Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Rango's Dirtball (or DirtPinball) - 46/32/DMD - Wide Body

antropus

Ha! I JUST posted this over the VPForums:

If someone else knows those numbers, feel free to post here. Once I have this info I'll send to them and ask how much would cost to make a batch of 10, for example.

-Kris

just posted reply at vp with the numbers your after :), im sure if you just gave the display datasheet to the transformer ppl they would understand it more then us hehe.

if they can do what we want (sounds like they can) get a quote and count me in for 1!!! :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in touch with them right now. I don't think they can make an all-in-one solution, since transformers are only AC and to get it converted to DC a power supply would be necessary anyway.

I think they can make a 80v/100v combo though, but the lower voltages would still have to come from the computer PSU.

-Kris

You want to keep the 5v separate anyway. If you look at any schematic for these high voltage boards, the 5v logic always comes from outside the circuit. You want the TTL logic signal and the 5v to be from the original source, keeps the signal clean and useable. The 12v is only used by one DMD manufacturer (Babcock) and it is for displaying the Babcock logo on boot up.

Not sure about the board you bought, but the majority of circuits I've seen manufacture the 12v in the high voltage circuit.

Thank you Zeb. Yeah, I'll get those lower voltages from the PSU. Safer as you said.

The progress was slower but steady this weekend. Got the mercury switches installed and they are working fairly nicely, but still need adjustment.

I installed the rest of the contactors, without the mod I'm planing to add (for metallic sounds). Fixed the coin door switch a little better, replaced all RGBs and all lights are now working 100%! I also had fun printing some stickers:

here's the shaker motor with the warning for moving parts sticker:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24894

Fake Williams "Rango" original sticker inside:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24895

All supervised by my 2 year old son Mathias:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24896

Some reproduction of the original ones (thanks Chriz for the idea and files!)

attachment.php?attachmentid=24897

Keeping the kids away:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24898

Fake Williams "Rango" original sticker on the back:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24899

All stickers on the back:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24900

Not a lot left other than installing the DMD and creating the artwork.

-Kris

post-10134-142870586027_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870586029_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870586032_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870586035_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870586037_thumb.jpg

post-10134-142870586038_thumb.jpg

post-10134-14287058604_thumb.jpg

evil eye, the files are available online. Some are part of chriz's thread, some I found using google search. I'll compile the whole collection (combined with the Williams logo retraced), save and upload the file so you guys can download it. I'll do this over the week. Zeb, thanks master! And thank you for the beautiful job with your boards. It looks so clean inside thanks in part to your clever solution ;)

Here's a crappy little video (vertical and short because my Iphone ran out of space... sorry :-/ )

Sound was left low so you can hear everything clicking.

Watch it in 1080p to compensate for the vertical aspect ratio:

As you can see, the colored light domes have little to no effect at all displaying the correct colors. You can see the same intense red and green passing by the purple and yellow domes without a problem :)

-Kris

ps.: the Bally logo is temporary :D

I'll be looking forward to that file then, thanks! Great vid btw! Your effective lighting dissipation despite being inside colored capsules is inspirational. I've been having thoughts of smoking/tinting mine so that they're not noticeable when the machine is off, but was worried it would affect light output. After seeing that vid I'm no longer worried. :)

No worries! About the light domes, the only color combo that I felt it got compromised was pure blue flashing under the yellow dome. It loses intensity and gets a little green colored (color theory explains why :D ). But you know, nothing too bad that will convince me to replace the domes! I'm sure you will be fine with the tinted domes. As long as the film is not too thick the light will propagate just fine ;)

-Kris

Thank you so much mikekim! You made so much progress on your build, learning new tools at same time and now you look very experienced, building some very complicated stuff! I love the materials and design of your build. Very innovative!

I'm kind of on the same boat, learning those new power tools, soldering, woodwork etc. I had some experience doing some small renovations around our house, but nothing like what I learned during this project.

I'm sure your finished one will look remarkable.

Keep going man. I can't wait to see it finished!!! :D

-Kris

For all of you interested, here's a compilation of files that can be used to print many different types of stickers to add that authentic feel to your build.

I'm not the author and all credit goes to the authors. I just made it easier for you to find everything in one place :)

I also added my own Williams logo re-trace as well. This logo matches 1 to 1 the speaker panel present in my Monster Bash.

http://www.antropus.com/rangopinball/antropus_stickers.zip

Softwares that can be used to open the files:

Adobe Photoshop (open most of them)

Adobe Illustrator

Adobe Acrobat Reader

Open Office

Or any other software compatible with PDF, AI, PNG. JPG, ODT or DOC files.

Cheers,

-Kris

You're very welcome!

Since I took the time to put this image together for another thread, I might as well share it here. This is how my coin door open/close is triggered. Only one click happens when the door swings open and only one click happens when the door swings closed:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24983&d=1363194764

-Kris

You're welcome! Yep, the speakers are way too deep to fit in the backbox. I had to de-case them and remove the speakers, which can be tricky because of the way the cables are constructed. I had to re-wire certain things. It's working great, but I would recommend getting shallower speakers or get car ones instead, since this is kind of the way it looks de-cased anyway :)

-Kris

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
I forgot to mention. To anyone interested in running a standard, real plasma DMD, I started a thread over the VPforums and we got that covered over there. I'm still waiting on the final parts, but "in theory" it shouldn't be a problem :)

Here's the link:

http://www.vpforums.org/index.php?showtopic=23249

And here the text extracted from my first post:-Kris

Thank you very much!!! :)

This are all the informations that I want to find on this weekend! :call2:

Now it has only taken a few minutes!!! Thank´s a million!!! :beer:

Archived