Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

46" / 30" / 19" widebody cabinet

chriz99

like a real pinball, the industry relay/solenoid emulates the flipper when you press the flipper button. you can hear and feel it. check out the vid I have posted...

Gottcha, does VP or vpmame send signals to the pc when bumpers, sling shots etc are activated?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

there is no interface to connect solenoids for slingshots, bumpers or freeplay-knockers yet.

I use a really big subwoofer to emulate bumpers, slingshots... you will get nice force-feedback with that big subwoofer.

another idea is to install a body-shaker (connected to soundsystem/bass).

Hey Chris. Super nice cab you have there. I have the itch to create a cab but i'm holding off for now. I have a mame cab that I built and that is a fun toy for now.

Have you looked at any of the 3D monitors that are supposed to be coming out? From what I hear, we will have 3D monitors that do not require 3d glasses soon.

I guess I am waiting for a full 3D pinball sim that supports pinmame and has good pinball physics. If we had that and head tracking like you can view here

we would have a awesome pinball sim.

So far the closest we have is future pinball but wtih no pinmame support and sub par physics it really isnt that good of an option "YET"

I highly suggest that anyone interested in creating a virtual pinball cab watches this video since this would make a HUGE difference in the experience. I'm pretty sure that the virtual pinball cabs of the future will use this technology.

(The video is less than 5 min long, make sure you watch the whole thing)

Again, great job Chris. So far this is the best cab that I have seen. I hope people take what they have learned from your build and improve on it from this point forward. I think that with today's software and screen technology you can't really do much more than what you did. On the other hand, I'm pretty confident that we will soon have technology that allows for a much better virtual pinball experience. It's just a matter of time but the question is how much time. I would really like a virtual pinball cab and projects like yours almost make me give in and do it now.

I have to say, after watching the above youtube video yet again, I wonder if we even need a 3D monitor. The headtracking alone makes the 3d objects look like they are poppin off of the screen!

The first thought that comes to mind when I saw your cab was why can't one of these commercial companies make a virtual pinball cab that is half as nice as this! Your pin puts the Global VR Ultra pin to shame!

Geesh!

James

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Chris,

I have a question about your siderails. I went the same route you did with the cutting down the outside of the cabinet to have maximum screen space, so I've been thinking about how to make the siderails removable (since they're normally double-sided taped on). It looks like you bolted yours in 4 spots - is that right? Or are the pictures decieving? Did you have to add the holes to the rails yourself? Or did you find some that came that way?

Thanks,

E

Hey Chris,

It looks like you bolted yours in 4 spots - is that right? Or are the pictures decieving? Did you have to add the holes to the rails yourself?

Thanks,

E

that is right. siderails are srewable. I drilled 4 holes in it.

Where did you order your older style side rails from? I've only found one place so far - and theirs are drilled for nail holes (according to the picture). Arg.

Edit: Of course, right after I ask, then I find some. Nevermind.

Where did u find them?

James, thanks for your kind words. 3D or headtracking would be awesome! lets see what the future brings.

lettuce, check ebay for second hand 30" tv's with dvi/hdmi... calculate with 150-300 bucks.

Hello Chriz,

You did a great job, very nice. I am planning to do the same. I have the empty Road Show cabinet and in the progress of gathering parts for the project. You use the 46" 16:9 lcd sharp fullhd 1080p screen. Can you tell me the model of the Sharp 46" lcd? I was looking at the Sharp PN-465U for the playfield and the Westinghouse 30" LTV-30w2 for the back box. Any suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

Sharp PN-465U

http://media.shoreviewdistribution.com/pdf/PN-465U.pdf

Westinghouse 30" LTV-30w2

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=16

Hello Chriz,

You did a great job, very nice. I am planning to do the same. I have the empty Road Show cabinet and in the progress of gathering parts for the project. You use the 46" 16:9 lcd sharp fullhd 1080p screen. Can you tell me the model of the Sharp 46" lcd? I was looking at the Sharp PN-465U for the playfield and the Westinghouse 30" LTV-30w2 for the back box. Any suggesting will be greatly appreciated.

Sharp PN-465U

http://media.shoreviewdistribution.com/pdf/PN-465U.pdf

Westinghouse 30" LTV-30w2

http://www.westinghousedigital.com/details.aspx?itemnum=16

thanks dude!

I am using a Sharp LC46D65E fullhd 1080p screen. for the backbox a noname 30" 720p tv with dvi-connector.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Chris,

I'm still going back and forth on if I'm going to build a pin cab. If I am going to build one, I will prob copy your build for the most part as I really like it.

I have a couple questions:

1: with the 46' playfield, how close is the size of the pinball objects compare to a real pinball machine? Are the balls and flippers larger than what is in a real cab or about the same? I really want to use a screen size that will give me realistic sizes.

2. If you were to start all over again, what if anything would you do differently?

Thanks Chris!

Hi again Chris,

I'm still going back and forth on if I'm going to build a pin cab. If I am going to build one, I will prob copy your build for the most part as I really like it.

I have a couple questions:

1: with the 46' playfield, how close is the size of the pinball objects compare to a real pinball machine? Are the balls and flippers larger than what is in a real cab or about the same? I really want to use a screen size that will give me realistic sizes.

2. If you were to start all over again, what if anything would you do differently?

Thanks Chris!

I am absolutely satisfied with this project and I would do exactly the same again and again. the virtual pinball has almost the same size as a real machine and with a 46" screen in an original widebody cabinet you will see no bezel, so it looks very authentic.

here are some pics for you...

P1030400%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030382%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030385%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030404%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030394%20%28Large%29.JPGP1030472%20%28Large%29.JPG

Cris I read your post and I am sorry if I missed it, but could you please inform me where you picked up the flipper buttons and leaf switches.

Thank you,

Taz

This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. I've been waiting for GroovyGameGear.com to release their Classix buttons with the leave adapters, but they seem to be dragging their feet with them. :(

I just checked Groovygamegear.com and the new buttons have been released. I just ordered 4 Electric ICE 2™ Lightable Horizontal Pushbutton with True-Leaf switches and RGB-Drive w/ 24" 4-conductor cable.

Archived