Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

HyperSpin 1.5.1 Public Release

fr0stbyt3

3 hours ago, dark13 said:

The only way to "prevent" is creating a 4:3 theme and a 16:9 theme, background really needs 2 different assets as the "logic" of spacing is different :P . The problem is most themes were made before quick methods to support crisp looking 16:9 were discovered (basically you need to have flash to deal with the ratio conversion itself), so theme creators haven't done 16:9 themes.
Using Adobe flash and my .jsfl scripts it is possible to convert a theme to 16:9 without any knowledge of flash BUT backgrounds need to be redone.

I understand what you're saying, but to be clear, I was referring to having to open up all of my artwork in photoshop and reduce the width to 75% for everything. It's a serious pain, and once you do it, you can't reuse your artwork for anything else. You open it up in RocketLauncher's Pause, and it looks terrible. You can't sym link the distorted artwork to another front end to save space.

A lot of the best themes available are not easily fixed. Part of the appeal of alternative frontends is not having to deal with any of that. I personally just leave everything in 4:3, even though the stretch is annoying.

2 minutes ago, SupraKarma said:

I understand what you're saying, but to be clear, I was referring to having to open up all of my artwork in photoshop and reduce the width to 75% for everything. It's a serious pain, and once you do it, you can't reuse your artwork for anything else. You open it up in RocketLauncher's Pause, and it looks terrible. You can't sym link the distorted artwork to another front end to save space.

That's true, RocketLauncher will display the squeezed picture, I don't use Hyperpause but for those that do, it can be annoying.

Crafting each theme and squeezing images became natural for me, it demands more work than just creating a 4:3 theme, no doubt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SupraKarma said:

I was referring to having to open up all of my artwork in photoshop and reduce the width to 75% for everything. It's a serious pain, and once you do it, you can't reuse your artwork for anything else. You open it up in RocketLauncher's Pause, and it looks terrible. You can't sym link the distorted artwork to another front end to save space.

Install adobe flash and use my scripts (link in signature), they can massively transform 4:3 assets to 16:9 assets, they actually embedd 4:3 assets in a .swf and tell flash to display the asset 75% on x axis. It also add "smooth" flag, the artwork will look better than a resized .png in photoshop. You can simply open them with notepad to do modification, you can design at 4k and let the script resize the artwork for 1024*768 (not a good idea to use 4k assets in flash TBH, it can handle 1080p).
You can also use photoshop's actions for resizing: just record a resizing then launch the action on the whole assets folder

p.s. as far as i know RL can use assets of its own, is this wrong?

It can, but should I really have to set up 90+ systems worth of RocketLauncher media, when it is capable of pulling the media right from your folders? :)

It's cool that you have tools that can make the job easier, don't get me wrong. But it's still a job, and it's still a hassle. With Launchbox, you drop your 4:3 (I shouldn't even have to call it that) artwork in the folder and you're done. (And RocketLauncher sees it and uses it, with no extra configuration required).

Just out of curiosity, do your scripts resize swf files in themes as well?

10 minutes ago, SupraKarma said:

Just out of curiosity, do your scripts resize swf files in themes as well?

No, it can convert only .png. As far as i remember you can load .swf into flash and set 75% on x axis for the imported .swf and export a new .swf (not sure about that).

TBH as far as i remember you can force HS to 16:9 using stage properties inside a .swf but wheel centering become f***ed up...

6 hours ago, deathklock said:

I was just curious if anyone else is getting virus scanner alerts with the 1.5.1 upgrade?

I did. Forgot what trojan it said it found. Just told Windows to restore file and ignore.

6 hours ago, Bungles said:

Great to see you back @dark13. Would love to know how that synopsis artwork file works.. It the last piece of my HS Puzzle and I am sure many others.

That skin runs around 1600 lines of actionscript3 code.
In flash you can read the full path of the opened .swf, so you get something like C:/Hyperspin/media/Sega Genesis/Images/Artwork1/3 Ninjas Kick Back (USA) once you have this you run some string manipulation to get the name of the rom, the system and the installation path of hyperspin. At this point you can load the system's xml, get the descrition of the rom, remove the double line breaks of windows files, display and animate it.
You don't need to create a .swf per rom, it's always the same .swf renamed with rom's name (you can batch .bat renaming script once you have N copies of the file with names turned into numbers with something like "lupas renamer").
The downside is I havent' found a way to load an external font so it needs to be embedd (anyway embedd font is faster), the scrolling text size can be configurable directly in the .xml.
I can release a .swf that makes the magic right now (to use it in a theme you'll have just to open the .fla in flash, change the font (optional) and change settings in the .xml) but the .xml files are not ready yet.
BBB says as3 coding into a .swf can cause memory leaking but fortunately this issue has not been reported (probably because PCs have lots of ram right now). Technically ram usage is surely a problem in flash but time by time flash reader runs garbage collector to flush every unused items from ram, the problem is sometimes it can't really flush it (memory leaking problems have been spotted in flash itself, not only in HS)

• Like 1

Thanks for the run down.
Well perhaps they can look to add more xml display options in the future release like the Description, Year and Developer currently.

Score, Synopsis, Players etc would be great.

• Like 1

Thanks for the run down.
Well perhaps they can look to add more xml display options in the future release like the Description, Year and Developer currently.
Score, Synopsis, Players etc would be great.
We have you covered [emoji6]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Super Like 1

That been happening for long time I just set HyperSpin folder as an exclusion. False positive with Windows Defender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This will be resolved in the future. It has to do with how the code was compiled. Unfortunately there isn't much I can do in the current framework.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

17 hours ago, gator99 said:

So I never noticed before that defender thinks the exe are trojans....  Trojan:Win32/Tiggre!plock - a little bothersome but.... if you all say it is OK?

Yeah, again it's a false positive. As posted above, "just set HyperSpin folder as an exclusion".

1 hour ago, Darkdinho said:

antivirus is erasing HyperSpin.exe \ HyperHQ.exe accusing of viruses, I will have to disable Defender it to threat :(

No, please read fr0stbyt3s post above, this has been said many times before. You do not need to switch off Defender,  go to the settings for Defender and set Hyperspin as an exclusion. 

• Like 1

1803 is a real nightmare. Half of my GoG titles stopped working, Photoshop and zbrush have strange hiccups (both up to date) and HyperSpin was reported as a virus. I disabled Defender, excluded both the .exe and the holder, worked fine but after a reboot it was deleted again.

Going back to LTSB for good and unfortunately without a real license. 1803 is the Windows ME of Windows 10. :bad:

5 hours ago, matchaman said:

1803 is a real nightmare. Half of my GoG titles stopped working, Photoshop and zbrush have strange hiccups (both up to date) and HyperSpin was reported as a virus. I disabled Defender, excluded both the .exe and the holder, worked fine but after a reboot it was deleted again.

Going back to LTSB for good and unfortunately without a real license. 1803 is the Windows ME of Windows 10. :bad:

Never heard of the LTSB before, were you using it without problems with your GOG library?

Guess I won't be updating to the latest version of Windows. I also have a lot of GOG and old PC games that are working but probably will have problems with 1803 update.

It's a "LTS-style" variant of the Enterprise edition. It contains zero bloatware, won't do automatic updates except for security patches (no new features) but it's near impossible to get a legal license as a retail customer.

The main problem with regular editions of Windows 10 is that updates can't really be disabled, unless you mess up with the registry (and Microsoft will find a way to bypass that, I'm pretty sure).

4 hours ago, matchaman said:

It's a "LTS-style" variant of the Enterprise edition. It contains zero bloatware, won't do automatic updates except for security patches (no new features) but it's near impossible to get a legal license as a retail customer.

The main problem with regular editions of Windows 10 is that updates can't really be disabled, unless you mess up with the registry (and Microsoft will find a way to bypass that, I'm pretty sure).

Yeah, since you mentioned this version I researched and it seems the best version for me as well, it`s something like the Windows XP days, even Windows 7, when we only received security updates, since Windows 8 we became test subjects for Microsoft, I'm jumping to LTSB too, I'll install it in a spare small HDD I have and make some tests, but I know I'm gonna like it.

@matchaman, I installed LTSB Windows 10 version and it was the best thing I ever did for a long time since Windows 8, then 8.1 and 10 (with those ridiculous updates), this version is by far much faster and smoother than my previous Windows 10 build, not even OneDrive comes pre installed, just the system itself with Windows Defender updates.

hyperspin-e1513703791494.png.62dcdafb3b46186de790dbc9e0cbd980.png  clipart-approved-business-stamp-1-256x256-a481.png.f21ae438b3bf43849807039e3765cc1f.png

• Like 1
  • Super Like 1

9 hours ago, Aorin said:

@matchaman, I installed LTSB Windows 10 version and it was the best thing I ever did for a long time since Windows 8, then 8.1 and 10 (with those ridiculous updates), this version is by far much faster and smoother than my previous Windows 10 build, not even OneDrive comes pre installed, just the system itself with Windows Defender updates.

Do you notice speed and/or a performance increase while playing more recent retro games?