Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Optimus-Pin P2k Build (39/24/22)

viriiguy

Well, it took me 7 hours to take the cabinet apart, install the art and put it all back together... But I present to you.... Optimus Pin

64D60367-20A5-4810-AC2F-68D69BFFA2C8-4241-00000234548120E7_zps9d97a303.jpg

D3D92539-49EA-44D5-9D35-42FBDDFDB74C-4241-000002344A813322_zps9947f123.jpg

61580559-4E06-4780-80DF-ECD918C80F1E-4241-00000234347FBAE7_zps3565cc33.jpg

I will get better quality pictures later, once the wife and I finish cleaning up and getting ready for the inlaws to arrive. But I wanted to show what it looks like with the art and topper on :)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks everyone! I just woke up, walked into the great room, and went DAYUM!! That looks awesome! Brad did an amazing job on the printing and scaling for me. It really came out amazing! And Javier did a great job of taking my ideas and turning them into this masterpiece of art! I do not think I will tire of looking at it anytime soon. Every time I look at it in full size, I see another tiny detail I missed before. It really is great work! And Mameman's cabinet...Beautiful!! I highly recommend him!

I may eventually get my legs powder coated Red and Purple... The black paint was just a temporary measure... to hide the rust :D Plus I need to repaint the purple cabinet protectors, to be the right shade of purple. And I may eventually get some art done for the front of the cab. But for now... I love it!

Ok....

I give up. Bad Luck has whipped my arse for the last time.

I am going to rip ALL the wiring out of my cabinet, buy Zeb's latest boards and just start over. Having now fried more than enough electronics to have bought the board in the first place....

I just do not get it... Why such bad.. rotten luck on this build.

I honestly have no idea...

It has been working fine for a week, with everything but the knocker, shaker and wiper motor hooked up.

I was playing on the X-Files table... And smelled that Magic Smoke. So I opened the coin door and my LEDWiz was on FIRE!!!

I cut the power and got the PF Screen off as fast as I could, to get the fire out.

I checked everything and it SEEMED of.. Aside from the LEDWiz, it is obviously toast. I had a spare LEDWiz, checked my wires.. again all SEEMED ok, hooked it up and everything light up at once.. as soon as the power was applied. Before I could power the cabinet back down, it fried to, along with my remaining HPB.

So.... I am going to remove ALL the wiring.. Redo it with even higher gauge stranded, instead of the solid core I was using.. And test each individual feedback device and power supply outside the cabinet.

I honestly, at this point have zero idea what has caused it. Nothing changed from the time it was working, to the time it was burning.

I like to think I am generally pretty sane when it comes to wiring and soldering.. I have repaired small electronics for years and built numerous projects, MAME Cabs, clocks etc etc etc.. But this one.. have proven otherwise it would seem.

But hopefully, in the next few weeks... I can figure out what the hell happened.

That I am.

So far I have found one anomaly... But I do not know if it is the cause or an effect..

But my USB Bus on my motherboard is putting out 9 volts. I did not honestly believe it is possible for a USB Bus to put out any more than 5.5-6 Volts. I have a call into Gigabyte. I will play dumb and get it replaced. In the meantime, I will leave the cabinet off.

The 9v output would likely be the result of the flaming ledwiz that was attached to it. You're lucky that nothing else on the usb bus has been scorched by that. Good call on replacing the board.

As fate would have it.. The LEDWiz is not the only casualty. I pulled all my USB Devices and put them on my test bench. MY USBMan Hub is damaged. IT seems to work sometimes and sometimes not. My Wireless adapter that I was using on the cab.. Also toast. So far it LOOKS like my USB Wireless Keyboard and Mouse are ok.. As is my iPac Keyboard encoder. Both of these were plugged into the USB 3 Bus.. My Game controller was also plugged into the USB 3 Bus and seems ok.

The USB Hub had my USB HDD, Wireless Adapter and LEDWiz plugged into it. All of these seem to have been a different USB Bus on the board.. As so far only the USB HDD has survived.

I am though, as a precaution, transferring all the files OFF my HDD... As it is my current backup of my Cabinet OS and Table files.. Database... etc etc etc..

Jason, if you have a Multimeter, it is pretty easy to check the voltages of a USB Port... But that device itself might be handy to have. However, to be honest... I have been in the IT Field for 24 years. This is the first time I have ever seen a USB Port put out 9 volts. I HAVE seen them put out 6... Which itself caused damage to some devices.. But that was usually after the board had already taken a lightning strike.

Ah man sorry to hear that more stuff has been cooked. I agree, never heard of this ever before. That is crazy though, one would think the power supply would feed 5 volts through the appropriate channels... does the motherboard actually control voltage? Have you tested the output of your power supply?

I do have a couple meters actually, just didn't wanna short anything out with the probes.

Well, well, well... Praise from Ceaser!!

My InLaws are here visiting from Canada.. My Father In Law is a Master Carpenter... And he is utterly amazed at the cabinet and the work put into the completion of it :)

So Kudos again to Mameman on the cabinet! My FIL just LOVES watching it play... He can't believe there is not really a ball under the glass!!

Archived