Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

The HyperSpin Project

djvj

Hi guys,

I have a pretty decent video game collection ranging in about 62 unique consoles. I should have at least one game for each said console. My friend has a high res scanner so if you guys need scans of stuff let me know. I'll post a list of what i have but if you want to just list some consoles i can see if i have them.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi guys,

I have a pretty decent video game collection ranging in about 62 unique consoles. I should have at least one game for each said console. My friend has a high res scanner so if you guys need scans of stuff let me know. I'll post a list of what i have but if you want to just list some consoles i can see if i have them.

Do you have an Adventurevision?

potatoguy, if you can scan the front and left spine of the saturn and sega cd boxes that would be great. I mean the actual jewel cases with the inserts inside and without inserts, choose the best condition ones doesn't matter which game we are interested in the actual case only so we can do proper 3D templates. 600dpi would be nice.

Also scans for the ody2 carts you might have would help as well as GBA carts and box spines.

If you know your way around PS and want to help cleaning up images your help would be appreciated.

nuker, if you have boxed games for those consoles I can see quite a few there that would interest us such as Coleco Adam or TI-99/4A or even some AES cart scans.

If you check the first post you'll see all those are in separate sections for a reason. Pier Solar is an unlicensed game, Fast Striker is a homebrew game, KOF '98 is a pirate game so no something like KOF '98 won't be added to the dbs since pirate games aren't added. The line between new games and hacks isn't really that thin, it's usually pretty easy to distinguish a hack or pirate game.

Pirated or hacked games are only added under very special circumstances where that particular game is really something worth it which is usually never the case.

Ah, ok, it is just a different way of considering hombrew/pirate/hacks :P Fast striker and pier solar for example to me can be considered more "indie" than "homebrew" as they got commercial release :D

Standards for boxart is 550px high and whatever width it needs to be in order to respect the AR. For horizontal boxes should be the other way around. This was chosen since hi-resolution artwork is impossible to find for many systems, so working with a standard of 720p wouldn't be feasible. Still if the artwork is there we can perfectly do 1080p sets and then downscale them to 550p or any other resolutions. And yeah the idea is to use the same (or similar) perspective for most systems at least where possible, in some cases it might look better to have a top view for example like for FDS where the cases only have the spine at the top.

550px high is almost decent as artwork or wheel even ay 1080p and good enough for 720p. My 720p sets are 619px high, and my mame flyer project is 563px (designed for a 1080p "wheel" usage). So we can say we'll have a "720p" boxart sets and 1080p "wheel" artworks :P

About eye-candy that might be an issue for some systems, PC based systems such as Amiga for example will be more problematic as you have dozens of different box types, but it is what it is and we aim for accuracy. Alternate versions of the covers can be done for those that are worried with this.

What do you mean with psx USA boxes btw? Pretty much all US games I have are in normal jewel cases the exception being the long boxes, but there aren't too many of them. Unless you meant the PAL boxes? Those are different indeed, but several japanese games also use these boxes they aren't all normal jewel cases. Then you also have the double cd cases.

Ps1 games does use "tall" jewel case (usa), cd jewel cases (jap) and double cd case (jap & eu.... usa too?) Amiga will be a mess... but think to c64... jewel cassette case (with at last 2 shape, probably more) and cardoard boxes :D

Not sure when i'll get a legit scan but i busted out a tape measure and measured my lunar box. I'm still digging for the Saturn stuff. I feel like the case is the same or super close.

These are plastic edge to plastic edge. Sorry for poor quality on pics. I'll find the Saturn box and report back in.

Measurements are in Inches. Non fractions obtained from google:

Front 8 7/32 (8.21875) Tall 5 3/4 (5.75) Wide

Spine 8 7/32 (8.21875) Tall 29/32 (0.90625) Wide

Measurements in Centimeters (Conversions from Inches to Centimeters done in google:

Front 20.8756 Tall 14.605 Wide

Spine 20.8756 Tall 2.30187 Wide

http://i.imgur.com/Ysmsj8u.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BZ0kfvz.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/oxbPIk4.jpg

Pictures displayed huge in the thread. Click link to view.

EDIT FOR SATURN: its the exact same box. I measured my copy of Sonic 3d Blast. They both stack up the same when put together.

Yeah that's true, but I didn't really made a difference between indie or homebrew as a lot of homebrew stuff got commercially released through sites like atari age and such. Games like fast striker are a bit different though I agree, but between these is where I think the line can be thin sometimes.

Nice that you are ok with the artwork dimensions ;)

Only a small amount of PS1 games use long boxes in USA (and a few of those actually had regular jewel case releases too) for the most part it's simply regular jewel cases. PAL are the ones that will be different as they are thicker than a normal jewel case (many jap games also use these) and yeah then there are double cd case for games like FF and this applies to all regions.

Basically all PC systems will have problems with boxart dimensions, you're right C64 will probably be even worse since it uses 3 different media types : carts, disks and tapes.

potatoguy, thanks for the dimensions no need for pictures btw what we really need are quality scans so we can use them to create the templates.

How exactly do I read what you just posted? What's 29/32? It's confusing enough to deal with cm to inches conversions every time, but I'm not sure how to read that.

I think i have a saturn game laying around somewhere i can try and scan.. just did a neo geo aes game.. hope it came out ok. I suck at photoshop so i cant really fix them up but hopefully they work.

i'm having trouble uploading images using the forums.. not sure why...i see them upload but they dont show up in my post

i put them on dropbox too big for imgur

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5hxbr98ai5c5vjq/uoqB-6W9im

EDIT : ok in the process of uploading scans to dropbox.. if there's 2 of the same thing ie. neo geo spine and neo geo spine 2 one of them might be fixed up and one might be original scan

They are great thanks (actually we don't really need them that large ;)), but the AES front and Saturn front&back covers aren't showing for me seems like something went wrong with the upload.

For the ADAM game can you take the inlay out and scan only the inlay? And scan the front and spine of one Saturn/Sega CD box without any inserts inside it (jewel case only)?

How many AES and Adam games do you own? Would be a lot of help if you could scan the inserts and carts of any games you have for those systems. Also do you have any other AES case types?

I see that now, but who on his perfect mind would say something as 29/32? I thought that would be it, but also thought it would be too strange to be true lol How do you even spell that? You say 29 bar 32 or what? US metrics are insane...

We would just say 1.9 centimeters.

this initiative is great!

guys, to widen up the content delivered in HS default XML is wonderful, and once again shows how much the proper DB manipulating tools are for the user.

kudos to emb and xttx as well!

One request:

Please also allow/include other translations than English.

I understand in terms of completeness factor, this is a harsh request, but in terms of "user based decision making in creating personalized gamelists", this would be awesome!

It also would be nice, if any workflow you plan for the future "can" allow hacked/pirated games, though not "officially" supported from your end.

I am working heavily (within my limited resources/time/professional knowledge) to aid the process of "creating personalized HS XML DBs"; end 2 end.

Right now I am thinking of a custom application which functions as an XML parser/merge tool, that can be fed to emb's don's list generator... still a long road to go.

Thanks once again for your initiative!

kind regards

Alex

Made some modifications to the PHP and DB queries to the forum adding a Rank Order ability. By default vB has no ability to control order of the badges (ranks) under your username and is controlled strictly by usergroup ID. Being the new Project usergroups were added last, this caused the new badges I added to be displayed above the platinum badge. With the above code changes, I have full control on order of all badges added now and in the future.

For now, I added the HyperLaunch icon as the badge, but it doesn't quite apply as the project badge. Does someone want to take a stab at a new badge? We need 2, one for member, another for admin.

Gameboy and Gameboy Color now sorted into a nice order. Have noticed some naming of art and wheel files don't 100% match from Hypersync DB download to the new DB XML's I have manually sorted through the lists and compared them and found that the Brolly supplied XML has the full name and the Video, Art and Wheel files have the full name with (Rev A) at the end. Will this cause issues? Should the XML be changed to match what already exists or the files from Hypersync DB?

392 pieces of existing art ready to turn into wheels. Should be fun. :) Finding the missing art may be harder.

Anyone have a copy of 2nd Space for Gameboy? Bugs me that the first game in the list I can't find.

Polemicist, it's the assets that need to be renamed to match the XML, not the other way around.

Second Space is a Sachen game so yeah you'll have trouble finding boxes for those, worst case scenario stupus might be able to provide us the Mega Duck box version scans and we can come up with something based on that. Definitely don't use title screens.

Dirilu, we also have 2 other members doing C64 videos already so you might want to organize this with them so you guys don't end up doing the same videos (hargcore and bbneo).

Rodent, adding non-english translations kinda breaks the point of the whole english games only guidelines that we have been following so I don't see that happening at this point. I'd be much more into adding non-english playable exclusive games than that for example. You can simply replace your rom with your language translation and leave the db as it is.

I'm totally against adding hacks and pirates to dbs, I hate those games they are usually crap and don't want them polluting dbs. Except very special situations those won't be added, I might consider doing a FamiClone db at some point with all the FC pirate crap, but it will always go into a different system.

The assets are already in Hypersync as I have a fresh install of Hyperspin. Will pass on details when I've double checked everything and completed my GBC audit.

DJVJ mentioned Title Screen art above as last resort. :) I can actually hand craft a title for it based on the Title Screen but again DJVJ mentioned this as a definite no no. You may be stuck with Title Screen art used for wheel art for some of these very rare boxes. I think it'll still look pretty good and to be honest it's Gameboy so people are used to seeing the very chunky 8bit titles :)

Archived