Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Front-End GameEx prepares something Very important

Sir Cyrano

I like Game EX I still think it's good and of all the FE's I found it the easiest to set up and maintain. But it looks 'old' like something from 1995. Something with the visual flair of hyperspin but the ease of use that Game EX has would be great.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have tried on several occasions to try Gameex (on Windows 8 system)to see what all the buzz is about, but not impressed. I refuse to buy it when the trial download sucks. I am running HS without any problems and can set up a system now in no time with HS. Gameex is just slow compared to HS and the nag screen is very annoying when trying to learn the system or see what it can do. The Mame setup does not work right in that it does not add my games to the list and it constantly freezes at 55% when updating the dat file for the Mame system. If they want to impress me, limit the number of systems that can be setup or something, but get rid of the nag screen delay so I can work with it a bit to see if it is better than HS. I have yet to really see how Gameex can be better or easier to set up than HS.

• 3 weeks later...

@Alpha17x: Your wish may be coming true sooner then you think. ;)

@Aceisback: You can skip that option by disabling 'verify sets' in the MAME options. It takes a god amount of time to scan and verify every single ROM if you have a full set, CHDs, etc...

Of course, someone would have probably pointed that out had you posted in the forum about it. We have a very friendly and positive community, always willing to help. Not to mention a development team that has arecord of fixing bugs in 24h or less. Just sayin'. :)

I wasn't attempting to be bold or anything, and I'm not trying to steal away from here... I stumbled across this thread entirely by accident and simply wanted to address the topic.

I apologize if that comes across badly, I assure you that wasn't my intent. I respect and admire both front ends for different reasons. I understand if I'm not welcome here, but as tight as both communities are, there is room for users who use both. Don't you agree?

I don't see any problem with Adultery's post, he basically just answered a question on an already existing thread and I think everyone here is already aware of the upcoming GameEX release anyway.

I can tell you that I'm looking forward to the release and see if it will live up to all the hype created around it, and I do hope so as the scene needs some fresh stuff.

• 3 weeks later...
I wasn't attempting to be bold or anything, and I'm not trying to steal away from here... I stumbled across this thread entirely by accident and simply wanted to address the topic.

I apologize if that comes across badly, I assure you that wasn't my intent. I respect and admire both front ends for different reasons. I understand if I'm not welcome here, but as tight as both communities are, there is room for users who use both. Don't you agree?

Totally agree Adultery. I was one of the old school Game-Ex users. I originally followed Tom over to the Game-Ex website from Yahoo groups a looong time ago. I was a fully paid up member (i think I was member 7 or 8). It was because of his software that I got into the mame cab scene.

My cab however is long gone and so I stopped visiting. I have been removed from the forums now as it has been so long since I last logged in :(

I am now using Hyperspin in a bid to try and convince my wife to let me have a slimmer (Japanese style) cabinet in the house.

But you are right. It is a small niche group and the community as a whole can grow from sharing ideas and assistance with each other. I am definitely interested in the new Game-Ex and I may even wing an email to Tom to see if I can get my account unlocked.

I had purchased Game EX years ago, before I found out about hyperspin... I have hyperspin and RocketLauncher on all 3 of my cabinets and love it. I also have a digital pinball that I ran hyperpin on... came across Game Ex's PinballX front end and decided to try it.

It was a seamless upgrade from hyperpin, same structure and supported the same databases. Runs quick, no functionality loss from HP and super easy to setup. It's also updated weekly if not daily with new features.

I could see the new Game EX being very similar to Hyperspin visually, supporting all the media and databases from HS. Would take a lot to convince me to move on from Hyperspin though I can see Tom putting out a quality product!

I know Tom Spiers of Game Ex, he is a stand up guy. The GameEx front is a great MCE front end. It depends on what people want thier Cab to look like and do.

I like both FE's, and both Devs BBB, Tom.

In this secene of Emulation and FE's more choice is always a positive and both Devs are good people. I have used both softwares quite extensivley. One cannot go wrong in any direction, or software in my opnion when the cohoice is between these FE's.

Brian Hoffman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After first look.....maybe I expected more but I'm not really that impressed. As far as interface and all out wow factor...I still think hyperspin is worth the work. Unless this thing is very very easy to modify and change the whole look of...I don't think I will mess with it unless I want to make a mame classic cab.

Remember that GameEx is not just for gaming. It is a very in depth muti-media system, and can be set up how ever you want it.

If you want to use it just for gaming or and easy way to be able to view your movies, go online, you name it, it will do it.

It is also very, very easy to setup.

I have been using it for years and it has always been getting updated but what is coming up is new.

Remember that GameEx is not just for gaming. It is a very in depth muti-media system, and can be set up how ever you want it.

If you want to use it just for gaming or and easy way to be able to view your movies, go online, you name it, it will do it.

It is also very, very easy to setup.

I have been using it for years and it has always been getting updated but what is coming up is new.

I guess if you want the all in one box it is a viable option...but for those of us who have a media player or pc/media center already hooked to their tv. hyperspin is just prettier to look at. Everyone has their preferences. Which is why I endure the endless headache that is hyperspin.

Like I said....my hyperspin project is almost finished.

After that I was going to start a project with my empty wide body cab....I still may give this a try so I don't have 2 of the same machine in the house.

GameEx Evolution looks incredible. If the level of customization is there to get rid of some of the ugliness I am all over it. I love HyperSpin, I love the community and I always want to be involved here but...to be completely honest I am really tired of all the workarounds, the supporting programs needed to get features I want, and performance problems. Of course GameEx is going to rip off features of HyperSpin because they are good features to have and are clearly trying to bury the competition. Like their intro says "Evolve or die" well shit that's the truth.

As long as I can keep using HyperLaunch and HyperLive when that becomes available, I am happy. From the countdown it looks like 3 days until release and I am excited to see what they come up with.

Sorry if I ruffle feathers here...just my 2 cents.

Hi guys!

Long time lurker, seldom poster. :itsme: I'm an admin over at the GameEx forums.

I hope they're not planning on just simply grabbing all the HS content and making it available for GameEx users.

I just want to reassure everyone that we will explicitly not be making HS content available to GameEx users. We're pretty excited about the developments happening with GameEx Evolution, but likewise we have an immense amount of respect for the HS community. The amazing quality (and volume) of artistic endeavors produced by this community is astounding. To release HS themes and artwork without explicit permission would not only impugn upon the endeavors of hardworking creators, but would run counter to the type of community we attempt to foster (and I would say this latter applies to the greater emulation community as a whole). We invite and encourage users to use HS themes within GameEx Evolution but the implicit understanding is that those themes must be sourced through HS channels in the same way that they always have been.

Having said that, we certainly welcome any and all artistic contributions made through GameEx upload channels, but we will not provide themes and artwork that haven't been explicitly uploaded to GameEx by first party creators. In fact I think it would be great to see some cooperative efforts happening between these communities. Who knows what the future holds!

Thanks guys, and keep up the amazing work!

Hi guys!

Long time lurker, seldom poster. :itsme: I'm an admin over at the GameEx forums.

I just want to reassure everyone that we will explicitly not be making HS content available to GameEx users. We're pretty excited about the developments happening with GameEx Evolution, but likewise we have an immense amount of respect for the HS community. The amazing quality (and volume) of artistic endeavors produced by this community is astounding. To release HS themes and artwork without explicit permission would not only impugn upon the endeavors of hardworking creators, but would run counter to the type of community we attempt to foster (and I would say this latter applies to the greater emulation community as a whole). We invite and encourage users to use HS themes within GameEx Evolution but the implicit understanding is that those themes must be sourced through HS channels in the same way that they always have been.

Having said that, we certainly welcome any and all artistic contributions made through GameEx upload channels, but we will not provide themes and artwork that haven't been explicitly uploaded to GameEx by first party creators. In fact I think it would be great to see some cooperative efforts happening between these communities. Who knows what the future holds!

Thanks guys, and keep up the amazing work!

Feel free to check out my little website and share/use Anything u want from it. Thanks....

Watching that GameEx preview really accentuated how much potential Hyperspin has. It sucks that the development will remain stagnate indefinitely... I'm thinking about starting an open source project with a couple of my friends. We are going to replicate Hyperspin, and add the features which were promised on the "Hyperspin 2.0" thread years ago and more much needed features which have been requested.

Archived