Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Big Bang Pin - 46/30/15.6 LED Widebody (custom artwork, bezel less, deep playfield)

chriz99

OK, but you have to be very skilful and exact, all in all you have to know what you are doing very very well, and not to be clumsy at all. It looks like you are half cabinetmaker (hihi!), half professional designer and half pro electrician - hey! - that's one and a half! ;)

I have to admit that without the help of a friend of mine who is a master of engineering I would never be in the position to do the electronic stuff you have in your machine...

Nevertheless I would like to thank you that you posted that many pictures, that you created a ingenious faq (for your last machine) and that you are an inspiring example what can be done!

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Chris,

You said you are using coinmechs. Do you use real currency or did you rebuild your mechs for tokens? If you use real currency, what value do they have (€ 0,20, € 0,50, € 1,00 or € 2,00)?

Best regards, Ton

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good evening Chris,

The wait is over for me. I'm finally getting the pinball parts, and will start the build beg. January.

I've managed to find a vishay DMD for the cab, but I'm not really sure how it should be powered..

I've read your thread for an answer, but could not find anything :(

Could you please let me know if you are using an external power supply for it? And if so, where you could find it?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Good evening Chris,

The wait is over for me. I'm finally getting the pinball parts, and will start the build beg. January.

I've managed to find a vishay DMD for the cab, but I'm not really sure how it should be powered..

I've read your thread for an answer, but could not find anything :(

Could you please let me know if you are using an external power supply for it? And if so, where you could find it?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

You will need a pindmd board to push display to the device, and either a 5v or 12v supply depending on the model of dmd you have. ( the led models use 5v and the plasma versions use normally use 12v )

Sent from my mind, using the psychic friends network..

Thanks a lot Mikekim. I've already sent a request for the pindmd board, and will just have to be patient to receive it. :)

For the PSU, will probably get the following model for my led dmd:

http://www.arcadeshop.de/Power-Supply-Power-Supply-130W-5/12/-5V_338.html

If anyone used a better one, or even cheaper, it would be great to hear from you :)

Good luck with your build BTW, I could see that you have some troubles with the PC's setting.

• 3 weeks later...

I would be incredibly grateful if you Chriz99, or somebody else willing to help, could help me out with the measurements of the original williams standard speakerpanel. For my own recreation I would need the total width and hight of the panel as such, as well as the diameter of the speaker slots, the measurements of the DMD slot and the measurements between the side of the panel and the speaker slots as well as between the speaker slots and the dmd. I know I am asking for a lot, but it would reallly, really support me in my effort to finish my backbox properly :) Thank you so much for helping out a fellow pinhead who despite months of awe-inspired reading and tagging along is still somewhat of a noob in many fields of this great hobby :itsme:

• 1 month later...
with this RGB-LED combo the LEDwiz runs way over the specification. I used 27ohm and 68ohm 10watt 10% resistors, which gives about 400mA on each LEDwiz output. Without a big heatsink on the LEDwiz driverchips and a placement directly in the "wind circulation" - I think my LEDwiz would burn.

IMO better use opto relays/high current driverboards or a really big heatsink and a good fan circulation around the LEDwiz.

This is what I've been trying to figure out...would you be able to provide a quick diagram of how you wired the pairs of CREE RGB together?

• 8 months later...

What an incredible project!!! I've had experience of building my own Mame cabinets before and I'm now planning a Hyperpin cabinet. I know nothing about building a pinball project though and I'm researching hard. I;ve already learned some ideas from this thread though and it's taken 3+ hours of carefully reading every page of it!

Once question I have right now is the Siemens contactors you used. Which ones exactly (part nos?) did you buy? I noticed you used 8 to begin with and had a softer one for rear bumpers. I'd like to replicate this if possible. However I have read that some contactors are not responsive enough and don't always activate when called upon in very quick use. How did you find these to work? Do they go off correctly when the ball bounces about very quickly within the bumpers etc?

I use 12VDC siemens 3rt1016-1ba42 contactors. 12VDC ones are harder to find and more expensive like 24VDC siemens contactors, so better go the 24VDC route. the sound and the speed of the contactors (12VDC vs 24VDC) is identical. I posted a video on my youtube channel.

the speed of these contactors is very fast, check out the various vids with pinball force feedback stuff during gameplay. there is also a new pinball ledwiz software called DOF in development ( http://vpuniverse.com/forums/forum/119-direct-output-general-discussion/ ) with faster pinmame/vpinball "connection".

I use 12VDC siemens 3rt1016-1ba42 contactors. 12VDC ones are harder to find and more expensive like 24VDC siemens contactors, so better go the 24VDC route. the sound and the speed of the contactors (12VDC vs 24VDC) is identical. I posted a video on my youtube channel.

Many thanks for the quick reply! I managed to find a stockist locally to me and they have various 24VDC ones available. They don't have any 12VDC ones though. So which do I go for out of this lot? They range in price from just under £30 to over £80 so this is gonna be expensive. I can buy just one to try it out and then get more later.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp?N=100445+2031+212894+110152808&No=0&getResults=true&appliedparametrics=true&locale=en_UK&divisionLocale=en_UK&catalogId=&skipManufacturer=false&skipParametricAttributeId=&prevNValues=100445+2031+212894&mm=1002754||,&filtersHidden=false&appliedHidden=false&autoApply=false&originalQueryURL=%2Fjsp%2Fsearch%2Fbrowse.jsp%3FN%3D100445%2B2031%2B212894%26No%3D0%26getResults%3Dtrue%26appliedparametrics%3Dtrue%26locale%3Den_UK%26divisionLocale%3Den_UK%26catalogId%3D%26skipManufacturer%3Dfalse%26skipParametricAttributeId%3D%26prevNValues%3D100445%2B2031%2B212894

Archived