Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Is HyperSpin still being developed?

FuZZyTroll

I just today discovered this program. I have been working to figure out how to set it up with Retroarch and have been having difficulties. so I thought I would search there forums only to discover that there hasn't been any news or information from the devs sense May of 2016. before I consider paying money for a full membership I need to know 2 things

1. Is it still being developed

2. Detailed information on how to get it working with retroarch

Any info and help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

(p.s. on a side note I REALLY need to find a n easy tool that will rename all my roms so that they can match all the fancy graphics that all these frontends use from EmuMovies something with a UI)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hyperspin is basically you get what you see at this point. If there is any development happening it would be on the fabled hyperspin 2.0 which I wouldn't buy a membership for on the basis of expecting it to suddenly release. 

Hyperspin works with retroarch no problems through rocket launcher, and you can find a variety of programs in the download section for renaming. 

Search for ninja2bceen's tutorials as well as Avars tutorial for getting hyperspin and rocketlauncher up and running. 

You can get by without a full membership of hyperspin,  though you will likely need a emu movies membership for media. 

I feel your pain but no it’s still being developed! I’ve actually been testing some features! When the time comes, I’ll be releasing video tutorials, news etc but until then I’m sworn to secrecy though! The dev all have families, there is a lot of requests in the backlog and the devs I regularly talk to. It’s very much not abandoned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/18/2019 at 6:41 AM, FuZZyTroll said:

so I thought I would search there forums only to discover that there hasn't been any news or information from the devs sense May of 2016.

FYI we had a maintenance build released in 2018 to fix a windows issue and also add the ability for animated wheel artwork.

• 1 month later...

Ha you can think that, I and others are beta testing. It takes time but I assure you it’s a real thing. Launchbox is good for some, if you like a cookie cutter and lack of theme support it’s perfect. I get it. I only wish Jason would truly have updates to the core. The updates in the last 8 months at the very least have really been nothing. I’m a lifetime supporter there. I watch the updates and get them but for me there is literally 0 incentive for me to move to launchbox. I would actually lose some features that I love. Think what you want but launchbox isn’t that great.... yet anyhow I hope I’m wrong someday but today isn’t that day

It might be a real thing, but yeah after ...gosh I've literally lost count of how many years it's been (4, 5?) and the woeful lack of anything resembling an update it may as well be mythical.

Besides I use launchbox with Rocketlauncher so I could switch back to hyperspin in an instant anyway. 

I'm curious... without Rocketlauncher, what features does current hyperspin have besides the theme manager which admittedly I love (though even THAT needs a workaround just to get 16:9 support) would you lose?

Sounds like you are asking what I would lose if I were to switch to launchbox? Without batting an eye it would be the 1000s of game themes. I know launchbox guys are recording a handful of them but it has a long way to go to get them all. This is the single biggest miss for me. Another very quick miss is lack of swf support. That’s basically animated wheels and within themes. I get that if you make a video it’s not required but just right here alone without a theme editor, the pool of contributions immediately disappear. I check hyperspin and launchbox daily, there is very few themes ever made at launchbox because you have to be a video editor. Jason pays a few folks to do these, some are talented but a vast majority are just trying to get paid. Also one grip I continue to have is the ability to migrate the stuff over quickly. Hyperspin structure is very clean, there should be no reason why Jason can’t make this transition tool. Like you said you want to be able to flip on a dime, I don’t want to duo media efforts either. Regardless of the frontend, I know Jason is trying to replace RocketLauncher but it’s so feature rich it would be hard to do so without missing things. I just read on the forums that someone is requesting guide support in pause. This is silly especially when rl already supports it. I get it, some folks literally have no hope in setting it all up. It’s good for some, there is just 0 incentive for me to move over when the ONLY thing I would be gaining is a wall of text about the games during select.

When you say "swf" everyone's thinking about animations but HS can run actionscript3 code too, this mean you can actually add features to "standard" HS. Here's an example, my skin is running time, date and weather forecast on specialA1

image.png.29e73f372b56ce91da3c60cac0cf98a0.png

Most people who complain about Hyperspin, in fact have issues understanding rocket launcher. Not realising the two work in tandem! Yes "noobs" seem to think using launch box is easier but "power users" will integrate rocket launcher with it. 

I used to like Launch box. I enjoyed watching Jason's dev streams and the videos done by the "old crew" but it all went downhill fast. 

Even if I ignore the fact the software slowed to a crawl once I kitted it out with systems. I wasn't keen on the replacement YouTube personalities he chose to represent the software. Emailing us all saying LB is "under attack", asking us to report some guy was the final straw. I don't want to get dragged into that BS. 

Launchbox is terrific and very easy to set up. I would never use it without Rocketlauncher though. The default launcher is fine, but not nearly as feature rich as Rocketlauncher. I could never achieve the performance with Big Box that I could with hyperspin though. It’s always been laggy for me with large ROM collections - even with good hardware. 

It’s very encouraging to hear there is actually a beta version of a new hyperspin floating around out there. That’s honestly the best news I’ve heard since the infamous Avar disappearance. Hyperspin will always be my preferred frontend unless Big Box’s performance sees significant improvement. 

13 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Most people who complain about Hyperspin, in fact have issues understanding rocket launcher. Not realising the two work in tandem! Yes "noobs" seem to think using launch box is easier but "power users" will integrate rocket launcher with it. 

I used to like Launch box. I enjoyed watching Jason's dev streams and the videos done by the "old crew" but it all went downhill fast. 

Even if I ignore the fact the software slowed to a crawl once I kitted it out with systems. I wasn't keen on the replacement YouTube personalities he chose to represent the software. Emailing us all saying LB is "under attack", asking us to report some guy was the final straw. I don't want to get dragged into that BS. 

Yeah that "..under attack" thing was ridiculous, I didn't even bother to read it all lol

1 hour ago, dark13 said:

Yeah, emulation's scene is all about dramas, then nintendo sue rom's sites because they can still make money with +30 years old SMB and no one dares to say a word...

Not that I'm defending Nintendo, I have no real love for them being a SEGA boy BUT the site they sued didn't just host the Roms. It's entire Web page was ripping off Nintendo assets with Mario artwork.

They were asking for trouble and that's most likely why they were targeted and not other sites, although many others did sadly fold in fear of being sued. 

1 hour ago, dark13 said:

Trust me, nintendo would deserve a HUGE boycott campaign, they're even going after the c64 conversion of super mario bros. Defending IPs and consoles still in an active life cycle is a thing, having NO respect for communities is another thing.

https://www.revyuh.com/2019/04/nintendo-apparently-stopped-super-mario-bros-c64/

Someone remade Mario 64 with the unreal engine, it looked amazing but they force closed that down too. 

As I said I have no love for Nintendo but I don't want to drag this thread off topic further. 

8 hours ago, Honosuseri said:

Someone remade Mario 64 with the unreal engine, it looked amazing but they force closed that down too. 

As I said I have no love for Nintendo but I don't want to drag this thread off topic further. 

I would rather it go off topic than monitoring another HS dev thread :)

Nintendo all within their rights to do all those things and I get the zero tolerance thing but most of it seems over the top! 

Archived