Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Should I compress my roms (zip/rar/7z) Or upgrade my HDD?

SkyHighGam3r

This isn't a matter of personal taste. The Neo Geo CD games are missing animation and have long load times. They're garbage and a waste of space.

LOL. This guy reminds me of Jeremy... "Everyone must think exactly like me!"

I've owned 4 different GBA's over the years myself and I think there are quite a few good games for it. Don't get me wrong, there is probably more crapware on GBA than any other system. But there are good games too. I will have them on my wheel and what you think about the system is irrelevant.

NeoCD is much the same. You think they are a waste of space and that's cool. Don't use them. But don't imply that others should follow you. Some people actually owned this system and played it quite a bit. Who are you to tell them they shouldn't have that system on their wheel? Who are you to say they cannot enjoy these games exactly the way they remember playing them?

It IS personal taste! Every decision you've ever made regarding games and HS is personal opinion/taste. 

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every decision you've ever made regarding games and HS is personal opinion/taste. 

This is actually the exact reason I chose to use HyperSpin, it's so incredibly customizable based on what you want. From the amount of games, to how the games are listed, to the art used for each game to the themes themselves.

I'm glad not everyone has that "this is crap therefore no one should have it" mentality. This is the last place I expected to see comments like that lol in a community where some members actively fight to preserve rare content before it disappears forever. Whether or not an individual cares for a particular game or system, it's still a part of our culture and history as gamers.

Whether or not an individual cares for a particular game or system, it's still a part of our culture and history as gamers.

Exactly!

Lol I sure as hell didn't keep "Night Trap" because it has stood the test of time. I just am very passionate about censorship, and that game is pretty important in that historical context.

I felt like he was only saying 'get rid of these systems' BECAUSE you came on here originally complaining about space and money for a new HDD.

Either way, I am just starting to get all of my situation together and do not see myself holding onto ANY full rom sets.

Great thread!

Just wanted to give an update on how the compression is going.

It seems going with GZ was most definitely the way to go for the PS2. I'm doing it one by one in my spare time, but using 7z at Max compression (not ultra) I went from #-D and I have saved almost 30GB of space.

That's only maybe... 20?-ish games on my setup? so that's a LOT of space that's been saved thus far.

Also, I read that wbfs was a 'lossy' format for Wii games. So I'm deciding I might be against it.... Has anyone experienced issues with this 'lossy-ness'??

• 1 year later...

I got a couple of HDD's, so I am looking to re-zip my ps2 roms to GZip. 

I am unzipping them into the new drive, but I had to unzipped them in subfolders, because I noticed that a few of my roms are in cue/bin (i.e.: Ico (USA) \Ico (USA).cue  and Track.bin).  

Should I have to convert them to .iso and then run total commander to compress them in GZip? Or can total commander gzip them from the subfolders directly?

*Edit: Regarding the cue/bin roms that I have, I noticed that PCSX2 can run the bin files, it doesn't need the .cue file. Also total commander can structure the folder to show all files on the root (I forget how this option was called).

The only question I have now is when total commander is compressing the roms to GZIP, it adds the extension on the name (i.e., Ico (USA).iso.gz), so I don't know how to make it to not include the .iso or .bin on the compressed Gzip file name..... I can use bulk rename utility to remove all of these, but if I can avoid this would be better hehe.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, badboo said:

I got a couple of HDD's, so I am looking to re-zip my ps2 roms to GZip. 

I am unzipping them into the new drive, but I had to unzipped them in subfolders, because I noticed that a few of my roms are in cue/bin (i.e.: Ico (USA) \Ico (USA).cue  and Track.bin).  

Should I have to convert them to .iso and then run total commander to compress them in GZip? Or can total commander gzip them from the subfolders directly?

*Edit: Regarding the cue/bin roms that I have, I noticed that PCSX2 can run the bin files, it doesn't need the .cue file. Also total commander can structure the folder to show all files on the root (I forget how this option was called).

The only question I have now is when total commander is compressing the roms to GZIP, it adds the extension on the name (i.e., Ico (USA).iso.gz), so I don't know how to make it to not include the .iso or .bin on the compressed Gzip file name..... I can use bulk rename utility to remove all of these, but if I can avoid this would be better hehe.

Well this original thread was from over a year ago so things have changed a bit.

Now I have a single 8TB to hold all my games.
Nothing is compressed (PS2 takes 3TB)
I've set my entire hyperspin setup on the harddrive so I can take it with me anywhere.

Anywhere there is a computer I can play video games lol

On 8/2/2017 at 1:32 PM, SkyHighGam3r said:

Well this original thread was from over a year ago so things have changed a bit.

Now I have a single 8TB to hold all my games.
Nothing is compressed (PS2 takes 3TB)
I've set my entire hyperspin setup on the harddrive so I can take it with me anywhere.

Anywhere there is a computer I can play video games lol

hehe yeah that is convenient. I already had my hyperspin on a external 5 tb hdd. Not sure what happened but the disk format messed up and I almost lost everything. I had to use a tool recovery to get all the files from that  external hdd to others hdd's. So now I stick with internal hdd only.

Well, going back to the original question, I am done compressing all roms to Gzip, including .bin and .iso, no need for any .cue file... PCSX2 worked well with those formats in GZIP compression. So I have 2.5TB with somewhere between 1,200 ~ 1,600 roms. 

I don't think I will have any issue or whatsoever. It took me like 6 days converting all of these from zip to GZip lol, but it is worth the time invested.

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2018 at 9:32 PM, KRIS85 said:

The amazing post thank you very much I learned in saving space but I still have 2 questions:
What about this loss in wii wbfs
There is some idea for psx emu epsx games, unfortunately 7z + epsx does not start games ??

I am not sure about wbfs format, I guess there shouldn't be a loss or whatsoever.

For PSX, I am not sure what your problem could be, unless you check the log. Have you read the notes about epsx on RL? or have you tried another emulator, like retroarch?

On 10/15/2018 at 6:32 PM, KRIS85 said:

The amazing post thank you very much I learned in saving space but I still have 2 questions:
What about this loss in wii wbfs
There is some idea for psx emu epsx games, unfortunately 7z + epsx does not start games ??

for PSX you should consider using CHD files,    as the name implies  C= compressed;  their is no need to 7z this files.

I don't know about epsx,  but their are multiple emulators that should load this format directly.  

You can also get the PSP ready psx  files.   this files have also been compressed and are loaded directly by most emulators.

11 minutes ago, gigapig said:

Use Wii backup manager to convert Wii games to either ciso or wbfs.

Is this a better method that just right clicking the game in dolphin and choose compress game? I did this on the complete GC set over night (you can  use alt+a to select all games). Works on Wii games too.

1 hour ago, Dime333 said:

Is this a better method that just right clicking the game in dolphin and choose compress game? I did this on the complete GC set over night (you can  use alt+a to select all games). Works on Wii games too.

If the size is the same then I doubt it, I forgot Dolphin could do it as well. 

Archived