chriz99

Big Bang Pin - 46/30/15.6 LED Widebody (custom artwork, bezel less, deep playfield)

Man, I need one of these!! I can't believe how good the play-field and back "glass" look.

I love the artwork on it too!

Def on my list of to get/build!

Welcome back my fellow Dutchman !

It could help on some newer CPU boards, but you are better of using the new config without PWM from the LEDwiz site (topic found here).

Or just start over with the new alternative being developed at the moment, you can find more info over here.

Nice to see you back njay !

Dam ive been out also.

thats a lot of options!

little update

DSC03539%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPG

time to install some (hidden) RGB LED strips on the cabinets bottom, wired parallel to the flipper buttons. think this gives an nice effect.

Hello Chris, glad to see you're still adding to this project. I'm still marvelling at all the little upgrade ideas you have! The collage photo in the previous page is awesome...

My project on the other hand is moving at a snail's pace due to other commitments taking priority... I'm currently wiring up the lightshow, solenoids and shaker and am aiming to get them in place before Christmas.

I'm using an LEDWiz configuration close to 'chris2' on Pixelmagics webtool, not sure if this is you? Anyway I was wondering if you could give me a quick hand on your fuse setup. I'm going for the 500ma fuses on the individual LEDWiz outputs, then a 5A between my PSU and the LEDWiz. I was just wondering how you've fused up your shaker and knocker, individually with a 10A fuse?

Also, have you connected all of of your power inlets on the LEDWiz?

Cheers dude :)

thanks guys! :beer:

"chris2" is my config @ pixels webtool. I am using 32x 500mA fuses for each ledwiz outpur and a 8A fuse for the PSU. Knocker and Shaker without additional fuse.

all ports on ledwiz uses 12vdc, besides the knocker (27vdc). knocker uses a 12vdc relay which powers a 24/27vdc psu.

installed the rgb-strips and the relay-board. I love the bottom-light effect, it's a nice feeling when you play "white water" and everything on the floor is blue like water :D

DSC03580%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPG

DSC03593%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03591%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03594%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03595%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03596%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03598%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03600%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPGDSC03603%252520%252528Gro%2525C3%25259F%252529.JPG

Hi Chris,

Cool affect on the floor!

Did you make the relay board?

I was looking at doing this along the edge of my playfield with RGB leds but hadn't worked out to control several amps at 12V - this looks ideal if its a retail product?

Cheers

Shifters

What kind of strips did you use ?

On ebay I only found strips packages with controllers and/or amplifiers.

simply search ebay for "5m rgb led", there are different sets with and without controller/amps. price range 20-30 bucks.

Chris,

May I ask a wiring question?

I assume the three connections from the ledwiz RGB port for the flipper RGB run to the In1, In2 and In3 inputs on the stand up pins with a GND and 12V on VCC?

Then each of the RGB three cables from the LEDS run to one of the relays with a 12V to the centre terminal of each relay?

When ledwiz switch the output on, you get a choice of eight colours (well black is a colour :embarassed: ) depending on which of the three outputs it enables?

You may have notice I am not hot on electronics :P

Love the effect though!

Found a hong kong vendor with the same board may take a gamble and order one while i wait for my ledwiz to arrive.

cheers

shifters

Thanks Chris!

The Thread should be titled 'Bend your head around this .... and this .... and this ... cos its all really cool !!!! :cool::cool::cool:

So many toys so little cab space !!! Chris must have TARDIS stamped on his some place!

cheers

Shifters

Edited by shifters67

Chris,

I went with the same motherboard as you but once I had both video cards in I noticed the sound card installed in the PCI slot blocks the fan of my second video card. Not completely, but blocks it >50%. Does your sound card block your video card fan intake?

I was wondering if I went with a PCIe sound card in the first slot, if that would reduce my PCI lanes for the video cards or would that be a viable solution rather than using a PCI sound card in the last slot?

Great work by the way...

BH

my gtx260 has a 2 fan design, so it's no big problem with a pci soundcard (1 fan is still free). if you go with a pci-e soundcard, be sure it has an own, dedicated sound cpu (otherwise you can use your onboard sound, since a cheapo soundcard makes no sense).

i don't think it affects your gpu pci-e lanes.

Agreed - awesome!

Just ordered an Arduino and thinking of controlling a set on the bottom and the back of the cab with two of the relay boards (or one of PMI's boards)!

As my machine is in a dark corner, i should get some nice light bounce off the wall and floor :D

cheers

Shifters

thanks guys! :beer:

"chris2" is my config @ pixels webtool. I am using 32x 500mA fuses for each ledwiz outpur and a 8A fuse for the PSU. Knocker and Shaker without additional fuse.

all ports on ledwiz uses 12vdc, besides the knocker (27vdc). knocker uses a 12vdc relay which powers a 24/27vdc psu.

Cheers for this information Chris!! You're a great help :)

Hi Chris,

Getting ready to start my build again and had a few questions. How far into the cab does the flipper / leaf / led go? Where did you get the led holders? What flipper buttons are you using? How long is the shaft? Where can those LED boards be purchased?

Thanks,

-Ron

Edited by Takedown

hey ron, check out these pics:

installed original flipper buttons (crystal clear) with leaf switches and bent a selfmade LED holder for button illumination. got the RGB-LED boards from wolfsoft.de

DSC01711%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC01708%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC01712%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

DSC01717%252520%252528Large%252529.JPG

I drilled a diagonal hole in the wood and slid a rgb led through against the shaft of the button.

Worked a treat.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By incessant
      Hi guys! I recently finished my newest project and thought I would share it. If I can figure out how to upload photos here  I will do that too.

As with most MAME projects, the majority of the time is in the software. We had a difficult time getting both guns to work in MAME, and after pulling our hair out for a couple of days we found a thread mentioning that dual light gun support is broken in the newest version. We got an older version and BOOM. 
      There is still some software work a head. I have not tried to tackle dual light guns in M2. I may not bother. 

I used the Ultimarc AimTrak guns. They had the best reviews in my research. They function very well. While it is impossible to get them optimized perfectly for every game, after some long hours in the individual game calibrations, I have the happiest medium I think I will find. Some games work much better (and more accurately) than others. 
      For example the hunting games are dead center at the middle of the screen, but end up about 2" off at the sides. I don't know if there is anyway to correct for that. Also some games play better at different distances. Overall, I am very please with it. There are probably a handful of games that play terrific, and the rest have their issues. 

We used 2 nanoLED USB controllers and LEDBlinky to automate.

The holsters are 3D printed.

The original speakers are being used along with a super cheap 5W amp and a 100W yamaha subwoofer. 

We used a Windows 7 PC. I hate the load times, but sadly the aimtraks only work with windows.

Nano Led

AimTraks

Maquee

RGB LED Lights JUST fit in the buttons

CP Art

Custom TV & Marquee Stand

Painted Marquee

Maquee and Tv Mounted

CP Attached

Finished

Sorry Guys! I Don't know why some of the photos are rotated :/

• By newoski
      RocketBlinky is a 3rd-party tool that can, in a matter of minutes, auto-generate an LEDBlinkyControls.xml supporting over 160 HyperSpin systems. Translation: It takes 99% of the work out of setting up LEDBlinky.

Demo Video:
    • By 123fakestreet
      On the left, the original 1982 Mr. & Mrs. Pac-Man Pinball. To the right, the replica. Thank you to all cabinet builders for the inspiration, especially chriz99 and mameman!

Playfield Cabinet

The front and back corners are cut at 45 degrees, with miter splines for strength. I also used wood bracing on the inside corners under the leg brackets. The leg bracket holes were drilled at 25/64" which gave a little wiggle room to tighten fully. One problem I ran into: I cut the slots for the side rail plastic channels at 1/16" with a router and Harbor Freight slot cutter set, but after painting they weren't wide enough to hammer the rails down into, so I had to redo that. Slots for the TV were routed to 1/2" leaving only 1/4" thickness. I was worried about this in back with the weight of the backboxes so I made 2 bracing pieces to reinforce. The TV ended up being slim enough to install (fully cased) from the top, if I had realized that earlier I would not have routed the slots all the way back. Because there is a Samsung logo tab sticking out on the bottom of the TV, it sits slightly off-center to the right in the cabinet despite the routing, it is only about 1/8" off though. The remote works fine (needed for switching to 3D) as the sensor is on the bottom right of the TV so ends up near the buttons on the left side. 3D does work, check out the thread by toxie for more info. Because the Samsung UN46ES7100 is active shutter, you need two pairs of glasses turned sideways for it to work and not see black bars. This does make it hard to see the backglass and DMD, and the resolution is cut in half to achieve 3D. I don't turn on the 3D very often but it's nice to have, I did angle the TV downward anyway so it gives some illusion of depth though 2D.

3/4" Birch Plywood
      Kreg 1-1/4" Course Pocket Screws (every 6 inches, 2 inches from edges, with wood glue)
      46" Samsung UN46ES7100
      Widebody Lockdown bar
      Williams/Bally Lockdown Bar Lever Guide Assembly
      BLACK KNIGHT (Williams) Side rails pair
      Spiral nail .15" dia. x 3/4"
      Screw 6-32 x 5/8" hex
      4X Pin Cushion Cabinet Protectors
      4X Williams/Bally New Style Leg Bracket
      4X Heavy Duty Leg Leveler With Nut
      4X Leg Leveler Rubber Castors
      4X Bally Gray Legs
      2X Williams/Bally WPC/WPC95 Playfield Glass Side Rail Plastic Channel
      Williams/Bally WIDEBODY Playfield Glass Rear Plastic Channel
      Grill - speaker 7" x 7"
      Vent grill - metal 2-1/2" x 19" (cut to size)
      3/16" Smoked Plexiglass
      1-1/8" Double-Bitted Lock
      Lock Plate
      Piano Hinge

Upper Backbox (A bit taller and wider to fit screen)

Also routed to 1/2" to recess the decased screen as much as possible. Routing on all sides presented a problem, how to get the TV in there? I ended up leaving the right side unglued so it is removable, the hole in the bottom is large enough to get a screwdriver in there and tighten with pocket screws. The top trim piece is not glued in as it would cover the screw holes holding things together.

3/4" Birch Plywood
      1/4" MDF (Backglass retainers)
      Kreg 1-1/4" Course Pocket Screws (every 6 inches, 2 inches from edges, with wood glue)
      (all plastic/metal trim was cut to size with a Dremel Fiberglass Cut-Off Wheel)
      30" NEC LCD3000 (originally Dell W3000 but it would not turn on reliably, a common issue I have read online)
      Trim backglass 3/16" side plastic set-3
      Bally Stainless Lift Trim
      3/16" Smoked Plexiglass

Lower Backbox (A bit taller and wider to fit screen)

For now, I am using the HannsG instead of a real DMD. (I wanted to use custom color settings and not have the intense reflection on the playfield glass) It is routed about 1/2" and wedged in there tightly. I had to make the box taller, which I justified by having the combined height of the backboxes be the same as a Williams widebody. Theare are 2 pieces of plexiglass with a paper bezel inbetween.

3/4" Birch Plywood
      1/2" MDF (Backglass retainers)
      (all plastic/metal trim was cut to size with a Dremel Fiberglass Cut-Off Wheel)
      15.6" HannsG HK162
      Trim backglass 3/16" side plastic set-3
      Bally Stainless Lift Trim
      1/8" Smoked Plexiglass, 1/16" Smoked Plexiglass

Stencils

Ideally a spray gun is the way to go with stencils, but I like the control of using a foam roller, although it requires a lot of touch up. 2 coats of latex Kilz2 primer, and then latex Glidden Satin Interior, 3 coats blue (Rhapsody), 5 coats yellow (Sunny Side Up), 5 coats pink (Passion Flower) The black was done with 2 coats Zinnser BIN primer (spray can) and 2-3 coats Rustoleum Satin Black (spray can). One thing I re-learned about spray paint, if you're going to do more than one coat, don't space them out too long, I did a second coat of black the next day and it puckered, had to redo it. Another coat should be applied within an hour.

Bally Coin door/Cash box

I took the coin door completely apart and used a wet sanding sponge (up and down for uniform grain) to buff out scratches, it worked great, used the same on the trim. For the coin insert panel/coin mechs and chutes I used steel wool. I wired the lights in series to the PC, using an extra molex to SATA adaptor to splice the wires. #161 bulbs are the correct voltage. I put the shooter rod/knob in the drill and spun it in steel wool, shined it all up, did the same for the coin return button. You can use steel wool on the cash box, but it takes off the zinc coating, leaving it clean and shiny but different than the original.

Bally Coin Door & Trim
      Bally Cash Box
      Bally Sticker
      3X Bally price plates
      Carriage bolt set
      7/8" Coin Door Lock - Single Bitted
      #161 Eiki Bulbs

Sound

The integrated sound on this motherboard is from Realtek, nothing special but you can route seperate audio streams to front and back outputs, which is now a feature in visual Pinball. (Doesn't work in Future Pinball, sound only comes from the primary backbox speakers) I have the Logitech Z506 5.1 speakers on the back outputs, and the Logitech S220 2.1 speakers on the front headphone jack. So backbox rom sound is separated from cabinet mechanical sounds. I am missing authentic force feedback, but I can control the volume of the whole cabinet. I copied the small bottom vent holes in the original cabinet, and the speakers are placed nearby. In the lower backbox, the speakers are facing toward the bottom hole that overhangs the playfield. I like that the speakers aren't right in my face, and without a speaker panel all 3 screens are blank when turned off.

Logitech Z506
      Logitech S220

PC

The playfield cabinet is not as tall as a Williams widebody, so I could not fit a shelf for the PC above where the legs attach. Because of this I just kept the PC in its case, which could technically be pulled out the back if needed, a tight sqeeze though.

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
      Intel DP55KG Motherboard
      Intel Core i7-860 2.80GHz
      Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333
      Samsung SSD 830 Series 128GB
      Antec Sonata Designer 500 Case
      2X Galaxy GeForce GTS 250 1GB
      2X Nexus 92mm Real Silent Case Fan
      750W Antec Earthwatts Power Supply
      Smart Strip LCG3 Surge Protector
      Logitech mk260 wireless Keyboard & Mouse
      (these work OK but sometimes lag)

Buttons

Coin return button=cabinet on
      The PC momentary switch is in the first coin mech, I just cut off the square top of the switch so it works. Not all coin mechs fit this method, I had to use a metal one from a Ms. Pac-Man. The PC is plugged into the Control Outlet on the Smart Strip and automatically switches everything else on.
      Coin door start button=Start (also I-PAC2 shift button)
      L Flipper Front (shifted=L Nudge)
      R Flipper Front (shifted=R Nudge)
      L Flipper Back=secondary L flipper/magna save/buy-in (shifted=Insert Coin)
      R Flipper Back=secondary R flipper/magna save (shifted=Exit)
      I didn't put in any analog nudging, maybe if I improve at pinball I will, because the above shift settings are not very functional.
      Shooter (shifted=Fwd Nudge, Genre in Hyperpin)
      The shooter hits a microswitch wired backwards as NC (Normally Closed)
      I used Speedbor bits for the button holes, 5/8 & 1-1/8.

I-PAC2
      4X NOS 1-1/8 short Leaf Switch Buttons
      4X PAL nut 5/8"
      4X VPCLeaf Switch (works well with I-PAC2 low current)
      Switch - miniature drop bar target
      Bally Shooter

Ventilation

I replicated the original backbox vents, which I wouldn't recommend as most projects have large strong fans. I routed out a long air intake under the cab for the PC, and there's also the speaker hole, which was done with a router using a makeshift jig. I ran a 92mm case fan up into the bottom hole of the lower backbox, and another for the upper backbox, so it has upward airflow. I didn't notice excessive heat in the lower cabinet, the upper backbox (NEC LCD3000) gets hotter though. I covered the routed area in the upper backbox with thermal aluminum tape. I was still a bit concerned about airflow so in the end left the back slightly unhinged and have a small desk fan route air out the back.