfancella, other wise, just run the coin wire directly to your coin mech switch. Assuming you have one. Theres been a few threads about this in the past, its frowned upon if you're going to set this cab up in public. But its a pretty effective way of keeping your kids off of HS. Already spent your allowance? Too bad!

The arcade machine I am building is only for personal use, it will just be in my living room. I was asking weather you could set hyperspin up so the other emulators can take a coin before being able to play the game like MAME because I have 3 little kids who will be primarily using the machine and I wanted to make a kind of incentive for them to clean their room and all that fun stuff and get coins for the arcade machine in return. I have done a bit of research and I cant find anything that is going to work but it would be a good idea if the hyperspin guys could implement it in a future version of hyperspin.

you are actually asking for the rom to be modified, this is never going to happen.

the only thing that is possible is the South American time limit arcade.

Where you add a coin and you get X amount of time to play.

Given that Hyperspin is intended for home use, A commercial version of hyperspin is probably never going to see the light of day.

If you go down the timer path which would be the easiest option, I would just feed the common of the Ipac or whatever through a time controlled relay. Coins buy your time on Hyperspin and games and when your time runs out, all controls stop working. Would be pretty easy to do with something like an Arduino or similar. Independent of the software that way too.

Cheers HA. @Jeremy0203 I was only going off this -

I was asking weather you could set hyperspin up so the other emulators can take a coin before being able to play the game like MAME because I have 3 little kids who will be primarily using the machine and I wanted to make a kind of incentive for them to clean their room and all that fun stuff and get coins for the arcade machine in return.

Sounds to me like he is looking for a way to lock the machine out without coins. Considering there is basically no other option....

If you don't want to put a time limit on the play time once the start, you can stick a program between hyperspin and hyperlaunch that intercepts the communication between the two. This program could then ask for coins before starting hyperlaunch. It would honestly suck to be playing a game that can't save and be near the end and then have it suddenly quit because of the time limit thing.

If you don't want to put a time limit on the play time once the start, you can stick a program between hyperspin and hyperlaunch that intercepts the communication between the two. This program could then ask for coins before starting hyperlaunch. It would honestly suck to be playing a game that can't save and be near the end and then have it suddenly quit because of the time limit thing.

Just a thought. Could you remap the start button to the coin switch? Or set the coin switch to pass a password and set the launch to be password protected?

Thanks,

Ron

• 3 years later...

I put two coin slectors (from hollandcomputers.com) in my arcade. HS Arcade Classics uses those slots.

It is fun when we have a party. 25ct a game. Whoever has the highscore on pac-man and centipede get half each of all coins. 

I just wish I could program HS or Arcade classics that slot one is 1 game per 10ct coin and slot 2 is 3 games per 25ct coin.

0EEB722A-D56A-4B86-BAFB-9C5984641524.jpeg

E1414480-86E6-4BD0-AD96-283E52CEFB29.jpeg

Archived