Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Handheld Hyperspin Build?

underthesky00

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that possibility. A lot of people put a Raspberry Pi inside an X-Arcade or iCade and use Emulation Station, PiPlay etc, and I've been considering doing the same, but HyperSpin on an Odroid would be much better!

Ooh, I hadn't thought of that possibility. A lot of people put a Raspberry Pi inside an X-Arcade or iCade and use Emulation Station, PiPlay etc, and I've been considering doing the same, but HyperSpin on an Odroid would be much better!

Heh, wouldn't that be awesome? :)

I have an HDHomerunprime too. Silicondust just announced a kickstarter for new DVR software that can record cable and OTA TV to an NAS box and play on android devices (as well as other platforms). I could conceivably cram all my media into one tiny little device!

I was thinking of buying a pi and doing that exact thing, but Hyperspin is so much better. :)

My old Xperia SP runs Nintendo DS, PSP and Dreamcast with Drastic, PPSSPP and Reicast respectively at 60 fps, we already have Dolphin for Android, I know this latter will take some time to run at decent speeds, but I assure that Android is an amazing and promising emulation environment.

Please, if you need testers with this, let me know, I rooted my phone and I have lots of emulators running fine on it.

Just curious, how does dolphin run on android? I see many people complaining about ppsspp performance on android, and x86/x64 ppsspp don't need too much power (some games run even on a pentium4) while dolphin requires an hi-end cpu and a decent videocard...

The app is only in the alpha state and my initial focus was on a PC-replacement for my mame arcade.   For this reason, I have been focused on features primarily and haven't had a chance to work on compatibility.   At the moment, the app only works with nvidia drivers (I've confirmed Shield portable, Nexus 9, Shield Tablet.... haven't tested others yet).    

This new streamer box is going inside my cabinet.   http://shield.nvidia.com/

The extra wireless controller will work well for those Android games that benefit.    

Once we get the app into beta state, we'll be seeking help from other coders on Mac support, linux support, additional Android compatibility, new features, etc.    License will not be open source.   We will be retaining it as a Hyperspin community project.

Just curious, how does dolphin run on android? I see many people complaining about ppsspp performance on android, and x86/x64 ppsspp don't need too much power (some games run even on a pentium4) while dolphin requires an hi-end cpu and a decent videocard...

Android is evolving _extremely fast_ with performance doubling each year.   So it depends entirely on your Android device.   PPSSPP and Dolphin are adding 64bit cpu optimizations and multi-threaded rendering OpenGL optimizations.   Early tests show all games work great in PPSSPP on latest/greatest Android hardware (i.e. not RPi) and many games are hitting smooth playable framerates in Dolphin as well.   Yabause (Saturn) is making great strides as well and performance is great.   Handheld gamecube games are imminent...exciting times...    

Yeah, this is indeed a problem, android-oriented cpu are really growing in terms of power while desktop's cpus seems stuck. A 4690k, clock per clock, is not that different from a 2500k (excluding new instruction sets). Skylake probably won't change the scenario. Producers say desktop is a declining market but honestly there's not a real necessity to upgrade when you are getting +10% every 2 years...

The app is only in the alpha state and my initial focus was on a PC-replacement for my mame arcade.   For this reason, I have been focused on features primarily and haven't had a chance to work on compatibility.   At the moment, the app only works with nvidia drivers (I've confirmed Shield portable, Nexus 9, Shield Tablet.... haven't tested others yet).    

This new streamer box is going inside my cabinet.   http://shield.nvidia.com/

The extra wireless controller will work well for those Android games that benefit.    

Once we get the app into beta state, we'll be seeking help from other coders on Mac support, linux support, additional Android compatibility, new features, etc.    License will not be open source.   We will be retaining it as a Hyperspin community project.

Amazing work... What an exciting turn of events for Hyperspin! I'm going to sit tight and watch development evolve. It would be AWESOME to be able to sideload Hyperspin into a Fire TV, or better yet, build it into an Odroid.

Much appreciation for all your efforts!

PPSSPP, Reicast (Dreamcast) Drastic (Nintendo DS) and all other retro consoles runs perfectly now, perhaps not Dreamcast in terms of stability, but if you have a good device there, you'll see how emulation on Android is getting solid.

In many cases, ppsspp ran games like Dragon Ball Z Shin Budokai Another Road without Any lag or problems with sound, but in Windows, the older versions I had some issues, now both environments have a great PSP emulator.

Xperia SP is an old device now, basically 2 years of existence, but it has HDMI output, good dual core CPU and a decent GPU, I played Metal Slug 7 for NDS in a 50" TV, and, that small NDS screen was running with a decent graphic filter at 60 fps.

Also, Android has some features and most emulators will have it that we lack in PCs, for example, Reicast, NDS and lots of new emulators now has Dropbox integration, this means that our save files are uploaded to our dropbox folder and we can continue that game in another device easily, not to mention that it grab our configs as well.

I played a little with Retroarch in my device, with that you have a heavy and stable emulation center, I played Sega 32X, Ps1, lots of consoles perfectly.

I have so much good experiences regarding emulation with Android environment, that I could create a topic with pictures of each console showing you all how good it is and tend to improve in a really short time.

I'm curious. Why would you want to replace your cab PC with an Android thing? What's the benefit in that?

These are MY reasons and they may not apply to everyone.  :-)

1.  I already have a PC-based cabinet with CRT but wanted to build another.

2.  Android is evolving into a great platform for emulation AND great arcade-style games

3.  I want to leave this cabinet on 24-7 and have it wake instantly when I have time for one game of Donkey Kong.  

4.  My electricity bill SUCKS so low power in this case matters to me.  I am using an LCD that sleeps too.   I have a separate switch for the lighting, etc.

5.  I have HDMI, USB, and power connectors in easy to access spot so I can disconnect and take it with me.

6.  Small size for mini bartop (someday).

7.  Can stream my PC games to it (but probably won't)

8.  Can stream GRID games to it (and probably will ... 

)

/shrug

This is fucking awesome, now i just need a shield, but sadly you can only buy the new one where the screen and controller is separated. would love to have a truely handheld device like the PSP vita with a good amount of controls to be able to play games like they should be played. I hate touchscreen controls in most games especially in emulators. 

• 2 weeks later...

What the...

I thought I was set up to receive notifications when new posts were made but I guess not! I just logged on to the forums for the first time since my last post and I noticed an Android section on the main forum page. Then I jumped to my thread here and found it was a few pages long. Huzzah! I'm PUMPED about this. I've already downloaded Hyperspin to my Shield Portable and I'm going to work on getting her set up tonight or tomorrow for some testing. Kudos to the team working on this! Every few days I think about how I can make a portable Hyperspin build and now I don't have to try and figure out something outside of the box. I was actually hopefully that the new Intel HDMI Stick would do the trick but I just pulled reviews on that yesterday and saw that it's apparently not living up to it's hype. But all that is irrelevant now that I can get Hyperspin on a device I already own and love. The Hyperspin community rocks!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am completely new to Hyperspin and would like to set this up on my Android TV.

Is there some tutorial on how to get this setup for the Android? I did see the page which contains all of the settings but I'm afraid it assumes a certain level of understanding. http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/8304-setup-hyperspin-for-android/

It contains many references but not practical steps.

I found many tutorials for the PC but none for the Android. Maybe a tutorial of setting up just one sample emulator/rom into Hyperspin for Android would be enough? Does anyone happen to have a link to an existing tutorial for Hyperspin on Android?

Thanks!

Chris

Archived