Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Scale Gameboy arcade

jahilton2002

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Gameboy VGA struggle

As some of the Gameboy project followers are aware. One of our main concerns was how to output the Gameboy’s screen to a VGA monitor. This has given us a major headache, as we simply having no idea (at all) how to do this.

We searched the internet hi and low and found nothing but “dead-end” projects. We finally stumbled across this gem of a site;

post-23730-142870614993_thumb.png

http://www.fpgaarcade.com/

The owner of the site (AKA Mike), is in the progress of developing and manufacturing a FPGA board designed specifically for the gaming/Arcade community. The “Replay” board...............CLICK TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE

The Gameboy VGA struggle

As some of the Gameboy project followers are aware. One of our main concerns was how to output the Gameboy’s screen to a VGA monitor. This has given us a major headache, as we simply having no idea (at all) how to do this.

We searched the internet hi and low and found nothing but “dead-end” projects. We finally stumbled across this gem of a site;

[ATTACH=CONFIG]36449[/ATTACH]

The owner of the site (AKA Mike), is in the progress of developing and manufacturing a FPGA board designed specifically for the gaming/Arcade community. The “Replay” board...............CLICK TO READ THE FULL ARTICLE

I love this project mate you the man, it's looking awesome :)

I clicked. I liked. Very nice find. And yeah I have no idea why that little device hasn't been noticed more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Gameboy Hacks have started

As mentioned before. Mike over at www.fpgaarcade.com is helping us make our Gameboy project a reality.

He sent use a picture today that got our attention!

here’s what he had to say;

I’ve attached the victim to a Replay board and captured the video signal.

The picture below is a bit fuzzy, but I had to add small resistors to protect the FPGA from the 5V signals.

The next step is probably to remove the gameboy crystal and send a clock over from the Replay PLL. This will allow me to lock the VGA and the gameboy video together to avoid any tearing.

GameboyHack_zps22c9830b.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, we haven't abandoned this project.

You wouldn't believe the number of emails and msgs we get on this thing from all over the world.....Lots of eyes are watching this build, so we want to get it right.

The main reason we haven't progressed much on this build is because of the video output issue.

This project is now our only project at the moment.... Hopefully 2015 will be a good year :)

..................... oh and i think a door just opened for us ;)

Archived