Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Backgrounds Folder

zero dreams

Don't know the purpose of the Backgrounds folder as I've placed a few properly named images in there and they don't display when I scroll over the games. I assume this folder is for background images so I don't have to create thousands of themes to change the backgrounds but I've never used it before. Sorry if this has been asked before but all the Google links are broken.

Guess I should also mention that I'm using the HS beta if that changes anything. For reference, this is the backgrounds folder I'm referring to:

C:\HyperSpin\Media\Nintendo Entertainment System\Images\Backgrounds

As far as I remember "background" folder does work but it will not read "default.png" (dont' include background in theme). So you'll need 1 background per-game, you can't just make some of them and use "default" for those who don't have a BK.

BBB is developing HS 1.4 and he's open to suggestions, please post here http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/8392-hyperspin-14-private-beta-testing/page-19#entry146906 . Honestly there's another problem even if "default" background is fixed: all artwork layer appears OVER the wheel, if you want to use "fanart" style you'll need a GUI over the BK and UNDER the wheel. Pointer.png layer can be used for GUI BUT it dont' support SWF, so no animation and no image smoothing. Having artwork0 layer OR the possibility to render Artwork1 UNDER the wheel, OR swf pointer.swf would be all great fix...

No stylphelus, genre backgrounds are in

C:\Hyperspin\Media\Sega Genesis\Images\Genre\Backgrounds

If it's not here by default (honestly I don't remember) you can create

C:\Hyperspin\Media\Sega Genesis\Images\Backgrounds

Backgrounds DEFINITELY works, but default.png won't load

Here's a theme (it sucks) with boxarts in background folder: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3q0o7mkmggaqzzz/1-%20pack%20folder.zip?dl=0

Thanks Dark, that worked perfectly :) My theme uses the pointer layer for the Nox floor which overlays the background images. Now that we have the horizontal wide option it looks fantastic and my theme looks exactly like RCB. With the backgrounds folder, sadly using SD images for backgrounds, it behaves the same too. All that's left really is coverflow effect on my boxart and layout all my infos.

Theme with no background will use the backgrounds folder if the images are not flashed.

Thanks Dark, that worked perfectly :) My theme uses the pointer layer for the Nox floor which overlays the background images. Now that we have the horizontal wide option it looks fantastic and my theme looks exactly like RCB. With the backgrounds folder, sadly using SD images for backgrounds, it behaves the same too. All that's left really is coverflow effect on my boxart and layout all my infos.

Theme with no background will use the backgrounds folder if the images are not flashed.

Pics please :) The more the merrier I say.

This is exactly was i was planning for nox XII: background folder and GUI/floor on pointer, this is the main reason why theme is set to "reload", to show fanart. Then i realized 2 things:

1- Pointer can't be a .swf, so no animation and no smooth

2- You can't use Default.png in background nor Artwork folder like you do with themes, so you need 1 BK per game

In the very end with variables I can batch the same image in a set with rom's name but BK is 1-2mb, so, in a 800 games system you would end up with 800mb-1.6gb of background images. Way too much... My "solution" is to release the .fla used for background so you can import another images in background and export movie to create a game's theme.

I will ask BBB if it's possible to have "default.png" in background and a flag to render Artwork1 under wheel or the possibility to use a swf pointer. Trnzaddict, zero dreams don't be shy and post ideas in 1.4beta thread, as BBB told me "not everything is possible but if you have an idea that will improve HS I can try". BBB really wants to polish HS1 so there will be no complaints about missing features while he's working on HS2 :)

@zero dreams

For infos I can share the .ods I'm preparing with FrankyRizzo and Billyc999, the idea is to create a database that can be used to batch other layout, not to create a database that will be used ONLY in Aeon Nox.

@ dark13

Yep, the pointer's got to be a standard definition image but it ain't that bad when I'm only using it for a simple overlay. I just made a floor with a top bar for default screens pointer and went with a info bar and top bar for the main menu to keep everything matching with Kodi and RCB. The pointers aren't "perfection" as they're not HD but they work perfect for their purpose and the fanart really overtakes the screen unless you were looking for flaws. 

The backgrounds works great if you use RCB and scrape for fanart and ensure these images are then batched to HS backgrounds standards (1024x768 pngs) but then we're right back where we started wishing HS was high definition so our backgrounds didn't look stretched and ewww. This is the closest I've ever seen to what RCB does in terms of display and it's not locked in from all directions like RCB either. You lose coverflow, HD, info, and correct proportion on the horizontal alignment but you gain a systems menu, customization, and it's already tied to all of our databases.

I think we absolutely 100% think we need another layer to supplement my using the pointer for the floor image. Layer 1 just overlays everything on the screen except the video and info so a layer underneath that for wallpapers/fanarts would be most useful. I wouldn't mind requesting this layer if I didn't think it required a big change plus I don't want to get in the way of his progress with my little ideas.

@ Trnzaddict

Tried to upload some stuff to my folder but kept getting access denied so I said screw it. The time for fiddling with frontends and not playing games has come upon me. There is no fe that fits my solution but if you combine all three experiences then you have one good one...let the shunning commence. Kodi's Rom Browser Collection is by far the best solution in terms of scraping, art collecting, coverflow, and it's natively HD but lacks a visible system select which is almost a complete deal breaker for me. GameEx is HD has music, info, scraping, and other on screen list views to browse through games but the breaker is the usage of images for games in the same fashion as RCB. Both of these are HD and offer viable things like music and coverflow but it's all about purpose.

I bought two Alienware Alphas, one i7 and one i3, and the first decision was what to put on there. First I put Kodi, then Rocketlauncher, then I chose HS because it could do what I wanted it to do which was be a better version of RCB. I don't like the shitty low definition backgrounds but HS as RCB gets me closer to day one before I knew what an emulator was and just played games. The Alphas just connect to the NAS wirelessly so I can just hook them up anywhere in the house and stream movies and games galore. I've got 360s on one and Dualshocks on the other. (Anyone want to know how to get Dualshocks to work on the Alpha just ask)

The images below are how it looks now as I just wanna leave it open to whatever. I figure I'll just use special art on the bar on the main menu and I'll tidy up the scrolling text at some point. I'm not really serious into anything but my own personal setup. It's all about me now...me time.  

bvmDpnY.jpg?1

oRSxlSD.jpg?1

Yeah, it's gonna look real good with custom info.

• 5 weeks later...

RCB is "Rom Collection Browser," a plugin for Kodi.  Kodi (originally named Xbox Media Center) is a media center program for various OS's.  zero dreams, I love the themes.  I dream of a HS setup that includes info, number of players, genre, and metacritic rating displayed on-screen and allows you to sort through games by those categories.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived