Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Has anyone here given up?

doo138

So after 2 years o my build being in progress, halfway through life problems popped up and it spent half a year in storage, I've finally given up and just called it done. Only has 8 systems but they are all up and running. It's basically just a big box with 2 player arcade controls and 2 usb snes controllers for console games. Had to be portable to take over for parties and whatnot. Would post pics but it's atrocious..lol. Has anybody else got to a point and just threw in the towel no matter how ugly it looked?

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm... Opposite for me. I started my project on 2/8 this year and finished, built, painted, artwork on, setup on 5/8. So 3 months to the day from beginning to end (although I'll be building a better CP for it soon)

I actually thought I was taking a long time and if it hadn't been for a part I ordered taking 32 days to arrive I probably would have had it done beginning to en in 2 months.

I worked on it on basically every spare minute I wasn't at work though... wife sure loved that. Ha!

Sounds like you finished not thrown in the towel. I'd be happy with an ugly box and a Mame set, that could keep me happy on my desert island until the Arcade gods take me.

You have to say "that's enough" at some point and enjoy your creation, then start again with the Bride of your creation. ;) Then wait for the angry mod (wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/mum) with torches and pitch forks.

I get on and see all these museum quality cabs and just feel ashamed...lol

Gigapig.....she's ugly but she gets the job done! Ha ha

Paint job got destroyed in storage I'm gonna be lazy and just slap a bunch of band and game stickers on it. That'll work for me!

given up many times lol. probably 5 years of working on an off on my arcade and a htpc, starting again over and over, updating to widescreen, getting overwhelmed, giving up, resuming etc..... still going and loving it at this stage ;)

Started 4-5 years ago by building a full size cab....never finished it....gave up. Built another one 3 years later and almost finished it but never fully completed all my systems.... moved house so it had to go. Now have an almost complete bartop in which the power supply blew (generic supply....learned the hard way!!) and it took out my motherboard with it. Hard drive was corrupt (no backup...again learned the hard way) so now re-building but its so much easier with how far HyperSpin has come. I will never give up!

VIVA LA HYPERSPIN !!

I'm astonished to find I'll have been here 4 years in August, and I'm no closer to building a cab than when I joined.

I've sketched out dozens of different designs, but health problems and more pressing DIY projects have kept me from bringing any of them to fruition. I've yet to even upgrade to RocketLauncher and HS 1.4 beta!

I say every year that I'm going to build a cab "next year", and I really want to create something to be proud of, like the lovingly crafted works of art I've seen here. Realistically though, I may have to swallow my pride and buy a kit from eBay, or slap together something quick and dirty around my little used X-Arcade.

I want to build a cocktail table, but i really want the screen to rotate and that's a little scary both in cost and getting it working. I know I can do it just need to clear out the shed :) 

And I want those servo sticks.

I won't even attempt to build a cabinet. The wife would go bananas with one in the house plus she already has to deal with all the time I spend setting up hyperspin.

I know how you feel....hence why the full size became a bartop which was just about acceptable in our house. My 4 year old loves it..... which winds the wife up even more... HAHA!

I know how you feel....hence why the full size became a bartop which was just about acceptable in our house. My 4 year old loves it..... which winds the wife up even more... HAHA!

My wife hates videogames. Hates them.

But for some reason she likes the arcade machines and airhockey table in the family room (and Pinball machine soon on the way!). Not sure why, but I got lucky there.

However she is always pissed about the time playing games and especially the time I spent building the Hyperspin machine.

My girl and I split up a year ago but she was super supportive in helping me build. I think one of the main reasons it took so long was the costs. Had to spread out my spending over a long course of time.

It took a while to come up with a design as well. Couldn't rationalize having a full cab in a tiny apartment so needed something smaller and portable so I just took a basic control panel design and made it deeper to fit a pc into it. Worked out pretty good. Only about 15 lbs.

Do not give up on it... you will be happy with it once its done.> When things have to be worked at and money ahs to be earned to accomplish something, you will have greater benefit!   I have been with out a cabinet for 15 years!  Finally setting up computer with HS now.. next step is a build (few months) L:)

Jim

My wife hates videogames. Hates them.

But for some reason she likes the arcade machines and airhockey table in the family room (and Pinball machine soon on the way!). Not sure why, but I got lucky there.

However she is always pissed about the time playing games and especially the time I spent building the Hyperspin machine.

Mine likes games and doesn't really mind me playing. It's more the time spent on Hyperspin setting things up that she can't understand. Says I'm never going to play those games. She's not wrong.

To people who can't stand video games, I always ask them if they watch TV o read books and then ask them to explain the difference. I have never had anyone give a proper explanation. Take part in an interactive adventure of exploration and discovery or sit and passively absorb some story by some guy. Video games win every time!

Mine likes games and doesn't really mind me playing. It's more the time spent on Hyperspin setting things up that she can't understand. Says I'm never going to play those games. She's not wrong.

To people who can't stand video games, I always ask them if they watch TV o read books and then ask them to explain the difference. I have never had anyone give a proper explanation. Take part in an interactive adventure of exploration and discovery or sit and passively absorb some story by some guy. Video games win every time!

I agree and the same argument I give.

Im just curious the reason. Why do they not like video games? I like reading and tv as well. So i cant see.the difference. My last girl hated em. The new one plays wii bowling with me but just lets me do my hyperspin thing. I just say im remaning files. ;)

Archived