Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperbase Live: Public Beta

fr0stbyt3

Ar i forgot about all the different types/sets per system probably not worth trying to navigate other than "default" for everything. Could be a really good feature for 1st run to get new setups populated quick as possible though.
yeah I think updating by global would be good by type. I tend to add systems in batches especially at the beginning. And it's hard to know when stuff gets added so hitting update all wheels could be good.
non specifically it would be nice to have a couple of options in between sync everything and sync one at a time without having to set options in each system.

Would you be OK with a "mass update" option on the left nav?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(my previous feedback post reloaded in the browser!! so here it is)

Feedback

I didnt have much luck with build .17 but .25 is lots better.

I done some idiot testing for you lol (by accident. I actually am an idiot)

Giga & Fr0st are right "Set Path" needs  changing across the board to something like you suggested "Hyperspin Folder" also the system specific one could be "ROM Path"

So I forgot the ROM path thing and added my first system Atari 5200 I set the path to my Atari 5200 MEDIA folder LOL. (It downloaded all the media though)

The progress bar is a total winner and also the speed of download was INSANELY fast (is that because its low traffic right now?)

Im taking from that if you want everything you set the rompath to a folder that is empty?

Next I added Atari 2600 again with the Media folder as my rompath. doh Download was all good. When I was looking in the games list (which was the Images, themes etc folders not games) I hit the "Sync All" button now there was no feedback or prompts but Im sure it downloads the artwork again. (I have been deleting the wheel art and it does seem to instantly bring it back when I hit sync. Is HBL caching the downloads or some other super craazy wizard stuff)

I added Atari 7800 and finally realised I should point to my roms. again everything work fine with sync from main screen but no feeedback if syncing in the games list view

I then added Atari Jaguar to the mix before typing this and its been stuck on this screen for 10mins (I will probably switch off before waiting for it to resolve sorry its late)

5899018b087c7_Screenshot(98).png.0d9ba4579add0763bff073d41f0b6065.png

The last thing I noticed is I THINK is if I add a system it resets the artwork sync selections back to nothing. I'm not sure though it could be something else or by design.

Oh one other thing im Windows 8.1 and in the Start menu Programs directory you may want to check the folder name HBL shortcut is listed under

(my previous feedback post reloaded in the browser!! so here it is)

Feedback
I didnt have much luck with build .17 but .25 is lots better.
I done some idiot testing for you lol (by accident. I actually am an idiot)
Giga & Fr0st are right "Set Path" needs  changing across the board to something like you suggested "Hyperspin Folder" also the system specific one could be "ROM Path"
So I forgot the ROM path thing and added my first system Atari 5200 I set the path to my Atari 5200 MEDIA folder LOL. (It downloaded all the media though)
The progress bar is a total winner and also the speed of download was INSANELY fast (is that because its low traffic right now?)
Im taking from that if you want everything you set the rompath to a folder that is empty?
Next I added Atari 2600 again with the Media folder as my rompath. doh Download was all good. When I was looking in the games list (which was the Images, themes etc folders not games) I hit the "Sync All" button now there was no feedback or prompts but Im sure it downloads the artwork again. (I have been deleting the wheel art and it does seem to instantly bring it back when I hit sync. Is HBL caching the downloads or some other super craazy wizard stuff)
I added Atari 7800 and finally realised I should point to my roms. again everything work fine with sync from main screen but no feeedback if syncing in the games list view
I then added Atari Jaguar to the mix before typing this and its been stuck on this screen for 10mins (I will probably switch off before waiting for it to resolve sorry its late)
5899018b087c7_Screenshot(98).png.0d9ba4579add0763bff073d41f0b6065.png

The last thing I noticed is I THINK is if I add a system it resets the artwork sync selections back to nothing. I'm not sure though it could be something else or by design.

Oh one other thing im Windows 8.1 and in the Start menu Programs directory you may want to check the folder name HBL shortcut is listed under

I'd be interested to see if all of this still applies in the latest build. I know I've already patched a few of these.

As far as speed, you're experiencing server side cache. It's a pretty small group that's testing. So that helps too.

What folder is it listed under? My name or something? I can fix that pretty easily.

Yeah its you name on there I guess. PM'd location

Playing around again and i did notice the settings reset to blank but could not replicate it again after. Doesnt seem to be anything specific. logged in/out few times, added systems, deleted art and synced from home screen and each system. Settings are sticking fine now.

Jaguar worked 1st time no problem

So adding the wrong rom folder gives same outcome which you explained anyway.

All in all a good update :)

just the sync/download feedback in the rom page view issue

44 minutes ago, thatman84 said:

Yeah its you name on there I guess. PM'd location

Playing around again and i did notice the settings reset to blank but could not replicate it again after. Doesnt seem to be anything specific. logged in/out few times, added systems, deleted art and synced from home screen and each system. Settings are sticking fine now.

Jaguar worked 1st time no problem

So adding the wrong rom folder gives same outcome which you explained anyway.

All in all a good update :)

just the sync/download feedback in the rom page view issue

I'll add that to the next build. But I don't know why you would want it there. :) Give me a few to compile it.

1 minute ago, maabus said:

I dont think the auto update is working. I've been stuck on ver 25 for a long time. I've left hyperbase open, and i've closed it and restarted it.

Going to manually install 28.

after 28 installs, you're going to be pushed to 29

@thatman84 close the app and open it again.

From here on out, I will not be posting links to updates. Let the auto updater do its job :)

After manually installing 27, it did update to 29. Not sure why 25 wasn't updating, but i'm good now.

25 was also weird... i added atari 2600, and saw the games in the group, then they all disappeared, but i still had the group. Now being on 29 i had to add atari back, and now i see all the games again.

Are the yellow/orange games missing?

After manually installing 27, it did update to 29. Not sure why 25 wasn't updating, but i'm good now.
25 was also weird... i added atari 2600, and saw the games in the group, then they all disappeared, but i still had the group. Now being on 29 i had to add atari back, and now i see all the games again.
Are the yellow/orange games missing?

Yeah. I'm working out what I want to do with this screen next. But I'm thinking of making ROM matching show a list of unmatched roms so you can manually map them. If you skip or ignore them during that process... It'll show orange in the ROM list. Clicking on an orange one would bring up a single item matching screen or a delete option.

one thing that might be helpful is to display artwork 1 or two or maybe even the wheel after you sync. This way you know quickly what was synced directly from Hyperbase. I synced my atari, and it said it was done, but all the icons are still the blue square. If it showed some artwork I would know it worked correctly without having to launch Hyperspin, or go into the folders.

one thing that might be helpful is to display artwork 1 or two or maybe even the wheel after you sync. This way you know quickly what was synced directly from Hyperbase. I synced my atari, and it said it was done, but all the icons are still the blue square. If it showed some artwork I would know it worked correctly without having to launch Hyperspin, or go into the folders.

I will gladly do this. HOWEVER if you load mame... We'll just don't. [emoji1]

I've had a few issues with earlier versions. Most of them related to the UI, it's not very intuitive on how to use the app. Going back to the forum and reading the first post helped me in setting it up, but I shouldn't have to do that. More recent versions are better in that aspect tho (v0.26 and onwards). I can add systems and the syncing works fine for the systems I tested but the UI could be better imo. Maybe add a wizard of some sort on first launch of the program to know that you need to add systems. 

As for syncing, I don't understand why you need it to point to the roms folder if HBL just downloads anything that is available for that system. I also wonder if it does a recursive search? As an example, I'm using the latest dev DB for PC Engine which is a heavily trimmed down version of the one on Hyperlist (191 vs 294 games) and my roms folder only has those 191 roms but after syncing I have an excess of 125 files. 

I also don't approve that it's a completely silent installation. As a power user I like to have choice over where programs are installed. When uninstalling it also leaves residual  files on my system in both appdata\local and \appdata\Roaming and the start menu.

It does the job in the end but it's not very intuitive on how to use but that's why it's a beta I guess :) 

8 minutes ago, Yeuxkes said:

I've had a few issues with earlier versions. Most of them related to the UI, it's not very intuitive on how to use the app. Going back to the forum and reading the first post helped me in setting it up, but I shouldn't have to do that. More recent versions are better in that aspect tho (v0.26 and onwards). I can add systems and the syncing works fine for the systems I tested but the UI could be better imo. Maybe add a wizard of some sort on first launch of the program to know that you need to add systems. 

As for syncing, I don't understand why you need it to point to the roms folder if HBL just downloads anything that is available for that system. I also wonder if it does a recursive search? As an example, I'm using the latest dev DB for PC Engine which is a heavily trimmed down version of the one on Hyperlist (191 vs 294 games) and my roms folder only has those 191 roms but after syncing I have an excess of 125 files. 

I also don't approve that it's a completely silent installation. As a power user I like to have choice over where programs are installed. When uninstalling it also leaves residual  files on my system in both appdata\local and \appdata\Roaming and the start menu.

It does the job in the end but it's not very intuitive on how to use but that's why it's a beta I guess :) 

I totally agree. We're going to have a wizard setup for new installs. I'm mainly focused on all of the small features at this point. Those types of things will be coming very soon..

You need to point to the ROMs folder because soon I will be downloading data for only the ROMs that you have installed. I'll also be saving the files to match your naming.  Right now, sync is all or nothing. As soon as the ROM functionality is done, this will not be the case.

I agree with you to a degree on the silent installer. Unfortunately, this was a design decision made early on because of permissions and issues as well as straight up user error. As far as the uninstall... I can take a look at that. 

It is indeed why it's in beta. But I am very interested in your UI feedback. As we go along in development, please post back here. I want to make this app as easy as possible for the average user.

UI feedback

the word "Client Settings" is a little techy for adversary people imo. It's a very IT industry term in the situation.

other than that I found it very easy to use in .29 with the new button names.

Possible feature would be an import Hyperspin Main Menu.xml systems. Rompath would need a thought.

or instead of the + button bottom right (which is fine) you have a "fake" grey square where your 1st system should be. Have a big + in it. 

1 hour ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

I agree with you to a degree on the silent installer. Unfortunately, this was a design decision made early on because of permissions and issues as well as straight up user error. As far as the uninstall... I can take a look at that. 

It is indeed why it's in beta. But I am very interested in your UI feedback. As we go along in development, please post back here. I want to make this app as easy as possible for the average user.

I can understand that, would solve a lot of issues with novice users not knowing what to do and flooding the forum with questions. Thatman above me made some good points about the UI and I like to add the following.

The + button was my biggest problem I didn't even click it because it was so out of place on the bottom right. (Interesting read on how people browse websites which also can be useful for applications Here )

The "systems" and "settings" aren't clickable but are titles which also confused me. Grayed out made me think they are menus which are currently disabled.
When adding a system make it so the drop down shows more than 5 items, especially so when browsing a list with close to 200 items.

If there is no data to sync when configuring a system make it so there's something telling you nothing is availble instead of only showing "don't sync" (similar as to how you show the different box/cart options)

There's a tooltip when you hover over "Sync all" but none throughout the rest of the UI. The + button only tells me what it does after I click it, same thing with the config and save button (save button is kinda obvious tho)

I thought the logout button was actually to slide the column to the left hiding the menu, again no tooltip.

These were some of the things I had problems with and would want to see changed if possible.

I would also take the opportunity to applaud your attitude towards all this feedback. You obviously spend a whole lot of time on this project and I assume it must not be easy to read all this criticism after putting in the hours. Thank you! 

1 hour ago, thatman84 said:

UI feedback

the word "Client Settings" is a little techy for adversary people imo. It's a very IT industry term in the situation.

other than that I found it very easy to use in .29 with the new button names.

Possible feature would be an import Hyperspin Main Menu.xml systems. Rompath would need a thought.

or instead of the + button bottom right (which is fine) you have a "fake" grey square where your 1st system should be. Have a big + in it. 

What should I use instead of Client settings? Just "settings" or should I make that a generic "HyperSpin" link? 

Why thank you. Did you notice that you get feedback in ROM view now?

I have not done this, because again... it's not specifically written for Hyperspin 1. So first round will be exporting XML to "support" HS1. Then we'll allow for an import and export of XML files. There are a ton of settings and customization issues in doing a direct XML import. 

I was going to add something that pointed out the add button a little more. Kind of like a guided tour. But i'm trying to keep the UI semi-consistent. I'll keep this in mind though. 

32 minutes ago, Yeuxkes said:

I can understand that, would solve a lot of issues with novice users not knowing what to do and flooding the forum with questions. Thatman above me made some good points about the UI and I like to add the following.

The + button was my biggest problem I didn't even click it because it was so out of place on the bottom right. (Interesting read on how people browse websites which also can be useful for applications Here )

The "systems" and "settings" aren't clickable but are titles which also confused me. Grayed out made me think they are menus which are currently disabled.
When adding a system make it so the drop down shows more than 5 items, especially so when browsing a list with close to 200 items.

If there is no data to sync when configuring a system make it so there's something telling you nothing is availble instead of only showing "don't sync" (similar as to how you show the different box/cart options)

There's a tooltip when you hover over "Sync all" but none throughout the rest of the UI. The + button only tells me what it does after I click it, same thing with the config and save button (save button is kinda obvious tho)

I thought the logout button was actually to slide the column to the left hiding the menu, again no tooltip.

These were some of the things I had problems with and would want to see changed if possible.

I would also take the opportunity to applaud your attitude towards all this feedback. You obviously spend a whole lot of time on this project and I assume it must not be easy to read all this criticism after putting in the hours. Thank you! 

• Point taken on the heatmap.. but when you don't need an add button, you don't want it to be the focus. I'd like to avoid hiding it under a ton of menus as other UIs have done. I think pointing out the button better and having an explanation to the user will suffice in this regard. At least I hope. I'll revisit this soon.
  • I can do better with the CSS for menu headers. I just don't want them to be too intrusive looking. Maybe changing it back to collapse panels? 
  • Would it make sense to disable dropdowns if no options are available?
  • Obvious oversight. Thanks!
  • HA, sorry about that. It gives you a modal though... :)

I actually love all of the feedback. I write software for a living. So i'm quite used to user feedback. (even the brutal stuff). All of this helps me make this app better.  At the end of the day, I'm doing this for all of you. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to fiddle with beta level software. Without such an amazing community, this app would be dead in the water.

4 hours ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

What should I use instead of Client settings? Just "settings" or should I make that a generic "HyperSpin" link? 

Why thank you. Did you notice that you get feedback in ROM view now?

I have not done this, because again... it's not specifically written for Hyperspin 1. So first round will be exporting XML to "support" HS1. Then we'll allow for an import and export of XML files. There are a ton of settings and customization issues in doing a direct XML import. 

I was going to add something that pointed out the add button a little more. Kind of like a guided tour. But i'm trying to keep the UI semi-consistent. I'll keep this in mind though. 

I"m not sure on wording maybe FE Path.

Sorry I forgot to thank you for the progress panel. That is perfect.

Xml stuff sounds like fun!

i don't mind what goes on with the add button, a little more clarity always helps people. 

i also agree with yeuxkes about the left panel headings not being obviously seperate from the clickable 

i cannot get the newest hyper base live to work i set my path and nothing downloads whats the problem it used to work fine all i see is a image of a console with its logo but no downloads going on. 

Did you set any of the settings per system?

13 minutes ago, fr0stbyt3 said:

Did you set any of the settings per system?

yes nothing shows up even when i try click on an item for that console its just blanked out when i press the drop down arrow its still blank something isnt right im not sure what tho 

yes nothing shows up even when i try click on an item for that console its just blanked out when i press the drop down arrow its still blank something isnt right im not sure what tho 

So, to clarify. You followed the instructions in the first post about completely deleting the old version of HBL.

Then you opened the new one. Set your HS path. Added a console. Set a few of the settings, then hit sync.

Result. Nothing happens?

If this is the case... Are you sure the data you're trying to sync is missing?

• Avar locked this topic

Archived