Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Real DMD's In Pinball Cabs

H4CK3R

hmm no that flicker is timing issue or interference

make sure the pindmd 14way cable is not resting on a power cable and that its plugged in securely both ends. also what power supply are you using?

few other people use that display with the plasma firmware without problems so im hoping it is some thing i mentioned above.

also remove it from the bubble wrap the static on the ground plane/traces is probably not helping lol

try every thing i mentioned above if its still doing it give me a shout :)

hmm just flashed my pinDMD with plasma firmware and ran on my plasma display and its fine.

not sure what's causing that interference.

could you take a picture of your whole setup? psu/pindmd

lol just noticed ur about 40min from me (im stay in witney in the week) :)

hmm, it does not seam to be doing the flickering any more from what i can see? but you got some overrun which was a problem with the 0603led displays but never had it on a plasma lol.

try this firmware :)

www.pindmd.com/dmd128x32plasma.hex

works great on my plasma i cant see why its a bit funny on yours :/

don't worry to much if we cant fix it now, i can always pop over some time with my laptop and just play with the timings until we get it correct :) (it should work out of the box though!!)

Edited by russdx

• 3 weeks later...
no worries bud give me a shout when ur about :), have a see whats up :)

ill bring my DMD, psu, extra dmd cables, pinDMD start replacing bits until we see what's not working lol :)

Russ,

I'm now back from my trip to Scotland.

probably the best bet is if I bring my PC over to you, (as you are helping me out, only seems fair that i incur travel costs , not you).

its on a removable tray so its easy to move.

if you want to PM me your address and we'll arrange a night next week that is convenient for you.

thanks

Mike.

hey mikekim

i stay with my gf in the week (witney) so prob best if i just drive over to you if thats ok :) I can bring some spares, see if we can see what's up :)

ill bring the pinDMD2 as well be interesting to see what it looks like on a 128x32 plasma (only tested it on my 192x64)

there was nothing wrong with pinDMD1 but it was at its limits!

pinDMD2 can

run 16shades (prob more)

far darker shades

60+ fps

1click firmware upgrading

much sturdier usb connector

far more powerful micro-controller

just far better in every way :)

Edited by russdx

hey mikekim

i stay with my gf in the week (witney) so prob best if i just drive over to you if thats ok :) I can bring some spares, see if we can see what's up :)

ill bring the pinDMD2 as well be interesting to see what it looks like on a 128x32 plasma (only tested it on my 192x64)

there was nothing wrong with pinDMD1 but it was at its limits!

pinDMD2 can

run 16shades (prob more)

far darker shades

60+ fps

1click firmware upgrading

much sturdier usb connector

far more powerful micro-controller

just far better in every way :)

k no probs.

PM sent with my details

thanks

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
For everyone still looking for a DMD: mouser still has one of the awesome 12v plasmas in stock, the APD128G32A, but at a euro price of 370 euro (440 euro inc.tax, shipping, etc), its a bit pricey.

I ordered the other one they received last friday :proud:

Why should pixel or zeb make a powerboard for normal dmd;s?, why can't we use a rottendog power supply , or an original like the one below? Should still be a lot cheaper than the 440 euro (578 dollars!) the 12v display would cost me.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/520-5138-00

I looked at doing this many months ago. Your problem is still supplying the power this needs. If you look at the wiring diagram for one of the machines that uses these boards, you still need to feed is some odd voltages( 100v, 73v) etc as well as 12 and 5 (can't recall the exact voltages).

They take the core voltages from the transformer and spits out the required voltages for all the boards.

Again you need to read the circuit diagrams, the transformers put out a couple of voltages on each tap.

It's not as straight forward as buy one of these plug it into the wall and your set. If it was we would have done this months ago and all been using cheap plasma displays.