The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

My First Cab. 1-UP ARCADE

mameshane

Heres my cab. its called 1-UP ARCADE.

The cabinet is a slightly customised kit that i bought from www.arcadeworx.com.au. my x-arcade tankstick sits in the top.

These first couple images (see the bottom of the post, for some reason they appear down there instead of at the top) are of the renders troy from arcadeworx did up to show what the cabinet would look like.

i designed the mushroom cutout out in cad and emailed him the file.

Some pictures of the assembled cabinet. It was cutout with a cnc on prelaminated mdf with a high gloss black finish. (sorry for the bad quality, im finding it hard to get a decent image because of the reflective finish. Its put together with screw in dowels and cam locks. Its pretty solid. Im really happy with it. it did get a few small knocks on the way to me, but they are easily fixed.

post-62360-142870582663_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870582668_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870582671_thumb.jpg

Being prelaminated i had to paint the raw edges that are exposed, this was fairly easy as all the pieces still had a protective wrap on them.

I will be trying to take better quality photos as i go. If there is any particular part of the cabinet you would like to see a photo of let me know and i can take some more photos.

Just installed some 4inch fusion speakers that i picked up on boxing day sales for $19 :)

post-62360-14287058266_thumb.jpg

Im looking at getting this amp to power them.

Tomorrow i will be adding some auto grill mesh to the front mushroom cutout, so that i can attach the eyes and the circle. (you can see what it should look like in the render)

i got a cool RGB LED strip lighting with a remote control for christmas that im going to mount in the bottom and top of the cabinet to give a green glow through the cutouts. (to resemble a 1-UP mushroom) I have also ordered some galaxian bright green t-molding that should arrive any day now.

As for the pc, its an i5 processor, (cant remember the exact cpu speed off hand, but i know its around the 3500 or so. it has 8 gig ram, and a Geforce GTX 650ti OC Edition, 1.5tb hard drive for the moment, (im hand selecting games for the cd/dvd systems but most likely i will probably add another harddrive to it) I have two old logitech dual action gamepads that i use for newer systems. and the tankstick as the arcade controller.

will keep you updated as i do more, im hopeing to complete most of it before the end of my holidays.

update

added the t-molding and led strip lighting now. havent made a proper reflector in the marquee yet.

hopefully will be mounting the monitor tomorrow and relocating a button the tankstick to the top. then i can finally move the arcade pc to the cabinet and start using it, will have to keep using my desktop speakers for now as the amp i ordered hasnt turned up yet.

also i have plenty of spare t-molding to redo the tankstick molding. i have a few mods im going to do to the tankstick eventually to make it blend more into the cabinet.

enjoy the new photos (sorry for the camera phone quality) i will take better ones when its done.

post-62360-142870583221_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870582679_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870582683_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870583215_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870583217_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870583219_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just uploading some more photos of what was done today. (excuse all the finger prints, im going to give it a good clean and wipe once its done)

Added the mesh to the door on the front. i used some epoxy glue to glue the circle and eyes of the mushroom to the mesh. its stuck really well. but im sure the kids will find a way of detaching it.

post-62360-142870582958_thumb.jpg

also did some testing of the LED strip lighting. Just trying to work out the best location to mount it in the cabinet to get the best results. i put some foil paper at the back of cabinet to try and reflect some of the light (thats why its much brighter in the middle). havent decided on exactly how i will do this yet.

i also have ordered the amp for the speakers.

post-62360-142870582941_thumb.jpg

post-62360-142870582956_thumb.jpg

How did you get the great gloss finish?

Also to marks for getting your mrs to take the picture

the boards that were used had that finish on them already before they were cut. it's a black 2 PAC high gloss finish. as u can see in the pictures its going to be a pain to keep clean and finger print free (especially with kids.) but it will be worth i think. the person taking the photo is actually my dad (he has long hair)

I'm using a 6mm thick grey tinted security glass - works really great for my TFT display and I'm really happy with it. :)

It doesn't absorb to much light but enhances the contrast of the TFT a lot. Black = really black

I'd suggest to buy also one of these.

(my gray tinted security glass with polished edges and a size of 60x60cm was not cheap at all - about 90 EUR)

I'm using a 6mm thick grey tinted security glass - works really great for my TFT display and I'm really happy with it. :)

It doesn't absorb to much light but enhances the contrast of the TFT a lot. Black = really black

I'd suggest to buy also one of these.

(my gray tinted security glass with polished edges and a size of 60x60cm was not cheap at all - about 90 EUR)

just been down and got a sample piece looks amazing! thanks for that recommendation. i have ordered the piece 50x64cm grey tinted laminated (safety glass) with polished edges. for $80 AUD, pretty happy with that (i think thats about 63 euro)

First, I was a little bit afraid when I ordered it. Could not find any reports about grey tinted glass infront of TFT screens.

When it finally arrived and I tried it on my cab I was really happy with it. :)

B.t.w. nice cab ! :) -- What screen size do you use ?

thanks, its 19inch dell 4:3 ratio, i would have gone bigger but couldnt find a bigger 4:3 LCD at the time before getting it cut

i have plenty of room around the screen im thinking of doing some custom instruction cards to sit behind the glass. how to navigate hyperspin etc

Your design from arcadeworx is very similar to my big ass arcade cab. Almost unreal how our sides match, that company and I must have been thinking the same when it came to design, weird. Anyway, sweet cab, always nice to see these slim modern designed cabs pop up on here.

the boards that were used had that finish on them already before they were cut. it's a black 2 PAC high gloss finish. as u can see in the pictures its going to be a pain to keep clean and finger print free (especially with kids.) but it will be worth i think. the person taking the photo is actually my dad (he has long hair)

Wow they look great

And whoooops about your dad

Use a rubber mallet.. any of the sections the tmolding is loose just use strips of duct tape on the inner part of the tmolding to make it thicker. To go around tight curves/corners cut a small section of the inner part out.

t-molding has arrived!!! any tips for installing?

thanks, its 19inch dell 4:3 ratio, i would have gone bigger but couldnt find a bigger 4:3 LCD at the time before getting it cut

i have plenty of room around the screen im thinking of doing some custom instruction cards to sit behind the glass. how to navigate hyperspin etc

That - would - look - awesome.

Archived