Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Retroarch 1.7.8 (Google Play) not compatible with Hyperspin?!?

Honosuseri

Retroarch (Google Play) has updated itself to the latest version 1.7.8 and it seems to have broken compatibility with Hyperspin ?

Having done some quick reading (https://www.libretro.com/index.php/retroarch-1-7-8-important-changes-for-people-using-the-google-play-build/) it seems under the "infinite wisdom" of Google. They're forced to build in both 32 and 64bit support for the app, so the device (Shield TV) will default to using the 64bit version as it is a 64bit device. I'm not entirely sure what's gone wrong as I haven't had time to delve further into it, although I know ZeroJay did a modded Hyperspin apk for 64bit support (that doesn't work either). Just wanted to warn users so they don't update and have any aggro.

You can still side load 32bit versions of Retroarch, I'll do that later and test. I'm actually quite excited about some of the features that have now come in the latest version.

***EDIT***

The retroarch_ra32.apk (v1.7.8) changes the path (typical). So it's now "exe=com.retroarch32/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture". Hyperspin doesn't like this and it misbehaves as it did trying to load the original 64bit Google play version, which is why ZeroJay did the modified Hyperspin apk.

Just chatting with bparker and hunterk in Libretro discord and it looks like gpsp for GBA, pcsxrearmed for PS1 and Picodrive for Sega are the only cores that run better in 32bit.

So its not drastically bad but still a pita. Guess we wont probably see an update to HS apk to help us with these issues :(

Those 3 cores lack the dynarec (dynamic recompiler), work is being done to get it put into Pico and PCSX.

It is drastically bad! There are many Mame cores missing in the 64bit build, Mame2010 I use for Cave. The Daphne test core doesn't work in the 64 bit version either, I'm sure there's other stuff I can't recall off the top of my head. I've never wanted to use the 64bit version, it was Mikty who kept harping on about Hyperspin using it because it has a Daphne core (which is currently pants)....hence @zerojay being kind enough to do a custom HS.apk.

I guess the dust will have to settle and we shall see what happens, my vote is for HS to use the dedicated RA 1.7.8 32bit apk. I'm confident Freelancer will fix any issues with RA and his frontend Arc Browser (he has already implemented support for both 32 and 64bit versions), I use that more than Hyperspin on Android anyway.

25 minutes ago, rambo32 said:

So glad I have Auto updates turned off 

I need to look into it further. It's possible my STV put the install to my adopted drive rather than the internal storage which can cock things up. Just wanted people to hold off updating until we're sure it works okay with Hyperspin. I hate having to tinker with this stuff when it goes wrong, so I know I'm not alone ;)

6 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

I need to look into it further. It's possible my STV put the install to my adopted drive rather than the internal storage which can cock things up. Just wanted people to hold off updating until we're sure it works okay with Hyperspin. I hate having to tinker with this stuff when it goes wrong, so I know I'm not alone ;)

So can you use RA 1.7.8 (32bit nightly) from buildbot.libretro on NVS or is 1.7.8 a no no ?

Yeah stick with 1.7.7

As Hono said 1.7.8 64bit is missing many cores. Speaking with libretro devs they are struggling to find anyone to try compiling those cores in aarch64.

Im may be a higher priority now but as they are not a fan of closed source frontend launchers and its easily worked around on a standalone basis im expecting a long wait for aarch64 to catch up. Fingers crossed someone with the skills steps in for them.

The 64bit version does fix the Atari 5200 system if iirc, other than that there's no real need to switch from the 32bit currently.

I would appreciate it if ZeroJay could knock us together a custom HS apk to strictly use just the nightly 32bit 1.7.8 version (https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/android/RetroArch_ra32.apk), if and when he has the free time of course (my free time is also scarce). RA 1.7.8 has some cool features like AI text to speech translation, which would be awesome for the many Jap games we have across systems. 

• 4 weeks later...

This has really peed me off as I'm new to hyperspin & spent more time setting it up than actually playing it. With the mame core (the one without a year) vanishing it's basically broken my setup. Just wondering is it possible to stream a pc version of hyperspin to the shield using gamestream?

6 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

This has really peed me off as I'm new to hyperspin & spent more time setting it up than actually playing it. With the mame core (the one without a year) vanishing it's basically broken my setup. Just wondering is it possible to stream a pc version of hyperspin to the shield using gamestream?

Yes you can do that, although you may notice input lag.

I can recommend the alternate Frontend Arc Browser. I told the developer about the Retroarch issue and he's already implemented a fix to use the retroarch_ra32.apk. I know it costs money to buy the app but seeing as it's actively developed and Hyperspin on Android isn't, you can't really complain. You can use it on the Shield TV and an Android phone, it also can be shared with your family if you use that account feature with Google Play. He creates presets for the systems and their emulators so setup is actually very easy to do, it can scrape the internet for metadata and artwork too.

Yeah Arc Browser was what I was using before I discovered hyperspin so it's probably what I'll go back to on the shield. Noticed launchbox are have an android app in beta at the mo so might be a case of playing the waiting game til this is ready or retroarch is fixed. Shame as hyperspin is definitely the more attractive frontend.

2 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

Yeah Arc Browser was what I was using before I discovered hyperspin so it's probably what I'll go back to on the shield. Noticed launchbox are have an android app in beta at the mo so might be a case of playing the waiting game til this is ready or retroarch is fixed. Shame as hyperspin is definitely the more attractive frontend.

From what I read Launchbox on Android imports from a PC setup you have to already have ?

I use AB and Hyperspin. AB works with the voice search which is a nice feature. If I say Mortal Kombat, AB shows the games and KODI shows the movies I have in their Libraries. Although yes HS looks more "flash" with the animated themes but AB does now support video files.

I think we need the dust to settle. Retroarch 64 has been in a sorry state for a while now BUT with Google forcing devices to use 64bit if it's native to the device, we should start to see RA64 improve. When RA64 is in a better state Hyperspin could then be made to use the 64bit version as default, as it's only compatible on the STV which is a 64bit device.

30 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I have spoke with the HS dev team about 64bit. We are awaiting a reply.......... please don’t expect an “official“ fix anytime soon.

:(

I don't expect an official fix until the 64bit versions are actually worth using!

If there's enough demand, I'll do a video & provide the apk to get RA 1.7.7 installed and working with Hyperspin again for those who updated and are struggling.

23 minutes ago, Honosuseri said:
58 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

I don't expect an official fix until the 64bit versions are actually worth using!

As the 64bit version is now default it doesn't need fixing. The ability to use the ra32 apk is whats needed to stop us being locked in to 1.7.7 and before versions.

Either way we both know updates are generally few and far between

49 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

As the 64bit version is now default it doesn't need fixing. The ability to use the ra32 apk is whats needed to stop us being locked in to 1.7.7 and before versions.

Either way we both know updates are generally few and far between

1.7.8 (which defaults to 64bit) didn't work for me with Hyperspin, granted I didn't spend much time with it as 64bit is useless to me. Cataclysm67 said he couldn't get it working either no matter what he tried. That's why I started this thread, so other members wouldn't break their setup. So Hyperspin will need fixing unless you can shed any light on the subject.

I don't expect anything to be done until the 64 bit build matures and is worth using over 32bit. ZeroJay had limited success integrating both 32 and 64bit RA support into HS, so I don't hold much hope of Retroarch_ra32.apk being added in

4 hours ago, thatman84 said:

I have spoke with the HS dev team about 64bit. We are awaiting a reply.......... please don’t expect an “official“ fix anytime soon.

:(

The android port wasn't made by anyone on the dev team.  It was that dude who worked for nVidia that made it back when the shield was released.  I don't think anyone even has the source but him.  (Sorry I can't recall his name atm)

I actually had no idea Arc Browser supported video until you mentioned it. After watching a few youtube videos it seems I under estimated what its capable of. Thanks for the advice I think running hyperspin on my gaming laptop & arc browser on my shield is the best option. As my hyperspin setup is on an external hdd I'm hoping I can point arc browser to the media files I already have.

12 hours ago, Circo said:

The android port wasn't made by anyone on the dev team.  It was that dude who worked for nVidia that made it back when the shield was released.  I don't think anyone even has the source but him.  (Sorry I can't recall his name atm)

Yeah it was @reznnate, awesome job on it. Frosty reached out, just waiting on a reply.

11 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Yeah it was @reznnate, awesome job on it. Frosty reached out, just waiting on a reply.

yes really marvelous job. thanks again for all. hyperpspin android is still valid on 64 bits edition, the only problematic cores are picodrive, pcsx rearmed and mame.

11 hours ago, Gingerdilligaf said:

I actually had no idea Arc Browser supported video until you mentioned it. After watching a few youtube videos it seems I under estimated what its capable of. Thanks for the advice I think running hyperspin on my gaming laptop & arc browser on my shield is the best option. As my hyperspin setup is on an external hdd I'm hoping I can point arc browser to the media files I already have.

Yes Reznnate did Hyperspin on Android for the Shield Portable, which I guess we could say is the grand daddy for Nintendo's Switch. He did a great job but sadly it's lacking a lot of features which other frontends on Android do provide. I use HS more as a party piece to show off to friends, AB I use more as it's on the STV and my phone.

I've spoken to Freelancer the AB developer about using assets from Hyperspin's directories (i.e the video snaps), rather than having to double up on the files. We've also requested that videos can play in the background, then we could use "cinematic themes" to get something that looks very similar to what Hyperspin gives us now.

So yes I might well too remove Hyperspin from my Shield TV BUT it will stay on my PC which is used for emulation. Although people seem to prefer Launchbox on PC for it's ease of setup, power users integrate Rocketlauncher with it so the ease of use argument then goes out the window. I'll stick with Hyperspin and continue to contribute to the community here :)

2 hours ago, mikty said:

yes really marvelous job. thanks again for all. hyperpspin android is still valid on 64 bits edition, the only problematic cores are picodrive, pcsx rearmed and mame.

That's not true. The Daphne core doesn't work (or the alpha test core), Flycast will play Dreamcast but naomi/atomiswave games aren't working from my experience. Dolphin core has gfx glitches so isn't really an alternative to the standalone emulator. I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting off the top of my head

Archived