Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

stuff erased/deleted from ftp

craiganderson

Hello,

My folder was erased/delated from the FTP. I know that sometime folders are accidentally dropped in neighboring folders so I looked around but was unable to find it. It might be in there somewhere....I don't know. Either way, it takes a long time to organize and upload things to the FTP so it is kind of disappointing that it is all gone. Not the end of the world or anything...but still a little disappointing.

And I know that I am not the first person who has lost their FTP stuff....

I request that download links be permitted to be placed in threads and that way we can avoid losing stuff on the ftp. Nobody can erase stuff from my mediafire/dropbox account.

just a thought

it would make life easier for everybody

thanks

craig

The links should be discussed among the mods. The main reason to ban links is stuff no being hosted on the community storage so when the creator vanishes and link stops working the material is gone for good. But I personally would be open to links as long as the material is in the downloads section and/or ftp as well.

The links should be discussed among the mods. The main reason to ban links is stuff no being hosted on the community storage so when the creator vanishes and link stops working the material is gone for good. But I personally would be open to links as long as the material is in the downloads section and/or ftp as well.

I prefer not having to upload to both the ftp and to a link site (mediafire etc) as my upload/download is capped each month (or I pay more).

I think I am going to avoid the ftp from now on (because I do not want to have to deal with things being erased accidentally) and just put download links on my personal page.

Of course I would rather just put them in posts/threads as well as is done on every other forum that I have ever been to ........ but of course only if permitted.

thanks

craig

Still vote for no delete perms on user folders.

I do not want to make this issue any more confusing. But if it is not possible to have both "permission to delete" folders AND "permission NOT to delete" folders all within the same main folder. Then perhaps a remedy could be to have two (2) tiers of folders on the FTP. Tier 1 folder, would be for gold members, and Tier 1 folder would have "permission to delete" folders. Tier 2 folder, would be for platinum members, and Tier 2 folder would have "permission NOT to delete" folders. It would make your folders more secure, an added benefit of being a platinum member.

Anyhow, all this non-sense wouldn't be needed if there can be both types of permissions within the same folder. Also, if people are more careful on the FTP, it wouldn't be an issue in the 1st place.

I'd like to commend the people who make backups and Craig for his hard work that he shares with the community here on hyperspin-fe.

Cheers,

KL

I personally suggested the permissions ideas already in a thread discussing this very point. To no avail unfortunately. I have no clue who is exactly running the ftp btw or if it's gonna remain in it's current state.

He is just lucky that he had some good stuff that made me want to download his folder =P

I know there's at least one person backing the ftp up for personal usage. If I had the bandwidth and storage space I would consider it as well :)

The FTP is always backed up on my rig. Been a few weeks thanks for reminding me.

Unlike other people I do not delete so if you rename a folder/file or you delete a folder/file my archive will have both which is kinda annoying but meh I have the bandwidth and the space.

In some cases I will manually go through a user folder that was pretty large and make sure that what I have is matching their current folder. THK is definitely an FTP user as his folder is the largest single folder on the server.

I also have no clue who is running the FTP server but a no delete option would be better for the user but pretty crappy for the admin as they would get all the delete requests and have to do it manually. Rain did have an idea before of putting a front end over the top of it but that may have been dropped as an option as well. This is a pretty large user base so does make it difficult. I do see screwup's by users on the FTP and I do correct them from time to time.

Anyone suggest a good non destructive FTP Mirror software?

THK is definitely an FTP user as his folder is the largest single folder on the server.

I should really go though this and clean house I suppose :)

I also have no clue who is running the FTP server but a no delete option would be better for the user but pretty crappy for the admin as they would get all the delete requests and have to do it manually.

This is a pretty large user base so does make it difficult. I do see screwups by users on the FTP and I do correct them from time to time.

My suggestion at the time was ppl being able to just have a folder with their account name with full rights and read only for everything outside it. But I have no clue how viable that option really is. My experience stops at setting up a static ip and filezilla home server a few times.

Permissions have been suggested before, problem is the current FTP Server software being used is very limited and don't support it.

Back then I suggested Rain using a proper one like Gene6 where setting up something like this would be very simple, but he told me it would be impossible to integrate with the current databases which I never understood why nor did he explain it to me. So in a nutshell I don't think a permission based system is going to happen.

Archived