Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Im giving up on Hyperspin because

jedfactor

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way you are going to kill off the third party sellers market is to come up with a better product at a better price with better added value.

If you know a guy who knows a guy (usually with a name like Giusepe or Geovani) who has some "connections", there are ways to make it stop.

Hey, it's a me Giusepe, I show you good deal...you come with me now...

I suffer from OCD and HyperSpin makes it worse. But I'm not giving up.

Just give up now while you can, Its pretty much a massive waste of time, Ive hardly used Hyperspin apart from actually configuring it and adding artwork etc. It gives you to much overwhelm, There are so many games to play that I don't play any.

When I do play retro games I prefer to play on the actual console on a CRT, LCD's suck for retro gaming which kind of makes Hyperspin pointless unless you can hook up your PC to a CRT.

Just give up now while you can, Its pretty much a massive waste of time, Ive hardly used Hyperspin apart from actually configuring it and adding artwork etc. It gives you to much overwhelm, There are so many games to play that I don't play any.

When I do play retro games I prefer to play on the actual console on a CRT, LCD's suck for retro gaming which kind of makes Hyperspin pointless unless you can hook up your PC to a CRT.

I disagree. I love browsing and playing new games i never heard of. 2 x guns is awesome for mame. My makvision arcade lcd makes all my games look great. I am thinking of selling most my consoles and i have most stuff back to intellivision.

So would now be a good time to mention the HyperScore Challenge which so few join in on? You can actually play games and won't be overwhelmed with choice, it's just one every 2 weeks.

Doesn't matter if you suck, it's just for fun.

Please all are welcome.

Here's the latest

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?39861-HyperScore-Challenge-10-Crystal-Castles

Sorry that sounded really negative, was partially joking. Hyperspin has been great for discovering games I never knew about before, it would be awesome if I can work out how to run my PC through My CRT.

just watched one of upchurch's videos because the preview image was my Super Game Boy theme. Damnit craig why do you get all the praise? He's just gushing over all your themes and when he stops on mine all he says is "I guess its ok".

I wanna be super internet famous too! What an injustice!

I guess no one will accuse me of secretly being upchurch.

For what it's worth, I've been lurking here for a little while :creep: and I think austin585 is right; it's really difficult to pull all the current, pertinent information together from this site.

I'm in the planning stages of cabinet construction and I'm obviously looking ahead to installing emulators and a front end. Hyperspin looks amazing but also looks bloody complicated too! However, I'm sure that with the help available here on the forum and austin585's YouTube page, when I finally get around to the install, I'll be in good hands. :)

Oh, "Hello" btw! :hello:

just watched one of upchurch's videos because the preview image was my Super Game Boy theme. Damnit craig why do you get all the praise? He's just gushing over all your themes and when he stops on mine all he says is "I guess its ok".

I wanna be super internet famous too! What an injustice!

I guess no one will accuse me of secretly being upchurch.

just to be clear

i never claimed to make the bsx satellaview .. was not my creation...its in the download section of hyperspin website

i did throw together that simple sufami turbo (video png from NES)

i did make the videos he's talking about

Look from someone that has only been playing with Hyperspin for a week or so I totally agree with you. It's very daunting and alot of the information is not readily available. Having said that I put my mind to completing it because I'm building my cab after waiting 20 years to have one and I wanted the best visual experience fronted out there.

I will say however the community here is beyond fantastic every question I have asked help on someone has replied and it has always been helpful. Relic even went on teamspeak to show me how to setup a few things so I could do the rest myself. Can't ask for better service that that. Stick with it because now I'm nearly finished it is so rewarding because it was a little difficult :)

For what it's worth, I've been lurking here for a little while :creep: and I think austin585 is right; it's really difficult to pull all the current, pertinent information together from this site.

I'm in the planning stages of cabinet construction and I'm obviously looking ahead to installing emulators and a front end. Hyperspin looks amazing but also looks bloody complicated too! However, I'm sure that with the help available here on the forum and austin585's YouTube page, when I finally get around to the install, I'll be in good hands. :)

Oh, "Hello" btw! :hello:

You make me blush with such words of praise ;) Im glad I am helping at least one person. Just added RetroArch to the setup too so thats 50% of the work done hehehe. Now I can get on and add systems for you all.

• 1 year later...

I'm not giving up but, I also think my rig will never be done.

Partly because how OCD I am about having complete artwork and video. So for all the systems I want, I have to pare down each romset to the ones that I can find art for, or that are readily available.

For some systems, like Aquarius and Apple II...this sucks

It's been a month for me and all my media is not set for all my systems in HS, let alone RL.

Then after that long road, I get to work out wrinkles in my attempts for full navigation with bluetooth gamepads...A pleasant wormhole all on it's own FUN!

And lastly, I wait for the day libretro makes either

1 - a Demul port

Or

2 - adds Naomi/2 and Atomiswave support to the windows Reicast build

I downloaded HS a week ago and it took me days to figure it out. I've finally ironed out all the kinks and understand how to fix some problems. It is a huge pain in the butt at first, a very large learning curve. But once you understand how to deal with the most common errors and naming conventions the entire project is a blast. It is very manageable for me since I only care for < 10 systems. The art and media isn't hard to come by, the community is great, and the help is there if you want it (be it on here or Youtube). I just can't see myself parting ways with HS any time soon. ;)

You make me blush with such words of praise ;) Im glad I am helping at least one person. Just added RetroArch to the setup too so thats 50% of the work done hehehe. Now I can get on and add systems for you all.

Hyperspin had me swinging and cursing along the way now its retroarch turn lol mame conventional naming smh i work on my setup for good 12months off and on i do it when i can i dont say today is hyperspinning day shave bathe and do chores nope lol i do it when i can thats the beauty about it its not a deadline or anything..have fun with it ask questions btw i dont like chris upchurch either he been selling systems since he had access to the artwork and i have helped lots people in chat mainly destributing austins videos and if they need help just ask i also teamview people and fix their system even some one system at a time...wouldnt know what hyperspin was without this forum and austin and gigapig videos i came from wiiflow usb loader for wii lol never look back plan on doing my share soon...to give back for bringing hyperspin to my gaming needs thanks artwork makers and everyone especially austin for making videos on all systems i have on here now...

So what exactly is the downfall to someone who just wants that plug and play accessibility? Like if you buy a 5TB HDD what is there to add if you have 40k games? (just a question, don't crucify me lmao) do the hard drives not play the games or?

They often don't work as advertised and may include keyloggers along with out of date emulators, old HyperLaunch instead of RocketLauncher etc.

You can spend more time sorting it all out than just doing it yourself in the first place.

So what exactly is the downfall to someone who just wants that plug and play accessibility? Like if you buy a 5TB HDD what is there to add if you have 40k games? (just a question, don't crucify me lmao) do the hard drives not play the games or?

I started out by buying a drive and within a few hours knew it was a mistake, deleted it all and started from scratch. All I kept was the drive and a few of the roms.

-emulators several versions old or just not setup all the way. Controls not mapped to work with my cabinet and no knowledge or instructions on how to fix it. Old and way out of date Hyperspin and Hyperlaunch versions with 1000 settings not exactly how I would like and since I didn't do it myself I had no idea how to fix it. tons of garbage files and apps that I had no idea what they did, if they were necessary or if they could even be moved or deleted. File structure that was a mess, but none of it could be fixed or re-organized because without knowing how to do it yourself there's no way to know what will **** the entire thing up. I could keep a few of the roms, but even then the rest was either massively out of date, misnamed, wrong versions or not torrent zipped as needed to even update them.

However after I just deleted it all and started from scratch I followed the text guides here (Ghutche's) and had HyperSpin and HyperLaunch set up, working and controlling perfectly with MAME in a day and had the rest of the systems I wanted up working and playing in the next 2 days. After that you have a basic working knowledge and can slowly fine tune and dial in the rest.

The biggest thing is that if you ever have an issue you pretty much have to learn everything.  And do not believe that free tech support garbage they all try to feed you.

Between HyperSpin and EmuMovies (with the 25% offf) you are looking at $95 for life time memberships.You can find 5TB external drives for around $130-150 these days.  So at most you are looking at around $250 for everything you could possibly need to run HyperSpin and have it look the way you want it to.  This is much better than the $400-$500 prices that some of those drive sellers try to pitch.

I bought a 5tb hyperspin drive, so i thought I would share my experience

There is a lot of criticism on these forums, but it does appear to me to be biased.

First to criticize someone for making money on someone else's work when you are doing the same thing seems hypocritical ( or do you really own 60000 games)

Also, they are adding value by collecting all of the roms and media and configuring it, so isn't it reasonable to expect some payment for this work.

Now to my drive:-

I didn't pay $450 for it, I paid £150 got it from Gumtree uk. A 5tb drive costs about £110 so I paid £40 for the hyperspin. I don't think I got value for money.

I don't know if it was a copy of one of Chris Upchurch drives, I couldn't tell anyway now because there is very little left of the original drive.

I thought even if the configuration is bad, I at least have the roms, because to download 5tb of roms with my internet connection would take forever.

and I do have the knowhow to rebuild it. as long as I  have the roms and media.

but.

1 The configuration was an old version of Hyperspin. used Hyperlaunch not Rocketlauncher, so it all needed to be reinstalled and reconfigured

2 The emulators were mostly configured ok with all bios files, but they were generally old versions, that I replaced anyway with retroarch.

3 Media, video was flv files not mp4, 

4 Most roms were not named as the XML database. This is not too big a problem for most roms but CD images with cue and bin files are a pain to rename

5 No rom sets were complete, as was no media.

I have gradually replaced almost every romset  that came on that drive, (thanks to PD 12 days of christmas) because although it takes ages to download romsets, it is still easier than renaming or finding missing roms.

I replaced all videos using emumovies, again, because it is easier than trying to fix the drive,

I have kept a lot of the wheels from the drive and am filling in the gaps from here, but I will probably sign up here eventually

So from my experience, I would say, Don't waste your money on one of these drives, almost everything you get on them you will probably discard.

It would be good if someone could give an honest review of a relatively new bought drive.

Also, they are adding value by collecting all of the roms and media and configuring it, so isn't it reasonable to expect some payment for this work.

I'm confused by your post. You firstly state the drive seller is adding so much value and making it nice and easy and then say it was all a waste of time because you junked it. No logic at all.

If 10 other people did that or 100 the drive seller has made between £400 to £4000 and there is 10 to 100 people on this forum asking for help for free.

You were conned.

It would be good if someone could give an honest review of a relatively new bought drive.

Your review and mine just before yours were both bought in the past year so that is relatively new. We both gave the same advice. Avoid at all costs.

I also kind of share your thoughts on the subject. I have no problem with people selling drives. The way I see it is it's all stolen material.

But the problem is that I have yet to hear of one that was actually setup with some skill, correctly configured with decent instructions or support.

There is a lot of criticism on these forums, but it does appear to me to be biased.

Total objectivity can't really be expected here, can it.

First to criticize someone for making money on someone else's work when you are doing the same thing seems hypocritical ( or do you really own 60000 games)

* We do not sell illegal roms.

* We facilitate the smooth launching of emulators, roms and any other program you've come to own by any means, just like the internet, your hard drive manufacturer and torrent clients/sites facilitate to acquire & store any data acquired by any means, legal or not. We are not responsible for what our users use HS for.

(There are legal roms, grey area legal ways to have roms for boards you own and all kinds of games buy can buy or obtain for free legally.)

* We're not blatantly stealing or using other peoples work, just like HS does not come with emulators, nor does it come with RocketLauncher since it has split from us for example.

I don't think I got value for money.

That's our other grievance with these drives other than ripping the creators of the content off.

So from my experience, I would say, Don't waste your money on one of these drives, almost everything you get on them you will probably discard.

Exactly

This would fall into two camps. On the one hand the people who just use it as is and are not aware of everything that is poorly done, missing, possible, etc. who will love it for what it is if it works at all. On the other hand the people who run into trouble or know what is possible with HS, who'll conclude it's crap.

Archived