Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Project: Create Hiperspin for Linux

agoliveira

HyperSpin is heavily invested in using Adobe Flash. In fact much of the program is in actionscript.

This is what I wanted to comment with my link. It seems some have already managed to compile ActionScript 3.0 files in Linux.

The question is what is needed for the proprietary plugins. I'm sure that these will not be portable because they will not be available in source code.

Yes, linux support will be coming to HyperSpin 3.0 or until Adobe decides to officially support flash on linux

Hmm. Because you are talking about HyperSpin 3.0...

Why is there no news since 2011 for HyperSpin 2.0?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a great idea let's just re-write HyperSpin from scratch in SDL or Java, this can't take long considering HS just reads some info from XML files and displays some stuff in the screen ^^

Hipersprin 3 is gunna be sooper cool brully. also, make it so there's more xmls on the screen stuff.

• 1 month later...

I think it's highly unlikely that there will ever be an official Linux version of HyperSpin as it is so deeply rooted in Windows-only software, so the best you can hope for is an unofficial clone. It would have to be written from scratch, and all the themes would need to be recreated without flash, so I don't think it would be worth the effort.

There are a few front ends available for Linux but I don't know good any of them are. Perhaps just give them a try and let us know what you think?

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/Front-Ends

There is a little activity going on in the linux (and windows, and, osx) world. Heres a couple early developmental videos being worked on by yours truely. Im calling it puddle-fe.

All of this is funning on a old 1.6GHz samsung Netbook (single core).

All videos are to only show proof of concept. It is not showcasing the final product. It is just showing a few things that the fe is capable of.

Puddle-fe Development - HyperSpin Wheel:

Puddle-fe Development - Animations:

Puddle-fe Development - Maximus layout example:

Puddle-fe Development - Launching Games:

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Looks impressive! The swirling background and the various bits of artwork all rocking back and forth are making me seasick though, so I hope it will have plenty of customisation options to tone it down a bit. :)

I'll have to stick with Windows if I want to put "everything" in my cab (e.g. Taito Type X), but I'd happily use Linux if I build a simple bartop in the future, so I'll be interested to see how this develops.

Any thoughts on a vertical mode? I know some people build dedicated vertical cabs and HS is not ideal for this.

ive been following this project and i must say im impressed with the results so far but 1 person is right about the dizzyness and such if you can change the anime type that would be even better oh im leslie gibson on youtube by the way.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi folks. First post here. I'm a MAME enthusiast for several years and only now I started my cabinet project. I was looking into Hiperspin and it is impressive but I won't do Windows.

I actually make my living on Linux exclusively (I work for Canonical, of Ubuntu fame) and have a large experience on it.

As I was already thinking about create a nice interface for MAME on linux (the current ones are crude) I thought why not create a Linux version of hiperspin? I'm no designer but I have a very good experience creating GL based applications using SDL.

I would like to do this with the HS creators blessing as I have the intention to use the art on it.

Any developers here that can give me more information about the art packs?

Thanks.

Sounds like a good idea to me....good luck.

• 4 months later...

I know the thread isn't very new, but what I am working on is. We are working on running cabrio on the Pi and on the Cubieboard specificly to be part of a complete system that most anyone can afford. Are you still working on porting to Linux? Just curious. Either way, you can pm me to talk more about it. Later.

• 2 years later...

I know this might be a dead topic or at least one that has been discussed in great depth.. 

But I found this article.  

Not sure on the plans for the "never going to be.. Linux" end point.... But I did find this.  

No idea if it is any help.. But seems to cover some of the minimum I know about what you're all looking for. 

BTW, if I ever saw a Linux version.. I'd be on it in a heartbeat. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/au/search.html#q=Linux actionscripts&t=All&sort=relevancy&geo=en_AU

Archived