Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Optimus-Pin P2k Build (39/24/22)

viriiguy

I got my speaker grill from Mameman today! IT looks great! I am hoping to do some major assembly on the cabinet this weekend and next week. I have a couple of important parts still coming, but I am going to do what I can. Currently I have the buttons installed, so I could see how it looks. Looks awesome!! I will post up some pics tomorrow.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are using the Williams steel brackets the way they work is on the front they fit hard against the bottom with the bolts furthest from the bottom. On the back again hard against the bottom but with the brackets rotated so the bolts are closer to the bottom.

Well I have my cabinet assembled and have satarted to put all the pieces into it.

Unfortunately I broke my back glass monitor in the process. :(

So I have found another one and have it ordered. Hopefully it gets here soon. In the meantime here is a picture.

7E4F73DF-BC96-4CEC-B784-BE84ECDFB11C-11621-00000514B7291331_zps6fc40870.jpg

It stands on it's own legs!!!!!

This is a lousy picture, but tomorrow I am moving it out of the garage and into my house! So better pics once I get some work done on it.

17BBFF1F-8804-479F-AEFF-9A7DC9F979C0-13878-0000060E3CFE252C_zps8a5feac0.jpg

My purple paint I used on the right side cabinet protectors is not quite the right shade.. SO I will have to get some mixed up, for when I do my dis-assembly for final paint, in a few weeks.

A couple of things for the record...

I HATE drilling leg holes! If I ever do this again, there has to be an easier way.

And the second one,

NEVER EVER buy Valspar Paint from Lowes. It is utter garbage. 4 coats deep... And blue painters tape... you know the stuff that doesn't stick to paint.. Pulled it off. Stripped it down to the primer coat. So Valspar = bad. Costs way too much and is utter rubbish. I can rub it off with my finger. So once I finish the build.. I will mask off the inside, strip the outside back to primer and repaint.

The seller of my replacement 24" Screen apparently does not know what expedited shipping is. My quoted delivery date is the 20th now. Not happy about that.. I have raised immortal hell, but it did me no good. So we will see when it gets here.

Looks cool, I like the dual colors you have going on there. What are the things behind your legs, are those the cabinet protectors you speak of? What do they do exactly? Protect the cabinet/art from the legs? And you painted them red and purple or you bought them like that? Sorry to hear about all the issues you're having with paint. I admire your patience, I probably would've paid someone handsomely to do it for me at this point! :D

Yes they are cabinet protectors. We use them a LOT on real pins. Over time, the legs cut into the wood. So these keep that from happening. If you look at a pinball machine after it has been in an arcade for a couple of years, you will likely see the wood has indents in it from the legs being tightened into it. In really bad cases, I have actually seen a cabinet on a machine from the 70's, that was completely broken all the way thru. I bought 2 red ones and 2 blue ones. But the blue ones looked a lot more purple int he pics. So I painted them to match the trim. But the color is still not right, so I will get some custom mixed later. The two tone is to match up with the art Javier is doing for me. Autobot side Red, Decepticon side Purple :)

Now I do not want to sound negative, but I think you are being too hard on the paint as the base MDF was not sealed properly first.

If the paint is soaking into the wood and separating then it can not cure properly, as I said my intent is not bad as i love the rest of the build.

Personally I like to laminate MDF if I do not need to paint it, as you get a perfect result and its much quicker, and yes my cab is laminated under the artwork.

Now I do not want to sound negative, but I think you are being too hard on the paint as the base MDF was not sealed properly first.

If the paint is soaking into the wood and separating then it can not cure properly, as I said my intent is not bad as i love the rest of the build.

Personally I like to laminate MDF if I do not need to paint it, as you get a perfect result and its much quicker, and yes my cab is laminated under the artwork.

It's not mdf, it's hardwood ply.

Yes they are cabinet protectors. We use them a LOT on real pins. Over time, the legs cut into the wood. So these keep that from happening. If you look at a pinball machine after it has been in an arcade for a couple of years, you will likely see the wood has indents in it from the legs being tightened into it. In really bad cases, I have actually seen a cabinet on a machine from the 70's, that was completely broken all the way thru. I bought 2 red ones and 2 blue ones. But the blue ones looked a lot more purple int he pics. So I painted them to match the trim. But the color is still not right, so I will get some custom mixed later. The two tone is to match up with the art Javier is doing for me. Autobot side Red, Decepticon side Purple :)

Thanks for the heads up. Totally makes sense and I want to get red ones for myself now, lol. Where did you get yours from? Marco?

Can't wait to see everything come together once the art is applied!

Sure is nice to have the Cabinet inside the house! I did not get too much done.. Just moved it inside, mounted my lock bar receiver, the sub and speakers.

But it sure looks good next to our Addams Family!

F81F23B9-D9EA-4905-B92A-8772F4C831E1-15518-00000729CEFE386A_zpsf1887a2b.jpg

I have to rearrange them a little, to make it fit better, but now I can work on it in the comfort of my home. And my replacement LCD for the back glass will be here tomorrow.

No I haven't yet. But thanks! I was wondering how to install it. I am going to paint it this weekend and maybe trim the edges just a touch, so they do not dig into the paint as I slide it in. I was actually just searching for pics to see if I could find someone in the process of putting the grill on.

Ok, I have the computer, power supply and HDD all mounted permanently now. I have had a couple of people ask how I was going to secure my video cards.. so here is how. I used Hillman bracket parts from the hardware isle in Lowes.

C56502EC-677E-457F-8D7D-FE53D7CA33EE-18657-000008B0B31A8D67_zps184a9417.jpg

BBEB83FC-B100-422F-AA4F-E53E4A7AE2B4-18657-000008B0C44F9D50_zpsad8cfa4c.jpg

A0F1156F-74C8-47E6-8AE6-06D511E3EEAD-18657-000008B0CCC826AA_zps62fd6806.jpg'

Tomorrow I will have more time to work on it and will get power to the cabinet and start wiring up the rest.

Archived