Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Im giving up on Hyperspin because

jedfactor

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get the main systems setup and have done with it, who says you have to have 180 systems running what's wrong with just 10 or so? I'd be happy with Mame, Amiga, C64, Daphne, GameCube, Wii, N64, Steam and ZX Spectrum, the rest I don't have much affection for.

I'm basically here to help out and speak with like minded people as none of my friends care about this stuff.

What's taking up your time? you can always ask for help.

It doesn't take that long to setup. I took a few weeks, only because I was setting up a different emulator for each system and came in with zero knowledge of all things hyperspin. My last emulator was Nesticle 1.0 and I was able to grasp things. Anything I couldn't figure out, I simply asked questions and received spot on answers. I have 15 systems setup with a 1 gb hard drive and I am thrilled with it.

It does take time,i spent many many hours on this years ago,then my hard drive died and I didn't have it copied at the time,tried to redo everything a few times after this,but having kids and a job I had hardly anytime,i don't mind people that buy the hard drives,for some its too difficult and for others to time consuming....what annoys me is people that complain about buying hard drives,some people don't realise that they don't have the time of knowledge to set this up,and then argue that its free why should you buy it....well buying it saves time,already pre configured and secondly,its not exactly free on here,if you really want the ultimate setup you need to buy membership as you do over at emumovies..

But the good thing is this forum is full of nice people willing to help and if you do ave the time its great to finish something that you part built yourself

I have about 10 systems and that gives me over 6000 thousand games. I see the mega setups with 8TB worth of games, then I see the thousands of way stupid and not that fun games they have. I used to have way more systems and games but I ditched them to make room for PC games. Don't waste your time with games you wont even play.

I was just looking into a Dreamcast issue with the HS ready set, which isn't...fully ready. I noticed I have the JP set which is 200gb, and thought why the hell do I have that.

Sometimes it's a good thing to have a good dump, a good clear out, and have it all tidy, and then there's no nagging feeling in the back of your mind saying "I must spend hours getting all those blocky old systems working (through MESS, Arrgh!) that I can already play through Atari 2600 or Mame"

LOL! Buy a drive from them and be done with it.

How many times have I tried to help a poor soul who bought one of them drives because they didn't know what they were doing, and/or they are missing key components and are outdated.

If you want instant gratification, why set up a front end at all? Just click exes and be done with it. The reasons listed above are what make this a hobby and not a toy you buy and get tired of a week later. As far as I'm concerned, he listed the best parts about Hyperspin.

Sorry I was partly joking lol, had lots of late nights configuring hyperspin recently, then saw some guy on youtube selling a drive that had way more systems than mine and felt frustrated. but like you say there probably isn't much point in trying to have every system on the wheel when I will probably only play a select few in any case. Im mainly interested in playing systems that I grew up with so NES and onwards but anything before then doesn't interest me that much, there are so many obscure computer systems out there it would take ages to have them all configured.

I already have all the systems from the official and non official xml's set up.

saw some guy on youtube selling a drive that had way more systems than mine and felt frustrated.

I get frustrated too, but I have a beautiful wife and I should stay away from Adult Art sites. ;)

Jed, what you see on Youtube is all smoke and mirrors, a mere parlour trick, any of us could have all those systems on a wheel, grab the artwork from here and craiganderson and your done. But you never see them run a game, because the hard work is setting up the back end, and that's where they will always fail.

I take longggggg breaks from HS all the time. I have too because I get burnt out fast. I have a OCD problem when I start something I have to absolutely finish it before something else. Afterwards, I take a month or two off, then return. It is a hobby after all.

This is like me lol, I get ocd about it and want to finish it as quickly as possible, but yeah just need to recognize its my ocd and chill out and take a break every so often.

What Gigapig is saying is probably true, getting everything to work is the tricky part, I have never seen them run a game either.

I think you can spend as much or as little time as you want to tinkering with HS and HLHQ and I'm sure for some people that's just as rewarding as actually playing the games. Personally, I try to strike a balance as I don't get a lot of free time so would rather have a modest setup that works than a monster that needs a lot of TLC.

I recently pruned my main menu to remove all the systems that were giving me trouble or didn't seem worth bothering with, and switched to Retroarch for nearly everything. I've not tweaked any settings or messed with filters yet and have ended up with a setup that I was able to copy onto an external drive and give to my brother. I had to spend a bit of time getting it to work on his PC, but it was OK once I'd told Norton to ignore the drive to stop it quarantining most of the executables!

Yes it takes forever to get systems and games working the way you'd like. To cut time and make a better user experience I made a list of all the MAME, NES, SNES, Genesis, Atari, and Daphne titles I like to play. All I have are those games installed which makes it easy to browse instead of cycling through 1,000+ lame games you'll never play or get working right.

agreed with Gigs, you can always ask for help, most of the time someone before you has had the same problem and its already been hashed out. But yeah, I may have a metric shit ton of games but I really only play like 2 or 3 systems. The rest are there for parties and what not.

This. I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm way in over my head, but all I have to do is come here and have my questions answered. No bashing the newb. No bashing me for asking a stupid question that's been asked a million times before. There's good people here. We're all here for the same reasons; to learn and to keep building on an awesome project. Let's keep retro gaming alive for future gamers!

Maybe I'm sadistic but I actually enjoyed the challenge of getting hs setup, off the top of my head I have around 20 - 25 systems set up but rarely use anything but mame and amiga. The only systems that nearly killed me off were the demul based ones (naomi & atomiswave) and the devil incarnate that is TTX, that soab should be eradicated. Now we have hyperlaunch it's easier than ever to set up hyperspin, as for these drives that people are selling, I never gave it a thought that it was the artwork only, that's pretty much automated with hypersync lol.

some people just make their own for their own games and benefits,a lot is available of course via here and emumovies....some on torrent sites but they are usually incomplete.

Its beneficial if you have the time and patience to do it yourself,more pride in it as well...but I can also understand why people buy the drives also,they are hardcore retro gamers that maybe don't have the time of knowledge to start up a good drive by themselves

I managed to quit hyperspin for a day lol, im now adding more systems, there is a good feeling you get when you have a new system set up, its fun finding out about all these obscure systems as well.

I can understand why there is a demand for people who want a pre configured set up though, at least to get you started, it does take up a lot of time if you want everything set up properly, but one of the biggest challenges you have is getting your roms to match the database, renaming roms is not fun.

Tell you what, you go and buy a hard drive.....It'll only cause more work!!

I have fixed 4 cabs on teamviewer now from people who have bought setups from Upchurch. All you're basically getting from him is all the media that is hosted here, which you basically would do better just to pay the $30 here.

YOU DO NOT GET A BETTER DEAL.

YOU DO NOT SAVE ANY MORE TIME.

Archived