Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Front-End GameEx prepares something Very important

Sir Cyrano

but it´s hyperlaunch compatible? djvj work it´s amazing, Hyperspin+Hyperlaunch+Hypersearch is enough for me.

Every frontend is HyperLaunch compatible. That being said we are going to create GameEX plugins to make it 100% compatible (ie being able to read info from GameEX databases and media folders directly), but will need to do some research on that area first as we don't really know GameEX structure and also not exactly sure if Evolution will change anything on these subjects.

All in all this is looking promising and I'm looking forward to check the actual product when it's out.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many changes coming in the next HL update. Like brolly said, we are in no way tied to one FE. HL currently works on GameEx, it was tested back during the initial RL beta by our beta team. The limitation on the HL side is how we support databases and FE media assets. Currently in HL 3.0.1.1, it has no support for non-HS databases. My team is working very hard on this right now and we have made a lot of progress towards supporting anything you can throw at it. This is one main feature holding up release as we are too far into to release the next update w/o it.

I can promise you that the next HL update will change how see us with any FE you use, including GameEx. The sooner we can get our hands on it, the sooner we can begin to support it.

Well I registered @ GameEx. :afraid:

Been lurking around the forums the past few days and Evolution and GameEx in general seems to be very promising for an HTPC setup like the one I have. If HyperLaunch can be tied with it, then it might just be what I've been looking for. I think HyperSpin's foundation was built on Arcades and I don't own one.

Apologies if using GameEx seems traitorous but I'm not going anywhere.

Zero

There are many changes coming in the next HL update. Like brolly said, we are in no way tied to one FE. HL currently works on GameEx, it was tested back during the initial RL beta by our beta team. The limitation on the HL side is how we support databases and FE media assets. Currently in HL 3.0.1.1, it has no support for non-HS databases. My team is working very hard on this right now and we have made a lot of progress towards supporting anything you can throw at it. This is one main feature holding up release as we are too far into to release the next update w/o it.

I can promise you that the next HL update will change how see us with any FE you use, including GameEx. The sooner we can get our hands on it, the sooner we can begin to support it.

I think HyperLaunch is a great project. With the new GameEx we have support for "AddOn's" which are dll's you can use to interact directly with the rendering engine. In other words you can display stuff inside the FE. I know HL does most of its work after launching a game but that is something to think about. It could be expanded to support disk swap etc. while inside the FE. Great project though either way.

I personally don't really sit frothing at the mouth for updates on something that imo, is downright amazing. Sure little things to tweak here and there, I might be looking for, but overall, the entire system is great. That video on the gamex site did nothing for me really. It's cool, but eh. Also, another reason why I don't look forward to updates is that it took several months to get it all working in the first place, and many months after that to tweak stuff and add one system here, another there. But it's all interesting nonetheless :)

I personally don't really sit frothing at the mouth for updates on something that imo, is downright amazing. Sure little things to tweak here and there, I might be looking for, but overall, the entire system is great. That video on the gamex site did nothing for me really. It's cool, but eh. Also, another reason why I don't look forward to updates is that it took several months to get it all working in the first place, and many months after that to tweak stuff and add one system here, another there. But it's all interesting nonetheless :)

Same here on the update thing, mine took the best part of 9 months to setup and is using an old version of RL and old modules. There's no way I'm going to update and cause myself grief, if it ain't broke don't try to fix it.

Gamex looks like it was created by a programmer. HyperSpin looks like it was created by a designer. It's not until 1 minute into the video that you see some nice design and it's a direct ripoff of HyperSpin. The rest looks promising, but currently it's bland and dated. I don't mean to bash on it but I really appreciate good graphic design and I don't see it there.

If another frontend comes along and it offers a better experience than HyperSpin, is free, and appears to have a development future, I'll switch over. I'll start a new hard drive though. I wont delete HyperSpin because it offers a great experience. A new FE doesn't change that. HS doesn't have barriers to supporting emulators as they continue to develop. A new FE wont completely replace everything HS does. Each will probably have their own pros and cons. I'll use both. How great would it be to have two arcades with unique front ends on them?

I really appreciate the community here, the willingness to help, the personal contributions, and everyone's upbeat positive attitude. The latter is especially rare.

My purpose in posting is that I think this sums up how most of us feel about it (excluding the die hard loyalists).

• 1 month later...

My only gripe about HyperSpin is its somewhat beefy hardware demands. For a lot of people (myself included) our HTPCs are fairly baseline machines. It would be nice to have a FE that runs nicely on this kind of hardware. I don't know anything about GameEx, but if it can pull this off, I might have to make the switch on some of my PCs. Knowing that it's compatible with RocketLauncher makes it worth investigating at the very least.

Speaking of which, are there any tutorials out there explaining how to get HL working with GameEx or XBMC?

My only gripe about HyperSpin is its somewhat beefy hardware demands. For a lot of people (myself included) our HTPCs are fairly baseline machines. It would be nice to have a FE that runs nicely on this kind of hardware. I don't know anything about GameEx, but if it can pull this off, I might have to make the switch on some of my PCs. Knowing that it's compatible with RocketLauncher makes it worth investigating at the very least.

Speaking of which, are there any tutorials out there explaining how to get HL working with GameEx or XBMC?

It's 2014. Get a new PC! My biggest gripe is the lack of widescreen support. Everyone these days has widescreens. Even the guys building new cabs are using widescreens - just look at the cab forum. Yet everyone keeps creating low res 4:3 themes that will stretch.

It's 2014. Get a new PC! My biggest gripe is the lack of widescreen support. Everyone these days has widescreens. Even the guys building new cabs are using widescreens - just look at the cab forum. Yet everyone keeps creating low res 4:3 themes that will stretch.

I do have higher end PCs that slice through HyperSpin like butter; it's my older hand-me-downs (with dual core processors) that I'm using as HTPCs that kind of wade through HyperSpin's bloat.

I felt like I was on acid. What year are we in? Can't remember the last time I saw such an ugly interface.

Not crazy about this interface either, but it looks promising. It's very encouraging to see developers taking advantage of RocketLauncher - I'm surprised more aren't. Hell, you could strap a rolodex to HyperLaunch and have a functional frontend. ;-)

I do have higher end PCs that slice through HyperSpin like butter; it's my older hand-me-downs (with dual core processors) that I'm using as HTPCs that kind of wade through HyperSpin's bloat.

Has anyone tried tweaking settings to get it to run better? If you disable some of the Flash oriented stuff, like animated backgrounds, it runs a tad bit smoother.

Not crazy about this interface either, but it looks promising. It's very encouraging to see developers taking advantage of RocketLauncher - I'm surprised more aren't. Hell, you could strap a rolodex to HyperLaunch and have a functional frontend. ;-)

That interface looks like someone whipped up a GUI using MaLa. I kind of like it, to be honest. Very 80's. Probably works good on a 15 kHz arcade monitor.

The thing I like the most about hyperspin that sets it apart (for me) from all other front-ends is the wheel that has actual logos that take up space/have padding. It is sooooo much easier to read your game entries with these logos rather than just a list with text that is so close to each other it's hard to see individual entries after a while.

If I was taking the 5am train to work I don't think anything could induce me to laugh!

On the subject of GameEx, I would only switch to it if it supported wheels and came with a theme-building tool that could magically batch convert existing 4:3 themes to widescreen.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk, probably while at work...

• 1 month later...

Archived