Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Front-End GameEx prepares something Very important

Sir Cyrano

I watched that video and wasn't too impressed. I would have been impressed with the search function but that's been added here already. Also, at 1:24 isn't that the same Moon Patrol theme that used to be an example on theme media in the Hyperspin Docs?

Edit: Now that I mention it, why is the Docs link dead? Its been like that for weeks at least.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly. There are sections in that video that look like HyperSpin layout styled themes and then other bits that had that WiiFlow look and then your classic arcade machine on left with text scroll on right and image comes up in arcade machine.

You have watched the video klizine?

Exactly. There are sections in that video that look like HyperSpin layout styled themes and then other bits that had that WiiFlow look and then your classic arcade machine on left with text scroll on right and image comes up in arcade machine.

You have watched the video klizine?

I watched the video and agree with you whole heartedly. I was just remarking about your control of the English language at that particular moment. ;)

• 1 month later...

Same here. That is why I was asking. That is the ONE thing that has been preventing me from switching over. If they added wheel art support I would switch over in a heart beat.

It has native widescreen support and a theme editor to go along with it. It will support themes at 1920x1080 without the ridiculous hyperspin flash conversion.

But wheel art is a big deal, at least for me. A list of generic text just doesn't do it. I don't see it as being hard thing to implement. I know GameEx is not hyperspin, but it has the potential to be way better.

Just out of curiosity: assuming that BBB isn't likely to pick up HS again, why don't we do it ourselves in stead of putting our hopes in GameEx? We've got a great community here, and plenty of programmers too I wager. Depending on the feature set, writing a front-end isn't that difficult. If we could define an order of features that people want, and a minimum set of features required before switching over would be considered, I'd be willing to have a stab at it.

Sounds like a great idea in theory, and I'm sure there'd be no shortage of feature requests! I can't judge how difficult it would be to pull off though, as my limited programming experience was over 20 years ago and involved FORTRAN and Sinclair BASIC...

At the very least you could start a new thread to gauge interest, but it would need a dedicated website, forum and github in the long run.

Given that everything is mostly handled by Hyperlaunch, I can't see it being too difficult to replicate Hyperspin. Having said that, I'm not a programmer.

Start by replicating it first, add widescreen support and integrate the search feature. Having subwheels like that workaround where you require 2 copies of hyperspin would be good too. Once all that is working, than worry about extra features.

Agreed. Start with basics and build from there is the best approach.

For widescreen support, I envisage native 1920x1080 themes and old 1024x768 themes being used in the same wheel by upscaling the latter to 1440x1080 and having a bezel on either side. This would allow use of both old and new themes for any system, with the eventual aim of creating new widescreen themes to replace the old ones.

Who's starting from scratch? :) I wrote a frontend before in 2004, and I have contacts with other frontend developers. It's more a matter of defining features and formats, and it would depend on interest from this community. Not much sense working on something if this community falls apart when the new GameEx comes out.

I'll stick around if you can come up with a widescreen version of hyperspin. From what I was reading over at the GameEx forum yesterday, it will not support wheel art because as someone stated, GameEx is not Hyperspin. To me that's a deal breaker.

Plus I've put in a ton of work into hyperspin. I just wish it would have widescreen support. I'm sure with a new version in constant development, most of us would stick with it.

Archived