Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

The HyperSpin Project

djvj

As far as I know, leave a slot open for box art and if possible on for cart art (and set a placement & animation in HT). As I can recall there's no set artwork slot for either, so whatever works best.

Actually, didn't someone have to go back through most of the themes to fix that? Makes it easier for HyperSync to know which folder to auto download box/cart art to if I recall.

Edit: Either way, not a big deal since its pretty simple to swap folders for whatever they deem default.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Edit: Either way, not a big deal since its pretty simple to swap folders for whatever they deem default.

Yup, I prefer a good theme layout over the ease of HSync. Easy to fix, also, I think HSync is of much more value updating theme sets than box/cart sets. Mostly with box art sets, once u got em, you're set.

For people trying to get better at Photoshop I really recommend (...)

Tools > Pen Tool: Learn it, love it! It's the most essential tool to learn for making cuts/selections

Tools > Magic Wand: Only use this for (high res) images with a high contrast between the art and the background, preferably a solid background. If not, use the Pen-Tool! (it's the easy way out tool, but with more complex images you might end up spending more time refining the cut/edges than using the pen-tool)

Tools > Healing / Patch / Clone Stamp Tool: Very handy for cleaning away lines, text, all sorts of things from box art for example

Tools > Shape Tools: Don't underestimate the shape tools, with fill you can use them to build up clean shapes (I use them for vid border in stead of simple strokes that tend to pixilate on corners) or with/without a fill to make a selection (Layer window > Path tab > right click path > Make selection)

I think you forgot mentionning Quick Selection tool (on the same button as Magic Wand) which is THE tool to deep-etch image parts like a game title over a background. It's in since CS3 and is now better than ever. Check tutorials by googling "Quick selection tool Hairs tutorial" to see what I mean and how to deep-etch complex pictures.

matted, I can't really give you any tips about theme making other than pretty much what THK said. Leave one slot for the boxart (we will try to use standard boxart dimensions at 550px height for all sets) and another for the tapes. The rest of the theme I'll leave it for you, I'm sure you will do fine ;)

THK, thanks for that post I will add it to the project section as a sticky since there's a lot of good info there.

Djvj, should we also add a new forum for Hyperlaunch media

Yeah, there should be a section for this, I mentioned it to djvj when we were deciding on the forum structure. Guess he forgot about it. Media is for the actual game media only such as carts, tapes, discs, etc.

I think you forgot mentionning Quick Selection tool (on the same button as Magic Wand) which is THE tool to deep-etch image parts like a game title over a background. It's in since CS3 and is now better than ever. Check tutorials by googling "Quick selection tool Hairs tutorial" to see what I mean and how to deep-etch complex pictures.

Added

HK, thanks for that post I will add it to the project section as a sticky since there's a lot of good info there.

Thanks, this is the most effort I'm going to put into it, otherwise I might as well write an entire tutorial.

I put together the text walkthrough guides for N64 and Sega Dreamcast. I do intend to continue with new systems when I have some free time available. Currently I build the folders out of the current database available but it sounds like these are all being updated. Should I use what's available on HyperList currently or are these new databases already available? The next system I was going to tackle was NES but I could also use the N64 and Dreamcast updated databases to clean up what I've done so far.

My original thread on this can be found here.

I would like to join the project for 3d modelling, rendering and 2d cover "cleaning" :D

Some considerations:

hack/unlicensed/proto roms: Hmm... there are some GOOD unlicensed/pd games, you can name solar pier (MD), fast striker (DC), galaga deluxe (amiga) BUT do we really want to add something like "king of fighter '98" for megadrive or brazilian oddities? Sometimes the line between "new" game and "hack" is really thin as the same engine is re-used over and over.

Standards: For a HUGE project like this "standards" are mandatory. Basically we need a "target" resolution (480p, 720p, 1080p) and a "basic" workspace (in pixels) for boxarst. 3d boxes should share the same perspective over all systems.

Eye-candy: with a 100% "real" scans we'll have an issue with some systems. For example... megadrive's eu/jap/usa boxes were basically the same BUT for ps1 usa box is really different from jap's one. Jap's boxes were cd boxes while usa boxes were "custom" . On the same wheel you'll have usa "custom" boxes and jap "cd" boxes. Matching perspective will partially solve the issue from a graphical point of view but the perpective chosen for a USA ps1 box will not be the "best" you can have for a "cd" case. Cartrides can match boxes' perspective and size but, again, you will not have the "best" perspective and size.

Team members: a japanese (or someone who can read/write japanese) would be really useful with jap-only systems/games assets (scans and DB) :D The same goes for korea and brazil (lots of unlicensed games). Collectors with a scanner would be really useful too (in many cases a better re-scan is mandatory for a good boxart).

Ah... can we also make "official" HTPC-oriented themes? :P

hack/unlicensed/proto roms: Hmm... there are some GOOD unlicensed/pd games, you can name solar pier (MD), fast striker (DC), galaga deluxe (amiga) BUT do we really want to add something like "king of fighter '98" for megadrive or brazilian oddities? Sometimes the line between "new" game and "hack" is really thin as the same engine is re-used over and over.

If you check the first post you'll see all those are in separate sections for a reason. Pier Solar is an unlicensed game, Fast Striker is a homebrew game, KOF '98 is a pirate game so no something like KOF '98 won't be added to the dbs since pirate games aren't added. The line between new games and hacks isn't really that thin, it's usually pretty easy to distinguish a hack or pirate game.

Pirated or hacked games are only added under very special circumstances where that particular game is really something worth it which is usually never the case.

Standards for boxart is 550px high and whatever width it needs to be in order to respect the AR. For horizontal boxes should be the other way around. This was chosen since hi-resolution artwork is impossible to find for many systems, so working with a standard of 720p wouldn't be feasible. Still if the artwork is there we can perfectly do 1080p sets and then downscale them to 550p or any other resolutions. And yeah the idea is to use the same (or similar) perspective for most systems at least where possible, in some cases it might look better to have a top view for example like for FDS where the cases only have the spine at the top.

About eye-candy that might be an issue for some systems, PC based systems such as Amiga for example will be more problematic as you have dozens of different box types, but it is what it is and we aim for accuracy. Alternate versions of the covers can be done for those that are worried with this.

What do you mean with psx USA boxes btw? Pretty much all US games I have are in normal jewel cases the exception being the long boxes, but there aren't too many of them. Unless you meant the PAL boxes? Those are different indeed, but several japanese games also use these boxes they aren't all normal jewel cases. Then you also have the double cd cases.

Consider yourself added to the project, there is plenty to do in that area ;)

onilink55, pm me and I'll send you the NES db.

I think I will need a larger inbox lol

Wrap this around your head, you will never be done so don't try fooling yourself.

I think soon enough Game & Watch will need some love too eheh

Couldn't agree more with both statements here. I'm grinning ear to ear reading this. I'm in to help, PM coming your way brolly.

Also, thanks for the PS post THK, I need to hone my skills to the next level. Especially with that pen tool. I suck so badly at it right now.

I just want to pitch in my 2c here for a few comments in the main post.

I agree with the way it's setup but I think there should be a few exceptions to a few of the rules.

I for one would like hypersync to officially support a few nonstandard set packs for my picking pleasure and think others would enjoy them too.

A few specific examples come to mind:

Crylen's framed wheel pack:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?23868-Complete-Framed-Main-Menu-Wheel-Set&highlight=framed+wheel

sinclairzxspectrumn4pay.png

and

gibbawho;s unified theme pack once we have more systems for it:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?26433-New-Unified-Megatheme&highlight=unified+theme

pg0tQ0Z.jpg

Those 2 are outstanding and I think rise above the exception. It would be a shame to not include those options, just like Kooljeep style became a selectable I wanted to cast a vote towards these selections.

I second this. Specially Gibbawho's themes, they are fantastic. Maybe get in touch with him and see if he would like to join the project?

Djvj, should we also add a new forum for Hyperlaunch media, or should all that media just go under media. Currently media looks for carts and cd's and cassettes. Having a Hyperlaunch folder would make things a lot clearer.

Added!

IMPORTANT:

Those of you that are going to work in the HyperPause media please create a topic per system in the appropriate forum section:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?176-HyperLaunch

You should have permissions by now if not let me or djvj know.

There is a lot of different media types for this so I think it's better that the person that's managing that project creates the first post so he will have full control over it and edit it as needed. This applies ONLY to the HyperPause/HyperLaunch media, we will be creating/moving threads in the other sections as needed.

On another note:

Does anyone own any Saturn or Sega CD US games? We could use some good high resolution scans of the boxes.

IMPORTANT:

Those of you that are going to work in the HyperPause media please create a topic per system in the appropriate forum section:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?176-HyperLaunch

You should have permissions by now if not let me or djvj know.

There is a lot of different media types for this so I think it's better that the person that's managing that project creates the first post so he will have full control over it and edit it as needed. This applies ONLY to the HyperPause/HyperLaunch media, we will be creating/moving threads in the other sections as needed.

Edit: The initial suggestion has changed. This is more or less a template for the HyperLaunch Media post.

If someone wants to be in charge of one of the systems, there should be a thread named:

[HL] SystemName

In the first post of this thread, you should add a wip list of all media related with this system. As HyperLaunch\HyperPause Media has a lot of different assets, I believe it is important to point links to different posts that talks about them in more detail. These posts could be located inside of the same thread in order to maintain most things together.

The one in charge for the system should be responsible to update the first post with help calls, contents list or whatever it feels necessary to acquire the most possible number of assets for HyperPause.

Bellow you will find a example with example contents for mame.

[HL] MAME

[u][b]HYPERLAUNCH MEDIA[/b][/u]

[b]IMPORTANT MESSAGE:[/b]

[indent]Call for Help: Call for help on acquiring gamefaqs txt files![/indent]

[u][b]LIST OF HYPERLAUNCH MEDIA ASSETS:[/b][/u]

[list=1]
[*][b]Artwork[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Marquees, control Panel,...[/b]

[indent]Current Status: .148 set (need to update to .149 set)
Relevant links: Emumovies ftp[/indent]

[/list]

[*][b]Backgrounds[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Game Backgrounds for HyperPause and Multigame[/b]

[indent]Current Status:3923 files following .148 set (need to update to .149 set)

[/list]

[*][b]Bezels[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Default Bezel Image[/b]

[indent]Current Status: Horizontal and Vertical default bezels.
Relevant links: HyperLaunch install files[/indent]

[*][b]Extra User created Bezels[/b]

[indent]Current Status:
Relevant links:[/indent]

[*][b]Instruction Cards[/b]

[indent]Current Status: 1 game (sf2)

[/list]

[*][b]Fade[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Default Fade[/b]

[indent]Current Status: Done

[/list]

[*][b]Guides[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Gamefaq txt Guides[/b]

[indent]Current Status: 1 game (tmnt)

[/list]

[*][b]Manuals[/b]
[list]
[*][b]PDF Manuals[/b]

[indent]Current Status: 1597 manuals

[/list]

[*][b]Moves List[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Moves List Icons[/b]

[indent]Current Status: none

[*][b]Moves List dat file[/b]

[indent]Current Status: 

[/list]

[*][b]Music[/b]
[list]
[*][b]MP3 soundtracks[/b]

[indent]Current Status:

[/list]

[*][b]Videos[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Game commercials[/b]

[indent]Current Status:

[/list]

[*][b]Game Info[/b]
[list]
[*][b]Game Info dat file[/b]

[indent]Current Status: need game name revision

[/list]
[/list]

bleasby, I was thinking on a single thread per system only and use the first post showing the status for each of the media types otherwise I can see that section getting really flooded and will be pretty hard to find anything in there. For 10 systems you could have 100 threads, even though not all systems will have all of those of course.

People should work on this together, for each HP/HL media project there should be someone coordinating it (the one that creates the post) and keep it up to date.

ok, i will edit my post them with a template of what should have.

Edit 1:

I just edited the previous post giving more or less a base guideline of contents. See if you have any suggestion on that.

As the content is much more wider to HyperLaunch media, I believe it is important to someone be in charge of double checking the media available for each system and adding a list of links to forum posts relevant to the subject.

ive already started c64 , cpc , zx spectrum , Atari st , and mfme fruit machine emulators . hopefully with permission I should be able to get the lists of what's needed for each system, obviously the first 4 databases are quite large so plenty of help is appreciated.

IMPORTANT:

Does anyone own any Saturn or Sega CD US games? We could use some good high resolution scans of the boxes.

I own Vay and Lunar 1 for sega cd. I also have a few sega saturn games but i cant remember what. I can dig them out. I also have a bunch of other random game and system boxes from other systems. A few genesis and master system. A ton of odyssey 2 boxes. Atari stuff. even game boy advance. Probably more i would just have to look at what i have stashed away. would any of this help?

For anyone else. I am able to use photoshop and am willing to try and help anyone who needs it. I am by no means an expert but i may be able to lend a hand. Just let me know.

Also I thought of this from the simpsons when i read the first post. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBaBDcbuZQo&feature=player_detailpage#t=112

Archived