Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

The HyperSpin Project

djvj

5p48.png

----------------------------------------------------------

Project Goals

----------------------------------------------------------

Create complete minted sets for every single system that can be emulated, this includes databases, boxart, videos, wheels, themes (mostly for arcade systems) and media sets such as CD or carts.

Databases:

Databases will be expanded to include even more games, the biggest change is the inclusion of unlicensed games as well. The homebrew scene for a lot of the older systems produces a lot of quality games even these days in many cases better than many of the official games, so by not adding these we are missing a lot.

Every single database currently in HyperList has been reviewed and all the existing errors and missing games should now be fixed/added.

So, what games will be included in the databases?

(The info below won't apply to Arcade systems since the databases for them are based in their full romsets).

1. Commercial Games:

All commercial games released for each system with available dumps as long as they can be played by English speaking people.

For most sets this will be US games plus Euro exclusives plus Japanese (or other country) exclusives that don't require you to understand their native language to be playable.

2. Non-English Games:

As stated above they will be included if the game can be played without requiring you to fully understand the native language. Menus or the story doesn't need to be in english, as long as it's relatively easy to figure how to play the game. Big name exclusives might also be included in some systems regardless of the language barrier, there are some really great RPGs that were only released in Japan for some systems and no set would feel complete with them missing even if you'll never play them. These will be exceptions to the rule and the number of games under this condition will be minimal for each set.

3. Unlicensed, Homebrew, PD Games:

All unlicensed games that were commercially released in physical media will be included. Everything else is subject to a case by case analysis, this will basically depend on the system and the quality of the game. All these games will be tagged as (Unl) so that they can be easily spotted.

4. Direct Conversions:

We usually will not include these unless they were also commercially released in physical media. An example of these conversions would be the many Atari 8-bit games converted to run on the Atari 5200 machines.

5. Prototypes:

We do include them as long as they are complete or at least can be played from beginning to end without major bugs. They will be tagged as (Proto).

6. Clones:

We usually do not include these, except in special cases like when different region versions of the same game have noticeable differences such as different character sprites for example. An exception to this rule are the arcade systems where all clones are included.

7. English (fan) Translations of Games:

Translations will be included. If a Japanese only game has an English translation patch available we will then include it on our databases. Games will be tagged as (Translated En) so that it's clear that a translated rom is expected.

8. Pirate/Hacked Games:

We do not include any pirate or hacked games as a rule, except for some very unusual specific cases. In those cases they will be tagged as (Pirate) or (Hack).

9. Compilations:

Compilations will only be added if they contain at least one game that isn't available as a separate game in the database. If all games in a compilation are already in that same database as separate games then they won't be added.

Boxart:

For each system there will always be 2 sets of boxart: 2D version and 3D version.

2D version consists of the front cover of the game box.

3D version consists of a perspective view of the front cover of the box and usually the left spine, for horizontal boxes the top of the box might be shown instead.

We aim at only using original artwork, custom covers or spines will be avoided at all costs. For some systems it might be impossible to find scans for every single game (especially the spines), but we will be trying to find them until exhaustion.

Media:

Each game will also have an image with it's original media which can be a cart, disc, tape, etc. depending on the system. Again we will try to only use original artwork when possible, custom sets isn't what we are after unless there's no alternative.

Wheels:

1 Wheel per game using the logo from the original boxart or media. For systems without physical releases some other form of artwork must be used such as flyers, marquees or as last resort the title screen. No custom wheel sets will be allowed.

Themes:

Themes are mostly used by arcade systems for console systems we will use a default theme with the boxart and media instead. For arcade based systems we will aim at having one theme for each game where possible.

Videos:

There are still a lot of systems without videos so the project will also be covering this area. Videos will be done following Emumovies standards and will be made available at Emumovies as usual.

HyperPause:

We will try to gather as much HyperPause content as possible, and get everything properly named and ready to plug in. This will include manuals, walkthroughs, guides, etc.

Project Discussion:

Discussion will be limited to the HS Project section on these forums for Project Members eye's only. The community will have full access to view progress as it occurs on the designated sections. The new section can be found

Project Assets:

All assets will be stored on a private FTP, set up specifically for the project and only Project Members will have access to it. The exception to this can be videos, which can be uploaded to the emumovies FTP so Circo can batch process them.

Asset Delivery:

When a system is deemed complete, distribution of said assets will be available through HyperSync. Other distribution methods can be discussed at a later time (like the new FTP system).

Project Membership:

If you think you have what it takes and want to be a part of history, you can reply to this thread and and give examples of your work, preferably before and after. If you prefer to request in private, you can PM brolly or myself or anyone we deem Project Manager in the future. If you are accepted to be a member, we require an email address at least. We would prefer if you could also give phone number so that you can be reached in the off chance you disappear for an extended period of time. We like to know our family is ok. Your info will be kept private and not sold to any third parties. If you want to leave us your CC (we accept all kinds) or social security number, or are just seeking citizenship, please see me in private.

Closing:

This is a huge project and as such we can use all the help we can get, the more persons helping the faster this will get done.

Especially if you have good Photoshop skills you would be a great help to the project, but basically anyone can help in different areas. From creating wheels, themes or other artwork, to making videos or simply helping out with finding scans for covers, carts or cds on the web. All of these are ways of helping us and it would certainly make things move faster.

Even if you think you don't have anything to offer us, if you think you can dedicate some time to the project, please let us know on the forums or through a pm, as we are sure we can find tasks for just about everyone.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Didn't include any homebrews at all? Theres a lot of nice ones for the NES.....

They will almost never have any artwork to go with it. If we opened that door, it would never end. If there were any exceptional games where artwork was made for it, there could be an exception. This falls under the case-by-case basis.

Actually, quite a few Homebrews get a cartridge release, and they defiantly have artwork with them. Even if they don't get a cartridge release, quite a few still have artwork such as labels, and even instruction manuals, included with them. Not meaning to be argumentative, but it seemed like homebrews were being generalized as "crappy" for the NES.

Djvj I have started a very ambitious project to create 3D boxes psx, with real spines, lots of variety of different boxes, pal, ntsc, ntsc largue, japan, double box.

I have all the front covers PSX (PSX xml brolly) although I'm looking forward to updating the database psx, spins and I have over half, some are very hard to find.

I PM to you with the screenshots of my proyect, I warn you that you will leave with their mouths open, handling pretty good photoshop.

Didn't include any homebrews at all? Theres a lot of nice ones for the NES.....

I never said no homebrews at all, I said crappy homebrews were left out (and there are quite a few that fit into this category for NES or any other console), good ones were included of course just like was done for every other system.

If you have a list of homebrews you feel should be added please post it and I'll double check if they are all included.

I would like to help out with Hyperpause media, i recently put together some material for the Sega Master System which I uploaded to the Emumovies FTP, if people were happy with my work I would love to work on other systems.

Also, what would be the guidelines in terms of naming and folder structuring for HP media?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 4

I just want to pitch in my 2c here for a few comments in the main post.

I agree with the way it's setup but I think there should be a few exceptions to a few of the rules.

I for one would like hypersync to officially support a few nonstandard set packs for my picking pleasure and think others would enjoy them too.

A few specific examples come to mind:

Crylen's framed wheel pack:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?23868-Complete-Framed-Main-Menu-Wheel-Set&highlight=framed+wheel

sinclairzxspectrumn4pay.png

and

gibbawho;s unified theme pack once we have more systems for it:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?26433-New-Unified-Megatheme&highlight=unified+theme

pg0tQ0Z.jpg

Those 2 are outstanding and I think rise above the exception. It would be a shame to not include those options, just like Kooljeep style became a selectable I wanted to cast a vote towards these selections.

I'm willing to help out in anyway that is needed. Just started using photoshop last week for the first time to help put with the PSP Art Project so my skills aren' t the best but are improving.

Heres a link to the wheels I made yesterday: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?26866-Sony-PSP-Wheel-Art-thread&p=268100&viewfull=1#post268100

I just want to pitch in my 2c here for a few comments in the main post.

I agree with the way it's setup but I think there should be a few exceptions to a few of the rules.

I for one would like hypersync to officially support a few nonstandard set packs for my picking pleasure and think others would enjoy them too.

A few specific examples come to mind:

Crylen's framed wheel pack:

and

gibbawho;s unified theme pack once we have more systems for it:

Those 2 are outstanding and I think rise above the exception. It would be a shame to not include those options, just like Kooljeep style became a selectable I wanted to cast a vote towards these selections.

Funny enough, I'm already using those wheels, and check the gibbawho's thread on a daily basis. I think they're both amazing.

Archived