Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Is HyperSpin still being developed?

FuZZyTroll

*Sigh* ....ok.

I don't try to participate in HD dev threads, but being that I've realized today it's been 10 years waiting on any news regarding 2.0; we're talking a decade here people I have to vent.

The fact that we are so far from the last major release of HS and nobody is still allowed to give any information on 2.0 is just ludicrous. I asked for a lousy font used on HS special artwork that I waited on 3 weeks to get an answer on and never did to make custom special artwork. There is no reason to be like this to people that support you. Again 10 years this has been going on.

I'm asking to just be a little more courteous to the end user, that's all. Seeing how Jason is with his user base, it can definitely be done, but HS devs choose not to go this route. I don't know exactly what they have against their user base to be this way, but they should of really handled this differently over the years.

end rant

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, thatman84 said:

Nintendo all within their rights to do all those things and I get the zero tolerance thing but most of it seems over the top! 

Yeah, with current laws nintendo is 100% right. Like a man who reports an hidden jewish family in nazi germany, if you get the point...

11 hours ago, Trnzaddict said:

*Sigh* ....ok.

I don't try to participate in HD dev threads, but being that I've realized today it's been 10 years waiting on any news regarding 2.0; we're talking a decade here people I have to vent.

The fact that we are so far from the last major release of HS and nobody is still allowed to give any information on 2.0 is just ludicrous. I asked for a lousy font used on HS special artwork that I waited on 3 weeks to get an answer on and never did to make custom special artwork. There is no reason to be like this to people that support you. Again 10 years this has been going on.

I'm asking to just be a little more courteous to the end user, that's all. Seeing how Jason is with his user base, it can definitely be done, but HS devs choose not to go this route. I don't know exactly what they have against their user base to be this way, but they should of really handled this differently over the years.

end rant

Lol has been ten years already???? Geez I thought it had only been 5

12 hours ago, Trnzaddict said:

*Sigh* ....ok.

end rant

The Difference though is that Jason does that for a living.  That is his job.  Most of the stuff developed here are by people who do it in free time and if they are anything like me, free time is few and far between and then even when I have it, long standing projects are pushed because the spin up time isn't worth the hassle knowing how little time I do have.  If HyperSpin had a Patreon though, maybe devs could be more inclined.

Creating a Patreon for Hyperspin and making it open source sadly wont work.  Hyperspin makes money from its premium membership and I cant see Patreon even coming close to that so there's no incentive for it to be released.

There is however some good alternatives, where everybody can become a winner.

Hyperspins value isn't in its software, its in the size of the community. They should be using this and start giving content creators incentives to make their releases into Premium content.
Build up the premium store and raise the standard of content being released. Once this is big enough then release the software open source.

This will generate more users to the site, more content creators and hyperspin will get updated. The owners can sit back and watch the money roll in.

The admins and devs can say all they want about Hyperspin 2.0 but simply put they haven't delivered. Its time to give back to the community that's propped it up for so long or just admit it wont be develeped or released.

Premium membership only offers a small additional portion of the forum and access to hypersync.  Am I missing anything else?

If not it seems like they are making their money off the backs of the content creators.  Is this not the same problem we have with drive sellers?

7 hours ago, RLBradders26 said:

Creating a Patreon for Hyperspin and making it open source sadly wont work.  Hyperspin makes money from its premium membership and I cant see Patreon even coming close to that so there's no incentive for it to be released.

There is however some good alternatives, where everybody can become a winner.

Hyperspins value isn't in its software, its in the size of the community. They should be using this and start giving content creators incentives to make their releases into Premium content.
Build up the premium store and raise the standard of content being released. Once this is big enough then release the software open source.

This will generate more users to the site, more content creators and hyperspin will get updated. The owners can sit back and watch the money roll in.

The admins and devs can say all they want about Hyperspin 2.0 but simply put they haven't delivered. Its time to give back to the community that's propped it up for so long or just admit it wont be develeped or released.

Perfectly said.

The passion shown by people here (even I made 2 HTPC theme sets years ago to give back) has really been this front ends life support for years. If the content creators didn’t continue to make wheels, box art, themes etc. HS would of died years ago. 

When you have a community like this, I feel it’s been a slap in the face to basically dangle the carrot in front of everyone’s mouth for years. Then on top of it you have people that actually know what’s going on but the dev team makes them take an oath of silence like they’re working on the fountain of youth.

Its time to Sh*t or Get off the Pot.

Before you read this understand this is not bashing hyperspin or its developers, just my personal observations, 100% understand time is precious and there is never enough of it to balance everything in life. 

I have been using hyperspin for some years now, and have got a lot of help reading thru the forums and found a lot of amazing artwork in my endless tinkering, but I have always sat on the fence about buying premium because of the lack of information and or updates, yes it was updated to fix a problem with the windows 10 update, but to me that is the bare minimum a developer can be doing to convince me and others to upgrade to premium for what is to me the best front end out there, but any future major updates seem like just vapourware.

For all the years I've been using hyperspin there have been talks and polls about features, I've even read some of the older threads about the original 2.0 and nothing has ever come about. There was so much traction and hope when avar was around and it looked like it was all coming to a great conclusion, then, for whatever reason behind the scenes avar dissapeared and any mention of updates or features have gone silent for what now, another 2 years? It's almost infuriating as an end user and I can only imagine the frustration for other users who have been around longer then I have. 

This community, the forums, the artwork and content creators, and the people who created add-ons and tools to assist with our builds is what has kept hyperspin afloat, not the front end itself because hyperspin is what it is and doesn't look like anything will change that, but those same people come and go because of the stagnation and drama that occurs sometimes when things get idle, and without those people hyperspin would surely have died out by now along with any new premium memberships.

In my opinion hyperspin is the most gorgeous front end out there, I love all the customisable artwork, animations and whatnot (I hate front ends that look like a wall of text) but a little transparency would go a long way to convincing people like me that if I do purchase premium and support a fantastic front end that it's not just throwing money into a hole hoping something eventually grows out of it. I hope I am wrong and hyperspin does get updated and welcomes contributions from other people with great ideas and programming skills.

Sorry about the novel lol

Sup HS Folks. Long time Lurker newbie poster. My experience with both HyperSpin and LB/BB has been a bit of a tug of war. I started with HyperSpin and when I ran into some snags and not alot of supportive information to go on, I changed to LB/BB. I enjoyed their Live DEV Q&As (That they don't do much anymore) and the ease of use in setting it up. However I always had problems when upgrading LB/BB and it would break my config along with alot of image caching issues with themes. This has brought me back to HyperSpin again.

I performed a new install of HyperSpin along with some new video content by ninja2bceen and the HyperSpin forums it has been a much easier experience this time so I am finally going to commit in sticking with HyperSpin (because otherwise I would never complete my frontend and Arcade Cabinet). Aside from that I am a supporter of both lifetime licenses of HyperSpin and LB/BB along with emumovies because I think its a worthy investment to keep this type of entertainment and history thriving. I certainly look forward with the release of HyperSpin 2.0 when that day comes but until then I will enjoy setting up my current build, learning, growing, and potentially giving back at some point.

Perfectly said.

The passion shown by people here (even I made 2 HTPC theme sets years ago to give back) has really been this front ends life support for years. If the content creators didn’t continue to make wheels, box art, themes etc. HS would of died years ago. 

When you have a community like this, I feel it’s been a slap in the face to basically dangle the carrot in front of everyone’s mouth for years. Then on top of it you have people that actually know what’s going on but the dev team makes them take an oath of silence like they’re working on the fountain of youth.

Its time to Sh*t or Get off the Pot.

Ya I understand, I signed an nda. Even then the beta team doesn’t see everything. We only test some features. I want it as bad as you all do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, aarox said:

Sup HS Folks. Long time Lurker newbie poster. My experience with both HyperSpin and LB/BB has been a bit of a tug of war. I started with HyperSpin and when I ran into some snags and not alot of supportive information to go on, I changed to LB/BB. I enjoyed their Live DEV Q&As (That they don't do much anymore) and the ease of use in setting it up. However I always had problems when upgrading LB/BB and it would break my config along with alot of image caching issues with themes. This has brought me back to HyperSpin again.

I performed a new install of HyperSpin along with some new video content by ninja2bceen and the HyperSpin forums it has been a much easier experience this time so I am finally going to commit in sticking with HyperSpin (because otherwise I would never complete my frontend and Arcade Cabinet). Aside from that I am a supporter of both lifetime licenses of HyperSpin and LB/BB along with emumovies because I think its a worthy investment to keep this type of entertainment and history thriving. I certainly look forward with the release of HyperSpin 2.0 when that day comes but until then I will enjoy setting up my current build, learning, growing, and potentially giving back at some point.

Did you try out the 62 system build in the downloads section? 

1 hour ago, gigapig said:

Did you try out the 62 system build in the downloads section? 

I have not yet but I can. Does it matter at this point since I have the majority of the things already setup? 

2 hours ago, gigapig said:

Thanks for the followup. I will tinker with it and review the info. Most of what I have is already configured but there might be some to learn from on this build so any bit can help.

• 2 weeks later...

Ninja, I was the one asking for Guide support for Pause within Big Box/LB - I am a lifetime supporter of both and have good experiences with both and also RL - I just have goals set to streamline my personal setup

Glad to hear things are being worked on still here, I'll wait for your videos to hit my feed (Y)

Really all that needs to happen is some wide screen support, the theme creator updated for the times and some support for newer file formats (rip swf) and then the people who have been waiting around here all these years would knock down the walls creating new content and expanding it.

Not sure what's up with the development (and personally HS 1.0 still suites my needs for the most part), but it seems as though HS 2.0 could be released in a barebones state and the community would work to prop it up and improve it, the problems that arise could be fixed up on the way because there should be enough buzz and interest. 

I guess It's similar to when Bethesda release an elder scroll games on the PC and modders have fixed all the issues and made it look 10 times better within a few months.

Seems like now with all the expectations built around the wait time it will never deliver as a full blown finished product. I say get it fundamentally working on a basic level and release what you have so we can go at it and build something great.

But who knows what goes on with development so take all this as uneducated opinion!

Archived