Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

How To Set Up HyperSpin on the Nvidia Shield (Beginners Guide)

Fromlostdays

I have defined my buttons.  I have the B button for the NES pad set to X on my Shield TV controller.  However it's not reflected when I actually play a game.  I resume after making sure the settings are still there and even though I have the B button mapped to X and the A button mapped to A, the buttons I have to press to actually play a NES game are the Y and B buttons on the Shield TV controller.  Any idea how I can fix this?  So weird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pairod - Android is a fast moving, evolving platform.  The OS and emulator app changes cause chaos.   Patience is a necessary virtue here.

I can't help with swap of A/B buttons in Hyperspin (it's not currently supported). 

If you can clarify device, OS version, and other related details, I might be able to help with other questions.

pairod - Android is a fast moving, evolving platform.  The OS and emulator app changes cause chaos.   Patience is a necessary virtue here.

I can't help with swap of A/B buttons in Hyperspin (it's not currently supported). 

If you can clarify device, OS version, and other related details, I might be able to help with other questions.

Device is Shield TV with the wireless game controller. The A/B were flipped in RetroArch (Hyperspin is fine in that regard).

I got past Hyperspin saying "missing rom" and now am at the point where it loads Retroarch (which just updated a couple days ago to 1.3)

HOWEVER it loads to a black screen, the rom never loads, if I hit the Nvidia button the Retroarch UI comes up and if I exit it goes back to Hyperspin. I already downloaded/configured the cores in Retroarch. Retroarch loads and plays the roms fine. The problem is with Hyperspin telling Retroarch to load. I already set up my paths using your Settings_Android and I can get my Hyperspin media to play, but cannot get the roms to actually open up over in Retroarch. I already have the cores ready to go as configured in the settings linked to in the OP.

Only the Retroarch file browser actually loads the roms into playable state :( Black screen with Hyperspin

Device is Shield TV with the wireless game controller. The A/B were flipped in RetroArch (Hyperspin is fine in that regard).

I got past Hyperspin saying "missing rom" and now am at the point where it loads Retroarch (which just updated a couple days ago to 1.3)

HOWEVER it loads to a black screen, the rom never loads, if I hit the Nvidia button the Retroarch UI comes up and if I exit it goes back to Hyperspin. I already downloaded/configured the cores in Retroarch. Retroarch loads and plays the roms fine. The problem is with Hyperspin telling Retroarch to load. I already set up my paths using your Settings_Android and I can get my Hyperspin media to play, but cannot get the roms to actually open up over in Retroarch. I already have the cores ready to go as configured in the settings linked to in the OP.

Only the Retroarch file browser actually loads the roms into playable state :( Black screen with Hyperspin

The Retroarch aligned their abstracted 'retropad' with the NES controller.   I don't like it either but it's easy to swap those two buttons in the settings->input binding menu.

Regarding black screen, which cores?   All cores?   If so, I'd uninstall and reinstall to clear out any bad/wrong settings related to old shader post-processing, etc.

Remember, there are two sets of unique config settings with Retroarch related to launching from inside RA and outside RA.    Any changes you want to stick for Hyperspin must be made after launching a game from Hyperspin.    Launch game, make config change, exit Retroarch back to Hyperspin.  That saves it.

Regarding black screen, which cores?   All cores?   If so, I'd uninstall and reinstall to clear out any bad/wrong settings related to old shader post-processing, etc.

Remember, there are two sets of unique config settings with Retroarch related to launching from inside RA and outside RA.    Any changes you want to stick for Hyperspin must be made after launching a game from Hyperspin.    Launch game, make config change, exit Retroarch back to Hyperspin.  That saves it.

I already know how to save Retroarch config settings. Doesn't fix anything for me.

Failure loading games from Hyperspin:

• NES - Hyperspin screen flickers
  • SNES - loads Retroarch but game doesn't load, stuck on black screen have to exit Retroarch
  • Genesis - Hyperspin screen flickers black
Default cores that are set in the ini's linked from your OP guide. Using 7z extension. Seeing as Hyperspin is passing the roms, do those cores support 7z? No error message is given...

OK so NONE of the libtero cores support 7z (of the defaults that I tried), but loading unarchived roms is fine.

Is there something that Hyperspin should be doing like extracting the rom before passing it to Retroarch?

It would be nice if Hyperspin warned you or could detect Retroarch crashing/failing and tell you why.

The Retroarch aligned their abstracted 'retropad' with the NES controller.   I don't like it either but it's easy to swap those two buttons in the settings->input binding menu.

Do you know where exactly this is in Retroarch version 1.3?

Also please allow/provide core selection override from the Hyperspin Android interface if you are just going to override the Retroarch settings.

It sounds like the latest build of retroarch has a bug with compressed roms.   I'd just wait a day or two for them to fix this.

You can redefine controller inptus in Settings->input bindings for controller.

Hyperspin doesn't override settings from any other app.  They are separate apps with separate settings.  There is no relation.

It sounds like the latest build of retroarch has a bug with compressed roms.   I'd just wait a day or two for them to fix this.

Did they say this somewhere? I think I have everything working now, most my issues seemed to be Retroarch related. Maybe in the setup guide stress the difference between Hyperspin & Retroarch a little more to make it clear to people like me who don't know what they're doing.

Did they say this somewhere? I think I have everything working now, most my issues seemed to be Retroarch related. Maybe in the setup guide stress the difference between Hyperspin & Retroarch a little more to make it clear to people like me who don't know what they're doing.

Since many different emulators are generally used, this kind of confusion is new with the rise of Retroarch covering so many bases.

I'm glad to hear you're figuring things out though.  The setup is non-trivial and my #1 hope for 2016 is that setup becomes easier this year.

It is not easy to find all the files that work well together.   

I just got a shield portable today but I am struggling with this setup. I downloaded hyperspin from the playstore and retro arch but haven't got it up and running yet. Hyperspin doesn't launch. when I try to launch it it just flashes a grey screen very quickly which says hyperspin in the top left and immediately closes.   I tried to set up a hyperspin folder on a sdcard but that didn't seem to work and I also put it in the android folder of the standard storage are a of the shield and that didn't seem to help either...

if someone has this working I would really appreciate some guidance. Thank you!

If you can't find a bigger/better setup online, I suggest starting with the FULL data download from the PC Hyperspin (to ensure things are working).

I did run into an issue with the HFS15k 'setup'.   It was lacking an override video in the /media/frontend/videos/override folder.   It was crashing on Android without this.

yeah I downloaded a fresh hyperspin as Directed to and I placed it on an SD card. When I use the launcher downloaded from the playstore nothing happens. does the Hyperspin folder I place on the shield need to be in a specific location? I tried on the SD card and I tried on the built in memory of the shield.

Namdor - which device do you have?   The Hyperspin folder must be named /Hyperspin and be located at the root of your media.  So /sdcard/Hyperspin or /Hyperspin on the ext-sdcard or otg-usbdrive.

My understanding is the Android-M releases for tablets limit you to internal /sdcard only right now.  There is no way to access external storage at the moment.   I've been told this will change for upcoming Shield tablet update.

@reznnate do you have a way to contact whoever is in charge at libtero? Their forums are broken and it is impossible to register, I contacted them about it and never received a reply. Hyperspin has been working very well for me on Shield TV, but Retroarch is super buggy and I feel bad asking for help on that here...

You mentioned several posts back something about a Retroarch bugfix update? Do you have any more info on that or know when it might be released to play store?

Retroarch is a wildly complex project and there aren't many working on it. It is a free project, I don't know how they do it. Join Inc channel # retroarch to chat. It is fine to report issues and request help, but always remember those guys are doing it for the fun of it. They don't owe us anything.

That's okay Namdor, just like lightguns, Hyperspin isn't for everyone.  :-)

In my case, now that I've got my cabinet setup and working as 'always on, sleeps when left alone, instant-on, I'm not going back to my PC setup.

If it's not obvious, I also enjoy the hobby aspect of the dynamic, fast-improving nature of Android emulation.   

Post a picture of your cabinet, I'd like to see it!

I started working on my cabinet with Shield portable but now I carry it around and replaced it with more-powerful Shield TV.

Hyperspin looks gorgeous on a small screen.. but it looks even better on a 4k TV.

Out of curiosity, do you enjoy playing retro games on a touch screen?   I can't handle it for more than a minute...

Archived