Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Well, cross Rec Room Masters off the list

DJQuad

Give the guy a chance to respond, he may over at Chris's going over the contracts.

You're right. Let's just chill. Can you imagine that meeting?

RRM - Well this didn't work out

Chris - As I said, Nintendo, Sega, Atari, Namco, Capcom, Coleco, EA, Midway, Hasbro, Taito, and the rest have given me permission. Believe in me!

RRM - Oh sweet! Can I endorse you even though that makes no sense?

Chris - Yes take my word for it. We met once.

RRM - I will!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops, 2 "guests".

-How do you do that triple-bufferered onion routing and what's with the "anonymous user" thing. How's that work? Where's my Pi-VPN. Gotta get on that hater response video- "You see Guys (pause for long thoughtful look and chin-pube pulling)". And while we're talking, you promised me 150 drive referrals. Why am I off your site.

-You promised me 150 cab sells a month.

-Laaaaawwwwyeeeeersssssssssss.

I agree. Let's please give Rec Room the chance to respond about this. In all fairness, Rec Room may not have known all the facts about Upchurch before endorsing him. Rec Room may have very well been lied to just so Upchurch could increase his sales. That sounds a bit move believable to me.

You are seriously delusional. RRM has been in the business for over 7 years. They are fully aware of who he is. They ignored that thinking that the typical buyer of a cab would have no idea who he is and how illegal and immoral HyperSpin drives are. 

They wanted a "solution". Instead of simply linking to a few tutorials, they promoted illegal and immoral activity and then tried to defend themselves.

Please apply some common sense.

You are seriously delusional. RRM has been in the business for over 7 years. They are fully aware of who he is. They ignored that thinking that the typical buyer of a cab would have no idea who he is and how illegal and immoral HyperSpin drives are.

They wanted a "solution". Instead of simply linking to a few tutorials, they promoted illegal and immoral activity and then tried to defend themselves.

Please apply some common sense.

Hey look...all I'm asking for is cooler heads on this subject. No need to jab others here in this discussion. Yeah, it looks like RRM have made a big mistake in our eyes. The real villan, like in times past, is Upchurch. Slings and arrows in his general direction are perfectly fine, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I do apologize (at least to full members of this site :negative::ciao: ) for my previous post#27. I was trying to let it go, but I have seen too many of Upchurch's videos. Pops up everytime I look at something related to HyperSpin on youtube and autostarts without warning me and then there he is. Big chin filling the screen- talking about all his hard work troubleshooting, and making themes and the 5000 satisfied customers he has sold $489 drives and top of the line custom PCs to. I understand that RRM has little or nothing to do with that.

On a positive note, Upchurch did say that HyperTheme was brilliant. That he had saved the world that one time (you remember that time), using Flash and knew the effort that went into developing it. He did go on to make a theme, not just download it from here, so he could be an asset. No?

I know I shouldn't touch this but:

1) no publicity is bad publicity (you're kind of advertising for the guy)

2) don't kill the messenger (unless the guy is getting kick backs for the drives)

3) aren't some/most a pot calling the kettle black?

4) we're running out of soap boxes

progets, I would have a longer reply to you but I have gotten myself in enough trouble today, so i will suffice it to say:

agree mostly with points 1,2, and 4. For me personally, point 3 is somewhat debatable unless applied to a commercial setting. Fair use, personal use, derivative works, preservation of history and other possible gray areas aside, commercial use automatically trumps all of that. I do hope that RRM doesn't have any blowback over this thread. I think everyone should screw some wood together and have something cool to point at. Even if the wood comes through the mail.

But I mostly agree with you. And it has been a little slow around here.

Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity (Hanlon).

At least they removed the link right away, in stead of shrugging it off like most companies would do. Besides, I still feel that the fact that HD sellers have managed to find a market may mean that we need to do our best to make it easier to use our work.

I believe 100% in build yourself cabs and HS setups. At $500 for a drive, I could build a whole cab setup for that, and have.

Don't blame the cab builder (if that's what you want).

Don't mention the company that's a rip-off or just buy a drive and offer it as a torrent to make his product worthless.

It always surprises me how strong this community is, these kind of issues cause people to stop what they are doing and walk away. I'm also surprised how it hasn't completely closed down and left us all and the drive seller with nothing.

Even I have considered walking away but that's not the attitude. The positive is we are passionate about our games and our hobby and that passion keeps us going and also gets us a little hot under the collar at times. :)

Hey look...all I'm asking for is cooler heads on this subject. No need to jab others here in this discussion. Yeah, it looks like RRM have made a big mistake in our eyes. The real villan, like in times past, is Upchurch. Slings and arrows in his general direction are perfectly fine, IMO.

I do apologize that it came across as a jab, that wasn't my intent. My point was that I don't see a huge difference between RRM and the villain, Chris Upchurch. It may seem harsh, but I will never forgive RRM for endorsing and recommending him, especially being in the business for over 7 years. They are more than aware who he is, and chose to take the easy way out assuming the community would never know.

Their "public statement" was beyond offensive. That's more than anything what pissed the community off.

All they had to do was ask that dbag what he was including. A friend asked what is included with his 8TB that RRM was endorsing. This was verbatim Chris's response -

Out of the 163 (this number changes almost weekly) Systems on the wheel (4TB have 152). 
Only the 6 and 8TB drives have enough space to include Wii titles. The 4 and 5tb drives 
are pre-configured for them, but you would need to add those titles yourself. 

The 5 and 6tb versions have 700 more DS titles, 600+ more PS2 titles, Small GOG Collection, 
220+ more PSP titles and more. Unfortunately, The 4TB Drive feature only arcade and American console titles. 

All version are running Mess and Mame clean 172 rom / CHD, and bios set with a 100% working CLRMame log. 

All media has been updated with HD snaps. Databases have also been updated with the latest HS official database releases.

8TB Drive Differences
1000+ more PS2 Titles
700+ more PS1 Titles
150+ more Sega Saturn Jap titles
20gb of Hyperpause Media

Update log: [link removed]

Thanks, 
Chris

So yeah, please stop defending RRM.

we're not calling the pot black, because we aren't selling roms or artwork.  

What I think he meant was, realistically we are all kind of in the grey area of the law with this hobby;  we're also downloading roms we don't all own. People also pay money between here and emumovies to have access to that artwork which technically neither sites own the rights to.

Just because we're not selling the content does not make it legal. Technically the roms are supposed to be deleted after 24 hours if you don't own the actual game.

Bottom line is this: A good portion of this hobby involves stuff that's questionable by copyright law, whether you're selling it OR using it.

I wonder what idiot came up with that 24 hour story. There is NO such rule in copyright law! Downloading roms of games you don't own is illegal in most countries, and in some it's even illegal to download roms you do own. Trust me: there's nothing grey about the roms. The art we're creating here, now there's a grey area...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I wonder what idiot came up with that 24 hour story. There is NO such rule in copyright law! Downloading roms of games you don't own is illegal in most countries, and in some it's even illegal to download roms you do own. Trust me: there's nothing grey about the roms. The art we're creating here, now there's a grey area...

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

This. I remember seeing that 24 hour rule all over the place in my first years of emulation back in the early 2000's. It's amazing that myth has managed to survive all these years. There is no question that downloading and storing ROM files for games you do not own is illegal. The only legal way to store a ROM file on your computer is if you rip it from a physical copy that you own as a backup. I'm guessing very few of us here own own the thousands of physical arcade boards, cartridges and optical discs that make up all the hyperspin xmls.

That said, from a moral perspective, I don't find anything unethical about owning roms for 20+ year old game systems. I subscribe to the argument that it is unethical to download rom files for games that the creators can still make substantial profit from. I only download roms for games that are more than two generations old.

Some may argue the ethics of this position. I, for one, feel pretty at ease with this approach. I'm still supporting the manufacturers by purchasing their current gen products. I guess I'll know for sure when I have my face to face at the pearly gates. :-P

Hey, if you say it enough times, it's true isn't it?

Also, I'm staring at a stack of boxes (about 3' by 8') containing original consoles and quite a few games. Drives my wife crazy, but I have a (as yet, unrealized) plan. Pull my own bios files. Makes me feel a little better.

Still trying to figure out how to get the bios off the WOW Action Max and my VCR.

That said, from a moral perspective, I don't find anything unethical about owning roms for 20+ year old game systems. I subscribe to the argument that it is unethical to download rom files for games that the creators can still make substantial profit from. I only download roms for games that are more than two generations old.

Some may argue the ethics of this position. I, for one, feel pretty at ease with this approach. I'm still supporting the manufacturers by purchasing their current gen products. I guess I'll know for sure when I have my face to face at the pearly gates. :-P

I feel the same and won't be going anywhere near 3DS & WiiU emulation any time soon. I own both of those and have more than enough to play anyway. You spend more time collecting these games and getting them working and not actually playing anything, totally pointless.

Someone should make a game similar to Game Dev Story and call it "Frontend Emulation Story" so no one need do this for real.

The aim is to collect all the parts (fetch quests) set the damn thing up (grinding), do some MMO (help fuckwit Noobs ;), clan up and defeat evil boss "Fwukurch" ), get divorced, empty poop sock and finally die on your pizza grease encrusted keyboard.  :hang1:

Sounds cool but a little familiar.

What I think he meant was, realistically we are all kind of in the grey area of the law with this hobby;  we're also downloading roms we don't all own. People also pay money between here and emumovies to have access to that artwork which technically neither sites own the rights to.

Just because we're not selling the content does not make it legal. Technically the roms are supposed to be deleted after 24 hours if you don't own the actual game.

Bottom line is this: A good portion of this hobby involves stuff that's questionable by copyright law, whether you're selling it OR using it.

False belief

Speak for yourself. Although I'm sure some in the community download ROM packs, I know for a fact that some are completely legit in that they only play the games they own. That's how its supposed to be and don't assume everyone does otherwise.

The artwork you mentioned falls under fair use laws. For example, if I make fan art of a Mario figure and make it available to the public, copyright law does not apply unless I claim that Mario was my copyright. 

You mentioned technically ROMs should be deleted after 24 hours. No. I'm not sure who made that up but that's not a thing. lol

What HyperSpin and EmuMovies optionally charges for is to cover their bandwidth costs. 

Speak for yourself. Although I'm sure some in the community download ROM packs, I know for a fact that some are completely legit in that they only play the games they own. That's how its supposed to be and don't assume everyone does otherwise.

The artwork you mentioned falls under fair use laws. For example, if I make fan art of a Mario figure and make it available to the public, copyright law does not apply unless I claim that Mario was my copyright. 

You mentioned technically ROMs should be deleted after 24 hours. No. I'm not sure who made that up but that's not a thing. lol

What HyperSpin and EmuMovies optionally charges for is to cover their bandwidth costs. 

This is probably the most ethical approach to be honest. I've actually been doing a lot of research on ROM dumping (to make legal, legit backups of physical cartridges that I own). It's not nearly as complex or cost prohibitive as I thought it would be.

"Some in the community" You're kidding right? :lol:

I think the majority of people in this hobby go for full sets around here. So many people ask for torrent invites it's funny. I'm not calling anybody out, but BE REAL.

Maybe a HANDFUL around here run only games they own, but like I said, A HANDFUL. Period.

On another note, the reason I've even commented on this thread is I own an extension arcade machine and they are solid. To alienate them and black ball them because they may have gotten wrongfully involved with a dbag is a little extreme IMO, I'm sorry.

I don't think they were alienated simply because they became wrongfully involved with a dbag.  It was mostly that ridiculous canned statement.  If they had gone a different route there might not have been such a backlash.  Also, the difference between the majority of us having full sets, and chris upchuck is that we aren't selling them!  Derp.

No idea if this appropriate or not but I have a CNC machine that can make arcades...

I am also rather active in trying to teach people how to setup HyperSpin on their own here and on reddit.  I could probably help a few people get some cabinets made if anyone was interested.

Archived