Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Selling setup with roms and tables, illegal, and stupid right?

wowter

I live in the Netherlands, and this dude

http://link.marktplaats.nl/672811463

is selling a Hyperpin branded cabinet WITH roms and tables. He also sells bartops with complete hyperspin setups including roms, and to top it off he is apparantly selling separate HDD's with complete hyperspin setups with roms/previews and all.

Stupid, illegal and endangering this hobby. I personally think he should go to jail,

What do you think?

dont know or the hyperpin logo is copyrighted for sell, but the games and roms are.

marktplaats has always banned illegal software (example the modded playstations) to make sure they stayed out of trouble.

i tipped the ad to the admins there to look at.

is selling a Hyperpin branded cabinet WITH roms and tables. He also sells bartops with complete hyperspin setups including roms, and to top it off he is apparantly selling separate HDD's with complete hyperspin setups with roms/previews and all.

Stupid, illegal and endangering this hobby. I personally think he should go to jail,

What do you think?

I think your understanding of copyright is insufficient to say who should "go to jail". Every time you click that little box that says you have a right to use that ROM, you are just as guilty of wrongdoing as the guy you are complaining about. I think its best for the hobby if we all just mind our own business.

I think your understanding of copyright is insufficient to say who should "go to jail". Every time you click that little box that says you have a right to use that ROM, you are just as guilty of wrongdoing as the guy you are complaining about. I think its best for the hobby if we all just mind our own business.

Okay, so jail was a bit much......... i was exaggerating! But how do you know how much i know about copyright law?

Admittedly my comments were a bit selfish. I personally think there is a big difference between for profit use of copyrighted materials, and home/hobby use. Copyright holders might not take action when confronted with not-for-profit infringement, but react strongly when confronted with for-profit use of their materials. The fallout of this could also mean the end of 'harmless' hobby use............

People sell their setups in MAME all the time with games included. It is a personal sale.. While frowned upon, it is not going to be the ruination of all mame-dom....

The same goes for this. HE is obviously not a business.. and not making a fortune selling his setup. I personally wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it is really not your place to be the pinball police ;)

People sell their setups in MAME all the time with games included. It is a personal sale.. While frowned upon, it is not going to be the ruination of all mame-dom....

The same goes for this. HE is obviously not a business.. and not making a fortune selling his setup. I personally wouldn't sweat it. Besides, it is really not your place to be the pinball police ;)

I'd have to agree, though straight out selling hdd's with HS on it should be reported (as they clearly price them much higher then their hardware value and thus make their profit off selling HS & roms, which is not allowed/illegal)

What do you think?

Lot of people dont care lot of people do im one that does care, because the likes of jp salas spend a long long time making a table, they then generously give it away to the likes of us, then some asshole thinks he can make a profit on something

someone else has made and given away free. so my argument is if all the table makers said fine im not making tables for the public as everyone has started selling them for profit,where does that leave all the enthusiasts who cant make quality tables . so the moral of the story is "it is going to be the ruination of all mame-dom..." you want to sell cabs sell them with your own software dont take everyone elses.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, so jail was a bit much......... i was exaggerating! But how do you know how much i know about copyright law?

Admittedly my comments were a bit selfish. I personally think there is a big difference between for profit use of copyrighted materials, and home/hobby use. Copyright holders might not take action when confronted with not-for-profit infringement, but react strongly when confronted with for-profit use of their materials. The fallout of this could also mean the end of 'harmless' hobby use............

You might think there is a big difference. Copyright law? Not so much.

In for a penny, in for a pound. If the guy is providing a value added service in the free market that others are willing to pay for...more power to him.

Why should whether someone else is making a profit on something determine whether you want to produce it or not. You have the option to be compensated for your work. If you choose to give it away, worrying about what someone else does with it is simply being a busybody.

everyone has a different opinion. It's tough because they are making a profit from hyperspin and from elsewhere but they also are not - hyperspin is freely available. emumovies are freely available. emulators and roms are aquired outside of hyperspin forums so their sale has nothing to do with hyperspin directly. If yarn was free I would still expect people to charge money for a sweater they made. You pay a mechanic to install parts on your car even though you could aquire them yourself to install and that takes nothing away from the parts manufacturers.

What they are profiting from is their own hard work making it setup and function. it is a MASSIVE amount of work to get a huge hyperspin setup actually functional, and something is to be said for that.

Does it bother me? not really... but it bothers the people responsible for making it all possible and that's all that counts, respecting their wishes.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, think how cool it would be if there was a small commercial licence you could purchase for Hyperpin / Hyperspin? Free for personal use, but for commercial (selling a cab) you pay a commercial fee (something small). The money would go back into the program helping to further the development.

With that said ... you would still probably need to exclude any of the themes as they are all copyrighted images ... it's a tricky area I suppose ...

Actually, think how cool it would be if there was a small commercial licence you could purchase for Hyperpin / Hyperspin? Free for personal use, but for commercial (selling a cab) you pay a commercial fee (something small). The money would go back into the program helping to further the development.

With that said ... you would still probably need to exclude any of the themes as they are all copyrighted images ... it's a tricky area I suppose ...

I like your idea, Kronic. but instead of "Shall Pay..." via the license. It could be "should donate..." via good faith.

currently I plan on selling my rig and donating a bit to the cause. those of you who are thinking of selling your setup might want to consider this option.

Sent from my ZOPO zp950

TBH I recently lost all my saved tables and data (daughter threw hard drive down the stairs)....I am in the process of having to ask people to give me links to download all the vids /themes/tables as I spent over a year doing it all individually and then lost it.....I am a paying member to emumovies and Underground Gamer,however if there was a site that offered everything as a full download I would pay no bother at all,some people though like the idea of starting from scratch and doing each table individually (like I did) but as stated I did loose it all and some people find it difficult to set it all up in the first place....

Well, we probably couldn't sell HS if we wanted to, consider all the copyrighted artwork HS contains. But the good faith donation or pay donate what you want policy could work. But it's all up to BBB.

Maybe the best thing to do is create an image of the hard drive upload it some where.

Sell the cabinet with a blank hard drive. Then the buyer downloads the image as a free download uses the cab as intended?

This way your just selling your hardware/time building it. Not all the roms/artwork/software.

a multi terabyte downloadable image for people who purchase the setup so they dont have to go through any effort to get it working probably defeats the purpose. Good thought, but many people buying just have slow connections.

Segmenting probably would work better... a hyperspin "pack" if you will, and we could even do it internally. If we could get permission to distribute from emulator developers I don't see why we don't have fully setup preconfigured hyperspin installs available on the ftp just sans artwork and games.

Selling your HS cabinet is like selling your modded console, I say whatever. It's the selling of hdd's with HS & roms for hundreds of dollars/euros that gets me angry.

a multi terabyte downloadable image for people who purchase the setup so they dont have to go through any effort to get it working probably defeats the purpose. Good thought, but many people buying just have slow connections.

Multi-Terabyte?!?!?!? Good Lord!!

;) I get your point, but if you have a multi-Terabyte Pinball setup.. We need to talk! I have almost every single VP Cabinet table (even the crappy ones) and a ton of FP Tables, and I clock in under 60 GB.

Now, with my internet connection, I could download that 60GB file from a reliable source server in a day easy.

Multi-Terabyte?!?!?!? Good Lord!!

;) I get your point, but if you have a multi-Terabyte Pinball setup.. We need to talk! I have almost every single VP Cabinet table (even the crappy ones) and a ton of FP Tables, and I clock in under 60 GB.

Now, with my internet connection, I could download that 60GB file from a reliable source server in a day easy.

the multi terabyte quote is properly more feasible on a HS setup rather than a HP one

Selling your HS cabinet is like selling your modded console, I say whatever. It's the selling of hdd's with HS & roms for hundreds of dollars/euros that gets me angry.

I understand that. That's why I'll be selling mine for the cost of hardware.

Sent from my ZOPO zp950

Archived