Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Big Bang Pin - 46/30/15.6 LED Widebody (custom artwork, bezel less, deep playfield)

chriz99

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did some thinking (ouch!) and came up with the following test scheme:

Pick 1 special table, lets use AFM, play a game and make sure you get multiball and during that score as much jackpots a possible, this is when the flasher are heavy used.

Play both by starting from Hyperpin and directly from VP, preferable with a complete reboot between plays. Note down the ammount of stutter.

Next test is to comment the last line from core.vbs, the startup for ledwiz. After that play 2 games the same way as before. Note down the ammount of stutter.

If we can do these test with some different people, both high-end systems and regular and post the results we can rule out some things.

If we get some idea we can pinpoint the next tests by disabling the pwm functions and driving the cree's with just on/off, see if that matters.

Who's up for the challenge ?

I've already tried disconnecting power to the LEDs, and it still is an issue when the rom sends the commands to light up the flashers. If I remove the flashers from my ledcontrol.ini file, the table plays fine.

LEDwiz Ver: 4.2

With normal core.vbs

---------------------

Starting from VP: During 3 ball multiball the table is completely unplayable.

Starting from HP: During 4 ball multiball the table is completely stutter-free.

With modified core.vbs

----------------------

Starting with VP: No stutter

Starting with HP: No stutter

For me this is a non-issue as I start all my tables via hyperpin, but it caused me a lot of grief when I originally encountered it, because I thought it was always happening.

Not matter what table I play. Every table stutters when ran directly through VP, but when launched from HP it runs silky smooth.

It did from the start with the original fplaunch till the latest wip.

So no coincidence.

It always behaved like that.

btw, I run the 4.1 version.

Installed my mirror polished lockbar, backbox hinges and siderails today.

Love the look and feel, I think I will upgrade my real pinball machines too :stupid:

DSC03158%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPG

DSC03160%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPG

Next steps is a fresh install of winXP - hopefully I can solve my ledwiz problem (thanks for all the hints! :beer: )

This thread is amazing and I'm so glad I got through it as I have just finished cutting the MDO for my cabinet and backbox.

When I originally started reading the forums was on that STTNG build and there was no use of the flashers at the back of the playfield (available now since we're using the angled playfield screen) and I definitely want to do that!

So, my question is, does anyone have a model number or link to those white LED panels being used for the strobing behind the playfield? And are those just standalone self-contained units or do they need to have resistors connected to them (and, if so, how many mA are you putting through those). And are they connected to the opt-relay and constant power supply? I found the info about your top strobes but haven't found any specifics on the playfield strobes--and I love them!

I probably could have made that simpler by just asking for all the playfield strobes specifics--but hey! I got overly-excited when I watched

of them!

Lastly, all these things (RGBs and flashers) are wired in series right? Not parallel?

This build is just awesome.

hey john, check out this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TR-2-x-22-LED-Car-Truck-Flash-Strobe-Light-NEW-White-/250731862809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60c89b19

I drive those playfield strobe LEDs via the opto-relay (normal 12vdc powered), parallel to the cree xm-l strobe LEDs (which are powered via constant power supply). I think you can run them also directly via ledwiz (check the ampere, <500mA is ok for ledwiz)

hey john, check out this link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TR-2-x-22-LED-Car-Truck-Flash-Strobe-Light-NEW-White-/250731862809?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a60c89b19

I drive those playfield strobe LEDs via the opto-relay (normal 12vdc powered), parallel to the cree xm-l strobe LEDs (which are powered via constant power supply). I think you can run them also directly via ledwiz (check the ampere, <500mA is ok for ledwiz)

$7.96 with shipping to the states = done.

Thanks Chris.

i will bring mine to you then, if you are busy and get the hang of it you probibly want to keep going :)

It indeed looks like a shitty job, but I would be glad to help you out when I get to it.

Most likely January because work keeps on getting in my way, I'll keep you posted.

Hmm... Does anyone have a source for that optocoupler in the States (or Canada?). I simply can not seem to order anything from that Conrad site. I've tried it in German, British, and their "International" site and USA isn't one of the choices from the dropdown location.

If that optocoupler isn't available does anyone have an alternate that does the same thing that can be obtained from like Cutter or Mouser?

Ordered all my LEDs today (with Chris' help) and have tracked down everything except this optocoupler deal.

Chris! I go away for a year and this is what I come back to??? Perfection. You should write a book... "How to build the perfect VP cab".

Crazy good.

Guys, we have to stop complementing Chris on his build, he is beginning to get cocky :laugh:

On the bright side: he has stutter too :bike:

Just kidding offcourse...

hehehe pixel, you have to change your point of view :D

try this:

1. watch rudy's nose for about 10 seconds

2. close your eyes

3. now look at a white wall and flash with your eyes/lids

4. report your results :deal::reddy:

1: who is rudy, and why do i want to know him ?

2: with rudy around me, i think not !

3: what kind of mushrooms you think i am on ?

4: done !

Chris! I go away for a year and this is what I come back to??? Perfection. You should write a book... "How to build the perfect VP cab".

Crazy good.

Chris, your work is simply stunning! Seriously, you should really write a book. For all the wannabe VP cab maker around (me included :o), you cab is the ultimate achievement. :adore:

Can't wait to see the final result with an in action video.

thanks man!

as h4ck3r posted before, the whole virtual pinball story is a growing thing. without help from you guys (the hp/vp community) it wouldn't be the same. everyone profits from this awesome "idea-pool".

I am glad when I can give a little bit back to this great community :beer:

Archived