Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Pinball Electrical 101

Will you be using contactors only for the flippers and the pull solenoids for all others?

I was using all pull solenoids and 12 v contactors for flippers only. The pull solenoids do not keep up with fast bumper movements.

I will be switching to only 3 pull solenoids two for the slings and one for the knocker.

The other 6 will be 24v contactors controlled by LedWiz.

Edited by pinballlooking

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the helpful responses gentlemen!! I read the schematic in PB101 as the grey line needs to be closest to the + terminal.

Just out of curiosity, is there an ideal spot in the cabinet to place the shaker? I was going to put mine towards the back, probably under where the castle would be on MM.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

While the wiring looks easy. I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what parts I need and where to buy them. As there can be multiple part numbers that look almost exact.

Here's a list of parts I've acquired so far:

8 contactors (24v)

shaker

h dual bridge

led wiz

knocker

cree leds

flashers

Outside of this, I don't have anything else.

I believe I need:

1n4007 diodes (8?) http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/1N4007-T/1N4007DICT-ND/76454

Finder Relays (?)

Fuses (?)

Fuse Holders (?)

Screw in Terminals (?)

Any advice on the qty + maybe a possible source to buy them from?

While the wiring looks easy. I'm having a pretty tough time figuring out what parts I need and where to buy them. As there can be multiple part numbers that look almost exact.

Here's a list of parts I've acquired so far:

8 contactors (24v)

shaker

h dual bridge

led wiz

knocker

cree leds

flashers

Outside of this, I don't have anything else.

I believe I need:

1n4007 diodes (8?) http://search.digikey.com/us/en/products/1N4007-T/1N4007DICT-ND/76454

Finder Relays (?)

Fuses (?)

Fuse Holders (?)

Screw in Terminals (?)

Any advice on the qty + maybe a possible source to buy them from?

IN4007..i have 8 you can have :) yeah me!

as for the rest of the stuff..my old work...Terminal Supply in Troy has the rest

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Swaffar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FREE-SHIP-5-x-3W-LED-RGB-Chip-Changing-Full-Color-Lamp-Light-6-pin-350mA-D7-/290707195875?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43af7fc7e3

These LEDs are nice, but you would be a lot better off if you can find ones that are already soldered to a start chip like this one -

post-13490-142870575888_thumb.jpg

Otherwise there is a lot more work involved with buying the star pads and soldering them on.

i didn't even notice they were the same, minus the chip... this is becoming frustrating... i really want 5 rgb leds (high power but not cree... too powerful) plus two of those auto led strobes that chris has. my cab is small so those would be hidden, but light up the wall behind or under the cab. the wiz booster board looks great, but only supplies 16 outputs.

if i went with three rgb's that's 9 outputs, i could share the strobes and that's 10, leaving 6 for contactors or solenoids or whatever for feedback.... what do you guys recommend?

No problem jadflat. Dont hesitate to post any questions you have either on this thread or via PM to me.

'So if a plane left Seattle carrying 500 lbs of melons, and a train left Toronto (Canwegia) carrying 500lbs of beaver pelts and each was travelling 120mph, >>>>>how soon would the martians take over the earth?

i didn't even notice they were the same, minus the chip... this is becoming frustrating... i really want 5 rgb leds (high power but not cree... too powerful) plus two of those auto led strobes that chris has. my cab is small so those would be hidden, but light up the wall behind or under the cab. the wiz booster board looks great, but only supplies 16 outputs.

if i went with three rgb's that's 9 outputs, i could share the strobes and that's 10, leaving 6 for contactors or solenoids or whatever for feedback.... what do you guys recommend?

I'm using a Zebuon's booster board which gives 16 high power outputs and 16 low. I am going to use 1W/LED (3W RGB) LEDs. They seem quite bright enough.

The high power channels are going for replay knocker x 1, flipper solenoids x 2, other feedback solenoids x 6, RGB flipper buttons and ambient lighting x 3. large fan x1, strobex1

Sorry swaffar I missed your question...

I'm using a Zebuon's booster board which gives 16 high power outputs and 16 low. I am going to use 1W/LED (3W RGB) LEDs. They seem quite bright enough.

The high power channels are going for replay knocker x 1, flipper solenoids x 2, other feedback solenoids x 6, RGB flipper buttons and ambient lighting x 3. large fan x1, strobex1

Spektre's setup looks quite good. You shouldn't need to use the high powered boards for the contactors (would have to confirm with a amp meter but most are below the LEDwiz 500ma) so that would leave you some spare high power slots to play with. A replay knocker is pretty cheap and love what it adds to a cab personally, but when it comes down to 'what bling do I need?', it's up to the person. If your using solenoids, they may have to be connected to the booster board.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, so I thought that I would share a quick button mod that I`ve just finished.

Having a couple spare contactors and a mame cab with pinball buttons it was decided that this should get the contactors connected directly to the buttons.

I know that other ways to do this exist, but this seemed the easiest way to not have any delay between button press and flipper action.

The micro leaf micro switches from GGG are much narrower than normal ones and I had some spare so just bonded two together with a small piece of plastic across the arm, then fitted them to a GGG electric ice.

These particular buttons have screw fittings for the micro leaf so fitted perfectly once the other side was removed, anyway a picture speaks a thousand words...

post-17775-142870576095_thumb.jpg