Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

NEC PC Engine-CD - best emulator to use?

craiganderson

I remember a similar topic to this and I'd like to repeat -- Mednafen by miles. Works perfect for every game I've tried.

Charging users for an emulator is incredibly lame and a complete waste of money, especially with so many free, open-source and regularly updated emulators around today. You can also even rewind Turbo CD games with Medna. Not to mention all the other systems it accurately emulates. You could try RetroArch too with the PCE cores, probably works just as well.

I remember a similar topic to this and I'd like to repeat -- Mednafen by miles. Works perfect for every game I've tried.

Charging users for an emulator is incredibly lame and a complete waste of money, especially with so many free, open-source and regularly updated emulators around today. You can also even rewind Turbo CD games with Medna. Not to mention all the other systems it accurately emulates. You could try RetroArch too with the PCE cores, probably works just as well.

Who says we paid ;) *Cough*UG*Cough*

Mednafen without a doubt. Ootake is also good.

Magic Engine while it should play most games perfectly fine is old, not really updated anymore and not as accurate as Mednafen. Just because someone charges money for something doesn't mean it's better than a freeware alternative :)

My 2 cents: if you really care about your customers you would add mp3 support for pc-engine cd instead of babbling about piracy. No pce-CD game is still printed and games like sapphire or castelvania does have crazy prices.

Some years ago I would say magic engine but right now I find ootake to be really good. Sadly no emulator supports iso+mp3 so a pce-cd collection is a bit space-consuming...

Sadly no emulator supports iso+mp3 so a pce-cd collection is a bit space-consuming...

I'm towards the end of a translated "Castlevania - Rondo of Blood" using Mednafen. The patched rip I'm using is cue + iso + wavs, and the folder size is only 489 MB. Not much larger than a regular bin + cue CD game. My "Beyond Shadowgate" bin + cue rip for example is 445 MB. Perhaps other games are larger though.

Yes, tipical ISO romset space usage. But kega fusion uses iso+mp3 heart of the alien is 46,3MB and even silpheed is "only" 331MB. Most pce-cd games uses space mainly for music, as far as I remember pce-cd could not do full motion video :D

Mendafen is good, but I have a full version of magic engine(that I didn't buy). I like how easy it is to setup magic engine as apposed to mendafen. If you can sit through 7700 plus lines in mendafen config file then you are good. If I can recall correctly you don't have to mount ISO images with mendafen but you have to with magic engine.

• 1 month later...
Mendafen is good, but I have a full version of magic engine(that I didn't buy). I like how easy it is to setup magic engine as apposed to mendafen. If you can sit through 7700 plus lines in mendafen config file then you are good. If I can recall correctly you don't have to mount ISO images with mendafen but you have to with magic engine.

is this true?

thbanks

craig

Sadly no emulator supports iso+mp3 so a pce-cd collection is a bit space-consuming...

True that no emulator supports it, but it's not really an issue with the current HD prices.

I'm currently working on a complete set based on TruRip and .bin/.cue and it will be around 50 Gb 7zipped.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9300 met Tapatalk

I'm going to work on adding this system to my Hyperspin.

I really love using MESS or Mednafen for the ease of gaining access to the settings and altering the controllers etc.

What the best emulator for this system?

The choices are in the attached image.

thanks

Magic Engine

• 3 months later...

I can't get Mednafen to run PC-ENGINE-CD roms. I installed the bios for it in the firmware folder and it won't run. All my PC-ENGINE games work fine on Mednafen but the PC-ENGINE CD system won't work. When I extract my 7z files for the roms, I'm left with img, sub and ccd file extensions.

Archived